• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Home internet providers....wireless "G"....really?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
OK...so I have AT&T uverse, which I am very happy with, but one thing about it bugs the heck out of me....the router they provide uses wireless G! G went into official use in 2003...which in technical age should be obsolete and not in use anywhere...yet I'm not sure any other services have switch to N or dual band N etc...

Anyone have a provider supplied router that is better than G?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We have Comcast over here and they gave us a Wireless N dual band router. Good router/modem, but they automatically broadcast their own xfinitywifi network at the same time. Dumb. I ended up buying my own modem and router back when I had ATT, and then we switched to Comcast and used the same router (just a nice netgear wireless dual band whatever) but bought a cable modem.
Do some research!
If you are paying for a modem/router from a company, you can usually pay for buying one and pay for it in less than a year! Comcast was charging me $10 a month for the modem/router and I bought a modem for $65 and the router I had previously but you can buy a decent one for like $35 so for under $100, I save money in ONE YEAR.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Comcast has dual N around here. You may be able to call in and request an updated device.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use my own router, plugged directly into the UVerse box. This gives me better control and allows fow switching providers without changing everything in my house. The AT&T install guy gave me a hard time for it, but I explined that he only needs to worry about making one device work and he was ok with it.

Just be sure to keep the connection info to their box for testing/troubleshooting.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah....I have another router....but my shock in this is that UVerse is still using 12 year old technology! I called them and they said that is the best they have! Other than this issue, I've been happy with their service.

@MikeyL suggested like @robbo3 that I just go get my own DSL modem and Router and be done with all their equipment. When we first moved in I went to install my own router on their modem, but the two conflicted with each other as they were on the same frequency and I couldn't find a way to shut down the AT&T wireless....I was so busy moving in that I never returned to it......

But yesterday I was on the far side of my porch (don't normally sit way over there) and had no signal at all....WTF I think.....time to fix this!!!

Mikey likes the ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router....I've never bought a single ASUS product, so have no opinion.....have had many Cisco and Linksys products....bought one D-Link that was DOA....won't do that again.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had similar D-Link experiences, no more for me! I stay with Cisco/Linksys or Sonic Wall.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
not sure I understand the problem. If your DSL is 6Mbps (or even 18Mbps if you're very very lucky), whats wrong with the ISP providing a 54Mbps Access Point?

I'm stuck with DSL where I live. My issue is much more with the slower wired DSL speed than the Wireless AP speed. If I had an Internet connection that was faster then 50Mbps then I'd have issue with the 54Mb Access Point.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While the speed of G is ok on DSL, the range of G is very poor compared to the newer bands.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
While the speed of G is ok on DSL, the range of G is very poor compared to the newer bands.
Excellent point @Murf'n'surf. And that's where the ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router totally shines. In spades. It is known for having some of the highest signal strength of any of today's routers - resulting in longer range and especially in "difficult" home environments.
Hey ! Hoping everyone is enjoying a great week ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My wireless access point isn't always just my connection to the internet. I have 2 file servers I want to be able to hit with it, and move files (like GoPro files) around. I have some (not many) digital movies on these servers....moving them over 2.7ghz G is slow....over a 5ghz N band would be much faster! This became much more pronounced once I got my new desktop and began moving large gopro files around. The AT&T DSL modem isn't even gigabit WIRED.....I want GIGABIT wired at least!

@maboat this is a great article that answers your question (although old...still holds true):
http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/28/exploring_time_capsule_theoretical_speed_vs_practical_throughput.html

Here is the key to your question:

And I'll bet their real world throughput is relatively close to their equipment. Put me on my porch and that throughput will drop WELL below my 15MBS internet speed!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wireless access point isn't always just my connection to the internet. I have 2 file servers I want to be able to hit with it, and move files (like GoPro files) around. I have some (not many) digital movies on these servers....moving them over 2.7ghz G is slow....over a 5ghz N band would be much faster! This became much more pronounced once I got my new desktop and began moving large gopro files around. The AT&T DSL modem isn't even gigabit WIRED.....I want GIGABIT wired at least!

@maboat this is a great article that answers your question (although old...still holds true):
http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/28/exploring_time_capsule_theoretical_speed_vs_practical_throughput.html

Here is the key to your question:

And I'll bet their real world throughput is relatively close to their equipment. Put me on my porch and that throughput will drop WELL below my 15MBS internet speed!
Good points. Device to device connections suffer with G. I've never used the radio provided by ISP. I turn off the radio in the ISP supplied router and use my own radio using an ethernet port form the ISP router to the WAN port of my router. Give my router a static IP address outside of the ISP Router DHCP and disable DHCP on mine. I have two other wireless routers running DDWRT firmware that serve as wireless repeaters throughout the house and they are strategically placed to use the LAN ports for PS3, Wii, Slingbox, Directv box, AV receiver, etc. My biggest problem is remembering IP addresses of the router/bridges. I really should write them down one day.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If it make you guys feel any better, our local co-op cable provider will rent you a router/AP that you cannot configure in any way. So if you have a static assigned network like you would in a business, you need to turn off DHCP, need to change the subnet, etc, your hosed. To make it even better, they ship the router/AP with WEP as the assigned security.

Fortunately, like any other provider, you can just replace it with your own CPE (customer presence equipment) and do what you need. Julian, you need to go 802.11AC. The ASUS equipment is pretty solid, but I do find I need to reboot mine from time to time. I need to install DD-WRT or Tomato on it.

I'm getting a Meraki AP in the next few week with 802.11AC on it. Can't wait to try the thru put.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If it make you guys feel any better ......... CPE (customer presence equipment) and do what you need. Julian, you need to go 802.11AC.

The ASUS equipment is pretty solid, but I do find I need to reboot mine from time to time. I need to install DD-WRT or Tomato on it ..........
Just as an FYI, Neither me nor about 10 other close friends of mine (that I obtained and installed this particular router in) have ever needed to re-boot this specific ASUS wireless router in the past 2+ years. I am simply relaying that our experience is a little better than what @JetPowered experienced.
Wishing everyone a safe and DRY weekend coming up ! Mikey Lulejian

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If your moving to DSL, your moving backwards @Julian , I have it and I am WAY limited. But it is all I can get out in the country. The future is catching up, but it ain't fast enough! I am actually shocked that I am able to view 4K content on my DSL 15mb setup, but so far it works. If you can go anyway but DSL or cable, I would do it. If the wireless provides ability to "weather the storm" so to speak, when you have weather, then I would consider it.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand the need/desire for faster speed on your LAN, both wired and wireless. I can only get 3Mb DSL where I live :( but I still have my own beam-forming 802.11ac high-speed router with gigabit wired Ethernet for local access to my local file/media servers. :) That data does not go through AT&T so AT&T doesn't give me that equipment. :rolleyes:

The original post said that it bugs you AT&T doesn't provide faster wireless with your [DSL-based] U-verse service. What I'm trying to say is I understand why an ISP only includes a cheap router that is no faster than the Internet access you are buying. ;)

The part I didn't understand is the expectation for AT&T to provide (free) high-speed local network connections that are only within your home network and don't go through the Internet connection. o_O Unless they are somehow preventing you from adding your own personal equipment to run a higher-speed home network, then I guess I didn't understand what the problem was. :confused:

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand the need/desire for faster speed on your LAN, both wired and wireless. I can only get 3Mb DSL where I live :( but I still have my own beam-forming 802.11ac high-speed router with gigabit wired Ethernet for local access to my local file/media servers. :) That data does not go through AT&T so AT&T doesn't give me that equipment. :rolleyes:

The original post said that it bugs you AT&T doesn't provide faster wireless with your [DSL-based] U-verse service. What I'm trying to say is I understand why an ISP only includes a cheap router that is no faster than the Internet access you are buying. ;)

The part I didn't understand is the expectation for AT&T to provide (free) high-speed local network connections that are only within your home network and don't go through the Internet connection. o_O Unless they are somehow preventing you from adding your own personal equipment to run a higher-speed home network, then I guess I didn't understand what the problem was. :confused:
Using that logic they should only supply a "modem" and run it directly to one computer like back in the day :). The point is that they are providing a wireless router and the expectation would be that folks would use it in a common fashion and the gear would be suited for the task in today's environment...not years ago. Just my 2 cents.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just find it astonishing that any company providing technology gets away with providing something that is 12 years old.....which in terms of technology is beyond obsolete.....

Funny part is that I've not replaced it in 4 years!

And I'm off to India again soon....to its going to have to wait until I return!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my town they are pulling fiber to the house to upgrade the connection. I should have it in a month or so. I have 50Mb/s service with 3 wireless routers arranged around the house, the provider one (which is very good) and a pair of ASUS RT-66N. One thing you should always do is scan your neighborhood air using a wireless scan utility like "inSSIDer3". Then you can adjust your routers to use channels no else is using. Cam.