• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hiatus over

tiger275

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all.

By way of introduction, I am a long time owner of a SX230 (since 2008) and was an active participant in "the other board". I actually was the one that started the member map over there but as many of you know, it was too time consuming to maintain. We live in East TN (south of Knoxville) on Ft. Loudon lake and try to boat just about every weekend. Since we live only a few minutes from the manufacturer of the old AR towers, we added a New Dimensions tower to our boat shortly after getting it so we are one of the few SX you see floating around with a "factory looking" tower. We had a "stupidity moment" 18 months ago that required a bunch of gel-coat work and a new tower. We are back in action now. We have done a few mods to the boat but are looking to do some sound system upgrades, add perfect pass and perhaps deal with some ballast. Also considering an upgrade from the original Cobra Jet Fins.

Anyway, I am happy to be back and look forward to participating in this great community.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome! I also upgraded from the original cobras to a larger fin that moves up when at speed and I love the better handling at low speed and the jet-boatiness as high speed.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tiger275 glad to have you on board, we just couldn't get that old member map to get enough traction,

Be sure to check out our FAQ section with lots of great info,

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @tiger275 to the site. Glad that you found us and decided to join.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome back @tiger275.

I would offer that you could run the member map here but it is completely automated except for reminders for members to add their location to their profile.

When you bought a new tower did you stick with New Dimensions or are they no longer available?

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Welcome!!! lets see a picture of that tower!:winkingthumbsup"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tiger275

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome @tiger275 glad you found us! Was your stupidity moment on the water or on the trailer? I've wondered about the tower height of my new 242X and fear low bridges!
Well, technically neither.... actually it happened on my dock. We bought a new house with a covered dock and electric lift. Well, in a moment of stupidity, I walked away from the boat while it was lifting.....no limit switch....tower hit main beam of covered dock....aluminum tower and fiberglass boat "bent" first.

You can see from these pics, the amount of "bend" involved. The main rail actually is supposed to follow the window line. The tower feet were pushed out around 4", the rails bent around the same amount.

The only good news in all of this is that the repair is FAR stronger then the original build. When they were doing the repair, I had them lay in many extra layers of glass from behind and included marine plywood and metal backer plates that cover a lot more area then the original plates.

tiger275

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome back @tiger275.

I would offer that you could run the member map here but it is completely automated except for reminders for members to add their location to their profile.

When you bought a new tower did you stick with New Dimensions or are they no longer available?
I stuck with New Dimensions. They stopped supplying the OEM towers for Yahama a long time ago (2006 or 2007 I think) but they are still in the business but since they are right around the corner from me so it was just too easy. As an added bonus, since they used my boat to make the original template for the tower on the 2008 SX230 models, it was super simple to build a replacement.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow!
I never thought about that on a lift, just assumed they all had buttons that when you let off the button it stopped.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That must have killed you when it happened!

tiger275

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Heart breaking....and boat breaking.

I had left someone else to watch it (my mistake) and just never assumed it could do that much damage. The sound was the worst part. Crack, Crunch, creak, groan.

tiger275

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome!!! lets see a picture of that tower!:winkingthumbsup"
You can see the 2008 version of the tower above. A small mod to the bimini legs to let them be compressed and then expanded back to full size allows use of the standard yamaha bimini. It is also fully collapsible. But This second time around, I decided to go with the attached bimini.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like how it folds forward like that.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome. Glad you made it over!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow @tiger275 thats a beautiful covered dock and lift set up. I wish my tower had the folding option. Man, that must've been a rough day as a boat owner when the damage occurred. But at least nobody got hurt!!!

tiger275

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow @tiger275 thats a beautiful covered dock and lift set up. I wish my tower had the folding option. Man, that must've been a rough day as a boat owner when the damage occurred. But at least nobody got hurt!!!
Thanks for the kind words about the dock. It came with the property so we didn't have much to do with the design, but it is suiting us quite well. Here are a few pics of a slightly different view of the dock. We will be adding a closet for storage, some lighting and a few other small touches but otherwise, just upkeep what we have