• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How are these new 3 cylinder engines?

soundshark

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry if I'm behind the curve on this one but I just noticed Yamaha switched over their Waverunner engines from 4 to 3 cylinders (TR-1, I believe). I suspect these will go into the new model boats as well.
How are these engines compared to the 4 bangers?

Smaller lighter and less horsepower. Great for a pwc not so much for a boat. They are based on the 3 cylinder snowmobile engine. My wife's sled has the 3 cylinder genesis 1049cc 130hp engine.

We will know more when the 2017 info is released at 8:00 EST.

I used to own a 2014 waverunner VX, with the 1 liter 4 cyl engine, and was very happy with the power (not sure the HP)
It sounds like Yamaha actually lowered the power output on newer models :confused:

Cant find anything on the website about 1049cc HP and the 1812cc HP. . . . Could they have saved that much weight that the speed is the same?

I thought they were smaller, lighter, and more HP? I remember reading somewhere saying it was 13% more powerful than the MR1 it's replacing.

I thought they were smaller, lighter, and more HP? I remember reading somewhere saying it was 13% more powerful than the MR1 it's replacing.
It's mostly about horsepower to weight ratio. Fuel mileage and lower end torque are also considerations though.

They actually seem to fall in between the MR-1 (110 HP) and MR-1 HO (160 HP) engines in power. They should be a good performer on a SX210 or AR210 model, replacing the older MR-1 non-HO engines

I have 2 VX Deluxe jetskis with the TR1 engines. They are lighter, smaller AND 13% MORE horsepower. I am very satisfied.

iv'e just come back to this board, with this exact question. chimin into old thread for fun....

spent the weekend down at LOTO.... rode a ski for the first time since I was just a wee lad. they are SOOOOOOOO much nicer and WAAAY more fun than I Remember. (2 stroke tiny kawasaki) I am actually sort of sad I havent given them a chance over the years. MY friend bought a supercharged 240hp monster, and naturally....keepin up with the jones'... I wanted to check it out.... LOL thats how it works with us...quads, bikes, guitars,guns... now waverunners. :)

Rental was a vx with 1100. I got it to 45 mph, and that was good enough for me, hittin huge cruiser wakes.... Its the Off season now, so plenty of time...spent a minute bugging the guy who operated the rental.... maintenance just isn't an issue. change the battery every two years -thats it.

It was a RIOT. now i simply must have one. Probably lookin' at the TR-1 versions, if its faster/lighter than the 1100... :thumbsup:

I personally like the 1800 ,180 hp f x h o versions. I spend a lot of time on skies and I see no reason to feed supercharged skies , been there done that and escaped never to return . I know nothing about the new3 cylinder engines and really have no desire to own one.
I usually buy new skies every 4 years but I think I will just keep the ones I have both are in the mid 600 hour ranges, doing maintenance on them getting ready for our water sport season to start as soon as things cool off and the red tide goes away. Doing intermediate bearings, pumps and ribbon delete. Oh and fixing the nano hulls again as usual.
just the usual day on the water for me.

Last edited:
I personally like the 1800 ,180 hp f x h o versions. I spend a lot of time on skies and I see no reason to feed supercharged skies , been there done that and escaped never to return . I know nothing about the new3 cylinder engines and really have no desire to own one.
I usually buy new skies every 4 years but I think I will just keep the ones I have both are in the mid 600 hour ranges, doing maintenance on them getting ready for our water sport season to start as soon as things cool off and the red tide goes away. Doing intermediate bearings, pumps and ribbon delete. Oh and fixing the nano hulls again as usual.
just the usual day on the water for me.

lol at the vids. So, do you rent them then? I think hearing from a rental place is good solid info. they get beat up all day every day by folks who dont care :) Oh, My buddy said the same thing you did... tells me the supercharger was a mistake. lol and its "too much really" LOL "zero to 70 in 4 seconds" all that would be fun in big water, but not the river.

I like the 1.8 engine too. but, price vs use... and the fact I enjoyed the hell outta the 1100... Think the smaller would be better.but the bottom of the line 1.8 id consider, engines not working as hard.... And....id probably buy two of them.

still early, no hurry, unless someone local pops up selling newer ones...I might jump.

thanks for the post!

I certainly do not rent skies. These are for me to destroy ,I seriously doubt any average person would drive a ski like I do so if they hold up to my abuse I would say they are pretty good.
My problem is always the nano hulls but I know how to repair them so I don't worry about that. if they leak I fix them. I think they all have the nano hulls.
The engines and pumps are super reliable in my book.
The 1800 can suck fuel pretty quickly .
I usually run out 24 gallons a day , more if I run 2 skies at a time because I put so many hours on them I alternate each ones use .
I like the ride of the longer ski and since I do a lot of wake jumping with a passenger that you should never ever do unless you are a black belt in crazy like me.
The hulls ride pretty good and with the magic Jeff cruise I can set the throttle and ride all day without having hand cramps, with the cobra steering I can do all sorts of tricks that most people would avoid but I do it at 66 with vertigo and a bad hip because I can, That being said I do love getting out and tearing up the water.

yeah you are in a different demographic. I would be hard pressed to get that much use out of them. Different world.

but it would be damned fun trying!

Don't drink, don't smoke, never did drugs in my life with only one exception
images

Local marina rents yamaha jetskis and they are rented out every day from memorial day-labor day basically they run them for 3 years and then "clean up" and sell.

They haven't had any issues with this years (new ones) or past years outside of general maintenance. The marina is also local yamaha shop on lake.

Back