• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How deep do you back mfi trailer in water

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've had my 2011 ar for a few months but yet to find the sweet spot when loading the boat back on the trailer . Part of it is I am always driving the boat while Someone else is backing trk/trailer up . We started w the the tops of the fenders just under the water and that was to deep , so the bunks are to deep and the boat won't stay straight ... Any ideas or recommendations ?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my experience this is ramp dependent. I like to have a foot to eighteen inches of the bunks out of the water. I normally back up enough to get the entire bunks wet then pull out until the fenders just break the surface. Then after getting out of the truck I occasionally decide to adjust. This is easier for me because @Rana almost always captains the boat onto the trailer.

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
In my experience this is ramp dependent. I like to have a foot to eighteen inches of the bunks out of the water. I normally back up enough to get the entire bunks wet then pull out until the fenders just break the surface. Then after getting out of the truck I occasionally decide to adjust. This is easier for me because @Rana almost always captains the boat onto the trailer.
Ok , by 1' to 18" of bunk u mean the bow bunks correct . Lol yeah half the battle is I can only do one thing at a time .

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok , by 1' to 18" of bunk u mean the bow bunks correct . Lol yeah half the battle is I can only do one thing at a time .
Yes, the bow bunks. Just enough to stop and stabilize the boat.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I usually drop the trailer in until the tops of the fenders are under water and that works fine 95% of the time for me. On really steep ramps I just try and line up the roller/winch hook with the bow eye and keep the back of the boat from drifting to the side with trailer guides.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I set the trailer the same as Bruce when starting. Then I'll line up the boat and power load it onto the trailer. This gets me about a foot or two from the bow stop. Then I have whoevers driving the truck back into the water a few feet deeper which allows me to power load the boat further up the trailer. I do this one or two times until the bow is fully up the trailer and hard against the bow stop. Then I can reach over the bow and tighten the winch(from inside the boat) with a bit of throttle on (to keep the boat from slipping back).

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I usually drop the trailer in until the tops of the fenders are under water and that works fine 95% of the time for me. On really steep ramps I just try and line up the roller/winch hook with the bow eye and keep the back of the boat from drifting to the side with trailer guides.
@Bruce is correct....every ramp has a different angle, so you can't say a specific depth/distance. @Ronnie is also right on! Trailer guide posts on the back of the trailer means that you can always drive the trailer a little deeper than you think, then just pull up to the bow eye and the stern won't move around as the guide posts hold the boat in place. Even if it is a little off, pull out slowly and the boat normally self centers.

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce is correct....every ramp has a different angle, so you can't say a specific depth/distance. @Ronnie is also right on! Trailer guide posts on the back of the trailer means that you can always drive the trailer a little deeper than you think, then just pull up to the bow eye and the stern won't move around as the guide posts hold the boat in place. Even if it is a little off, pull out slowly and the boat normally self centers.
Ok , I've seen them on other trailers before , guess I am going to order a set now !!! Lol

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok , I've seen them on other trailers before , guess I am going to order a set now !!! Lol
My alternate perspective is that guide posts give you something to hit and scratch the boat. Atleast get the soft covers of you add them.

We had guide posts on our last trailer and prefer not having them on this one. @Rana prefers not having them to hit. I prefer being able to drive the boat across the submerged trailer and turn into place at tight ramps.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just pulled the boat out of the river because it was raining , followed the 18-2' and boom !!!!!!! Thanks everyone !!! Centered up and went right to bow roller ;)

aarons1k

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just pulled the boat out of the river because it was raining , followed the 18-2' and boom !!!!!!! Thanks everyone !!! Centered up and went right to bow roller ;)
Also used the new f2 for the first time !!! Wow!!!!