• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you pronounce....

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So... How do YOU (personally) pronounce YAMAHA?
DISCLAIMER: I know this post is juvenile and in no possible way a technical to help anybody, but lets have some fun...
My wife LOVES to make fun of me for pronouncing Yamaha as "YAH-MAH-HAUL", instead of how its spelled (YAH-MAH-HAAA). I don't know why I personally do it (blame Ohio [GO BUCKEYES!!!]) but I tell her its because they YA-MA-HAUL-ASS!!!! hahaha.... either way, just a fun unofficial poll to see if I'm alone in this fight, or if I can prove that I'm correct!!! lol

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where'd you find an L? LOL

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When the first Yamaha outboard appeared in my house, We lived in another country...In spanish it's pronounce ya-MA-hah (all As as in Apple, not airplane) (Emphasis on the middle sentence) Turns out in English we say YA-Mah-Hao(soft o) or similar... I wonder how the Japanese say it...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Man, warm weather can't get here fast enough :D

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In Japanese each syllable gets the same amount of time on stage. Ya-ma-ha

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just think of JFK giving a speach...

I paak my yamihaa in the yaaad

Thats how i sound

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yama-ha here.

Although my wife says werter, as in "We're taking our Yama-ha out on the werter".
I say wahter and so do my daughters.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been told I pronounce it strangely.
Yeah Julian, there is no doubt you have a strange twist on the word. I have heard it in person.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamahopoulos

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah Julian, there is no doubt you have a strange twist on the word. I have heard it in person.
And he tends to call "rope" a "line" !!!! :jimlad:

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He may not be wrong. My grandfather was career Navy. Started on PT Boats in WW2 and ended up in the Pentagon. He taught me most of what I know about boating. He always said "it's rope when it doesn't have a purpose, as soon as it has a job to do, it becomes a line"

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
hahaha yes, as far as the USN is concerned... "ropes" are called lines. Call a line a rope in front of a Boatswains Mate and you're liable to get smacked. lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
He may not be wrong. My grandfather was career Navy. Started on PT Boats in WW2 and ended up in the Pentagon. He taught me most of what I know about boating. He always said "it's rope when it doesn't have a purpose, as soon as it has a job to do, it becomes a line"
At least you get use for your grandpa's words. My WWII grandfather taught me things that I cannot use in the 21st century. No wonder my wife things I live in a parallel universe.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm in line with mostly everyone else here. Ya-mah-haw

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
USA(and me): Yaw-muh-haw -always been this way since my first moped the "yamahopper" 50cc.

Canuck(or far north): Yeah-muh-ha -(last A as in apple)

This is used to bother me to no end, when I would watch the television show "dirt trax" In my Raptor riding days.

Nowadays see it in some Yamaha Canada boat and PWC vids too. still cant handle it. LOL

on this note, old boss when I worked a car dealer called toyota "tie-yoda" and Nissan "NISS-ann" drove me up the wall!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yama-ha here.

Although my wife says werter, as in "We're taking our Yama-ha out on the werter".
I say wahter and so do my daughters.
Oh man... that would bug me.... Curious. do they say PILL-ow or PELL-ow when they lay down to sleep?

this is one of my favorite topics...

I still remember the only time my childhood life, I ever misspelled a word on a spelling test. I was in second grade, It was president's day. My teacher, was of Norwegian descent, first generation. She Pronounced "Washington" 'WARSH-ington" I asked her to say it again. same thing. I spelled it that way 9/10. :D:( I argued, and lost.

mom goes to visit her friend in Texas, comes home saying "y'all" o_O

I have two good friends from Minnesota i see occasionally. They sound toally fine to me on their own. But if i'm with the two of them together-it becomes a Strange Brew casting call.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have two good friends from Minnesota i see occasionally. They sound toally fine to me on their own. But if i'm with the two of them together-it becomes a Strange Brew casting call.
Minn-a-soooota? lol