• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How many people just"beach" there boat instead of anchor?

Anchor or beach your boat

• Total voters

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just like says, are the paint finishes durable enough to sit in the sand?

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I do both, beach quite a bit. That being said, my new Keel guard came in the other day and I will be installing this week. I never noticed any wear on my white hulled Bayliner but about an inch up either side of my black keeled yamaha showed wear the first time I beached it.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never beach it. Ever.

SoFla David

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to beach my exciter nose-in to the beach all the time. It had a Keel Guard and I never worried about it. Since I boat in the ocean and have tides to deal with, there were a few times that the tide went down after I beached, and dragging the 17 foot exciter back into deeper water was "interesting". Now that I have the 23 footer, I could not imagine trying to drag that thing off the beach if the tide goes down, so I always anchor it out where it is still floating.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just like says, are the paint finishes durable enough to sit in the sand?
It's not paint, but gel coat. And no, if you beach even occasionally, expect some type of visible wear. Imagine several thousand pounds of force rubbing sandpaper on your nice finish. :eek:

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I beach it all the time !!! That said I also put a keel gard on it right when I bought it :) the sand bar action is one of my fav things !!!!!

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to beach all the time until i noticed wear. Nothing bad, but enough for me to anchor out in a couple feet of water now

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We hang out on the Mississippi sandbars so we both beach and anchor in.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Depends on where I am boating! Never EVER considered beaching in the midwest as the beaches there are a very rough sand and rock mix! Here in NC I don't typically beach in the lakes, but will beach it down at the coast on the inter coastal. Plus I have a keel guard. That said, since there are wicked tides, I still typically leave it just afloat so I don't get stranded. Otherwise you risk being these people:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my paint touches water and bunk boards.....only......
@justason That's the best plan for any of these boats - BUT, next time you go out check something out just for yucks.....

And this goes for anybody:

After your trailer has been sitting in the lot for a few hours and has had time to dry completely, check it out BEFORE you retrieve the boat - specifically the carpet on the bunks..

Run your fingertips over the nap of the carpet and see just how much sand is retained in the carpet!

If it is anything like mine, you'll be flabbergasted. Typically, when launching and retrieving, the water at the bottom of the ramp can be a huge swirl of sand suspended in the water due to the prop/jet wash kicking it up. That sand may settle on your bunks.

A real good shop vac, compressed air or a pressure washer will help get the sand out of the carpet and keep it nice and clean and soft for your hull to slide on.:cool:

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Always anchor.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never ever beach. We put a anchor buddy off the bow, back in and then I sand spike each side othe the stern so it doesn't drift. Works great! Highly recommend the anchor buddy if you haven't tried yet. Helps prevent the anchor from pulling up when that jack ass pushes a wake where everyone is posted up.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Never ever beach. We put a anchor buddy off the bow, back in and then I sand spike each side othe the stern so it doesn't drift. Works great! Highly recommend the anchor buddy if you haven't tried yet. Helps prevent the anchor from pulling up when that jack ass pushes a wake where everyone is posted up.
Hey I have only done that a couple of times...... :D

mgabsa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I only boat in a lake. I beach mine and inspect the keel after each outing.

If I see excess wear or chipping, I will install a keel guard. This way, I will know exactly where the keel guard needs to go as well as save me from having to sand the keel.

I also use a Large Shore Spike and people come over to check it out. They usually throw thier anchor in the sand and attach a life vest to increase visability.

Last edited:

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I used to beach my old boat bow in all the time. White hull, couldn't tell. I am paranoid to do it with the new boat especially until I get keel guard. But I have since learned how to anchor out and back in, then use my shore spike on the beach. The convenience alone of having the swim platform to all the action is great! It's our new hangout :)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used to beach my old boat bow in all the time. White hull, couldn't tell. I am paranoid to do it with the new boat especially until I get keel guard. But I have since learned how to anchor out and back in, then use my shore spike on the beach. The convenience alone of having the swim platform to all the action is great! It's our new hangout :)
Yeah....not having a white lower hull would definitely be a good reason not to beach! This is why so many boats go with white hulls as they show marks much less.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With my other boats we would beach (Savannah Ga). The Yamaha seems to damage pretty easy so we don't beach. I have been asked about just driving her right on the island shore. I just don't want to take the chance. Here on the lake some islands are mostly sand/mud but you need to make sure there are no rocks or logs etc.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depends on where I am boating! Never EVER considered beaching in the midwest as the beaches there are a very rough sand and rock mix! Here in NC I don't typically beach in the lakes, but will beach it down at the coast on the inter coastal. Plus I have a keel guard. That said, since there are wicked tides, I still typically leave it just afloat so I don't get stranded. Otherwise you risk being these people:

Looks like me a few weekends ago, I was anchored in the Gulf side of Shell Island and doing my normal routine of about every 20 minutes pulling the boat away from the beach and setting the anchor again. Then I heard that sound that I don't like hearing of a wave hitting the side of the boat, I went out and started pushing and the guy that was with me started to push, then some considerate random citizen that just happened to be walking by at the right time helped us push it off the sand bar.