• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How many times do you boat at night in a season?

How many times do you boat at night in a season?

• Never

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • 1-3

Votes: 37 33.6%
  • 4-6

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • More than 6

Votes: 30 27.3%

• Total voters

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wanted to see if a lot of people boat at night and tips you have learned along the way.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've never had this boat in the water at night. Makes a lot of sense for me to install LEDs doesn't it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We often venture to the other end of the lake for dinner and boat 12 miles or so back after dark.

On the weekend after the 4th of July last year the sun was rising as were getting out of the boat.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I love night boating. It is so peaceful and tranquil. I do have GPS on board and a good handheld spot light that helps a lot.and good night vision helps.

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We've never had her out at night, but looking forward to it maybe this summer.

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love boating at nite on the ca delta. Lots of place to go eat drink and be merry.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love boating at night. Peaceful.

Tips: a) know the waters before you run above no-wake speed after dark
b) be aware of the noise you make and don't be the asshat destroying the peace for hundreds of others

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Boating at night it awesome. But like GTBRMC said, know the waters you are boating in first. And reduce your speed. I too have a spotlight, but you gotta be careful not to blind other boaters. If I have a question where I am, I'll just flash the light on quickly looking for channel markers.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never had this boat in the water at night. Makes a lot of sense for me to install LEDs doesn't it.
Lol! Well you never know when the urge might strike! Now you're prepared! :winkingthumbsup"

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love night boating. It is so peaceful and tranquil. I do have GPS on board and a good handheld spot light that helps a lot.and good night vision helps.
Us too..... We have a GPS course saved we know is safe and created in daylight, then just follow it back at night.... Works like a charm! Have the spotlight thing too, but rarely use it..

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We come back off the water at night all the time. Peaceful and no drama at the ramp! Our lake is small enough that you can't get lost. It's only like 3 miles from north point to south point and kinda kidney shaped but probably just under a mile wide at widest spot. That being said, we don't do a lot of wake sports yet due to having small children, so later night cruises are nice. Fourth of July is nuts out here due to the fireworks on the water, so we skip that and just watch from a friend's cottage.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just about every Friday!

Raphael

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lake Powell is a death trap after dark with lots of submerged boulders and bluffs plus it has to be the absolute darkest place at night on planet Earth, I tried boating once with a buddy after we partied with some girls we met and then boated back to our campsite after dark and I swore it off for all eternity after that white knuckled jaunt. Last Fall, a man was run over and killed by his own boat when it hit a rock, one of ten fatalities since last October.

The way I see it I'm on borrowed time :dead:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Raphael you would have found it simple with a GPS Chartplotter and a large spotlight or two. Follow the GPS line until you get to the dock, then fire up the spotlights to dock with. I was like you when I first boated at night in pitch black with no moon....white knuckles for sure! It was the reason I got the GPS in the first place! I wasn't comfortable doing that in a lake with tons of rocks and narrow channels to get from my MIL's cabin to the one we rented. With GPS there was still a bit of concern, but it was more about making sure there was nothing ahead of us in the water....logs, boats, deer (swimming from one island to another) etc