• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How many Fire extinguishers did you get?

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I noticed on my 2019 212x that I picked up a month ago that there are two stickers that say "Fire Extinguisher inside", yet I only got one with the boat.:confused: Did everyone else get two? Figured I would check here before pointing out to dealer, who to be fair was really rushed on delivery day due to pending world lock down!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I noticed on my 2019 212x that I picked up a month ago that there are two stickers that say "Fire Extinguisher inside", yet I only got one with the boat.:confused: Did everyone else get two? Figured I would check here before pointing out to dealer, who to be fair was really rushed on delivery day due to pending world lock down!
I only got 1. Dealer said coast guard only requires 1 for our size boat, I think. I’ll probably buy another one and figure out a mount this year. Right now it just rolls around in the battery compartment.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The idea behind the fire port is that you could discharge a co2 extinguisher. They are pricey though. This would be the 2nd extinguisher.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I only got 1. Dealer said coast guard only requires 1 for our size boat, I think. I’ll probably buy another one and figure out a mount this year. Right now it just rolls around in the battery compartment.
I mounted mine inside the Helm there is nice flat surface there and screws it came with did not penetrate the board to the glass so all is good. Mine came with a dry chem but I will add a CO2 as well will swap dry chem, to battery storage and put co@ in helm. Thanks makes sense, but winder why Yamaha put on two stickers then one 1 in boat???

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The idea behind the fire port is that you could discharge a co2 extinguisher. They are pricey though. This would be the 2nd extinguisher.
I know about the port, I am talking about the Stickers that actually make you think there are 2 on board.One on Helm door and one on Battery seat bench.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I mounted mine inside the Helm there is nice flat surface there and screws it came with did not penetrate the board to the glass so all is good. Mine came with a dry chem but I will add a CO2 as well will swap dry chem, to battery storage and put co@ in helm. Thanks makes sense, but winder why Yamaha put on two stickers then one 1 in boat???
Yamaha didn’t put any in the boat. Dealer provided one because he says they needed to meet CG requirement when they sold the boats. Not sure if that’s normally part of the dealer prep fee, or if my dealer adds it in as part of their coast guard readiness promo with all new boat sales or what. I waived the new anchor and life jackets, etc that they tried to give me.

At least that was my experience. :)

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I only got 1 as well with my new boat purchase. But jokes on them, I kept the one from my trade in, so I have 2. :D One mounted where each sticker is.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice idea, wish I would have thought of that when I was pulling everything else off my old ride! but then again it was a 20 year extinguisher!

Huv1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got two with mine...one in the storage in front of the helm and one in the storage by the batteries.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I received two with my new boat. One was installed near the battery compartment and one was behind the helm. I had an additional two from my old boat. So now we'll have four... LOL

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ours has one. It's in a holder right by the throttles. Maybe ones stored out of sight behind the helm or in the front of the boat are OK, but one stored in a rear compartment might be near useless if there was a fire as you wouldn't be able to get to it.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ours has one. It's in a holder right by the throttles. Maybe ones stored out of sight behind the helm or in the front of the boat are OK, but one stored in a rear compartment might be near useless if there was a fire as you wouldn't be able to get to it.
‘Course, my dealer also told me... if the boat is on fire, don’t spend much time fussing with it - get off the boat. So, he just wanted to satisfy the requirements and get me on the water. I can agree with that sentiment. Lol

I would think that if one extinguisher isn’t enough, it’s probably too big of a job for me to handle. It’s just a boat, and it’s insured. Family to safety would be my priority. :)

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
‘Course, my dealer also told me... if the boat is on fire, don’t spend much time fussing with it - get off the boat. So, he just wanted to satisfy the requirements and get me on the water. I can agree with that sentiment. Lol

I would think that if one extinguisher isn’t enough, it’s probably too big of a job for me to handle. It’s just a boat, and it’s insured. Family to safety would be my priority. :)
wise words

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you've ever used a fire extinguisher then you know how little chemical is in them. Like ammo in a gunfight, it seems like a lot to haul around until you need it. Then you can never have enough.

The fire extinguisher locations are the first thing I point out to guests on my boat.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have spent a few days/weeks/months training for firefighting and would in no way want to fight one on a small boat! Dump a CO into the port (dry chem on top and then hope for the best, but at the same time it would be all hands in the water until a reflash watch gives the all clear. In fact I would want a third in case of a reflash when we eventually open the hatch (gonna have to sometime) for an inspection before towing home.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I agree!!! I watched this from the shore and photos and videos just don't do justice to how big, hot, and fast this fire engulfed that boat. Click link to story Boat Burns on Lake Ray Hubbard With Baby, Children on Board

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
None came with mine (they are not supplied by Yamaha) , I keep a 10BC in the compartment ahead of the helm.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha doesnt supply fire extinguishers or batteries as they have shelf lives, and yamaha doesn't know when the boat will actually sell, so that is a dealer responsibility.

My extinguisher is behind the helm. Was advised not to put it in a compartment adjacent to the engine compartment because typically it is the engine on fire and thus is will be hot there, and also opening that seat might contribute air to the fire.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another interesting thing to note is that many fire extinguishers only work when vertical. The fire ports result in the device laying on their side quite a bit, so look for one that works regardless of angle.