1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  2. Reminder of the Lateral Thruster & Thrust Vector group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until August 31st to get in on this group buy!

So if you are looking to improve your steering, don't miss this opportunity!  Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(Logged in Members can click the X in the upper right to dismiss this notice)

Dismiss Notice

Humming Noise After Amplifier Install

Discussion in 'Electronics-Stereo/GPS/Chartplotter/Electrical etc' started by H2OBoy, Jun 4, 2018.

1. H2OBoy

H2OBoy Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +113 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Thanks for all of the feedback. My installer investigated the issue further yesterday and still cannot find the culprit. He did pinpoint it to only happening when using Bluetooth (which is all I ever use). The sound is there with or without any accessories (blower, etc.) on or with the boat running or not. I'm not certain the issue is not coming from my head unit and went unnoticed until adding the amplifier. He is going to install a different amplifier with RCA inputs to see if there is a difference.

2. Julian

Julian Jetboaters Fleet Admiral Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,337 / 116
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    What makes you say they are useless? They move a decent amount of air (which is their only purpose) which helps to suck out any gas fumes...which isn't useless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Julian

Ratings:
    +8,337 / 116
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    What headunit is in your boat? Mine hums/hisses when using any source.

4. H2OBoy

H2OBoy Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +113 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    It's the stock AR210 HU. I believe it's an Infinty.

5. Julian

Ratings:
    +8,337 / 116
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    We can agree to disagree on this topic. We've had a number of people with fuel sender leaks and even one tank leak. I will agree that a blower won't help in a tank leak situation...you will go BOOM in that situation. You will have a higher chance of going boom if you have ribbons deleted-but still not very high. But in the situation of a minor fuel sender leak....blowers could prevent a nasty explosion in those cases. Heck, I even had my fume alarm go off once when I was fueling my old boat. I think fumes were blowing back in under the rear side vents into my engine compartment...triggered my fume alarm. Yes blowers are loud....but I'm keeping and using mine....along with a fume detector.

• Like Like x 1
  6. adrianp89

adrianp89 Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +603 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    So my noise is all sources but much worse on BT. I think our issue is the same. Does your buzzer stay making a noise as soon as your battery switch is turned on?

7. H2OBoy

H2OBoy Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +113 / 2
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Yes. The battery switch makes no difference in the noise.

8. vxooxv

vxooxv Jet Boat Lover

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    My hum comes from whatever stays powered on the boat for 2-4 seconds after I turn the key off. I think it's actually via one key or the other I forgot. I hear the slight hum (with my amps powered on) and even when I turn the keys off, it's a hum for 2-3 seconds and then turns off. It's almost as if it gets slightly louder for those couple seconds. Is there something in the boat that powers off a few seconds after the keys are turned off?

I thought it was because I had my LED controller box to the same amp power block. I then ran the controller all the way back to the battery to isolate it. No dice.

I suspect it has something to do with my HU (Fusion) powering down as if my memory serves me the Ignition wire is tapped into a key lead. I gave up the fight.

9. swatski

swatski Jetboaters Fleet Admiral

Ratings:
    +7,657 / 112
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Does the Bluetooth module and HU have their own independent power supplies/sources?
    (I on a hum hunt...) If HU and amps are in the same power/ground path but the BT is not, is that important? How is BT powered in Connext boats? Can't find it in the manual...

--

10. Mainah

Mainah Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +2,461 / 19
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Bluetooth is incorporated in the Polk. I have even recently switched to using Bluetooth instead of USB even though my testing proved USB to be a cleaner source. Bluetooth is just more convenient. I don’t have a hum. I did swap the headunit ground to my helm grounding bar on the 0 awg backbone a while back as I just felt it was a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. adrianp89

adrianp89 Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +603 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    As mania said, it is built in. My stator was replaced and while my boat day lasted about 10 minutes yesterday, I didn't notice the hum any longer... but not much testing or listening was done in that regard.

• Like Like x 1
  12. motoman006

motoman006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Is the low pass filter on

My clarion amp does the same thing with low pass filter

When I switch it to high pass filter it goes away

I think it's somthing with the factory power and ground issue
    But I just leave it on high pass filter and don't hear and hiss anymore

13. swatski

Ratings:
    +7,657 / 112
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Thank you so much! You have guys been incredibly helpful!!!

One last thing (before I get back to crawling behind that helm...). Is the swim deck remote display something to consider as far as potential ground loops, or not worry for now? No idea how it is power-sourced, and again the service manual is of no help.

TIA!!!

--

14. Mainah

Ratings:
    +2,461 / 19
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    You could of course try unplugging the swim deck remote to rule it out.

15. swatski

Ratings:
    +7,657 / 112
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    DUh.
    TY!
    lol

--

16. swatski

Ratings:
    +7,657 / 112
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Guys - including @bigblank69, @Mainah, and @adrianp89 - big thank you for all the advice.
    I cleaned up, tightened, and grounded the HU along with all three amps and WS420 to the common big wire direct to battery - no more hum! The hum is gone! I can even run my blowers - and still no hum!!!

Now, I'm not totally out of the woods, yet. Still have some very faint cracking/ticking noise - and it is generated/sensitive to RCAs connecting to my WS420.
    Not bad, and I could live with that but given I know the source I'm inclined to try eliminate it. My system would then be AMAZING (for me).

So, those WS420 RCA cables go back under the helm - where I have a lot going on...
    upload_2018-8-2_20-19-44.png

It is a short path (WS420 to Amps) but lots of potential interference - I don't know if I can avoid/re-route much, it's a cluster, small space. I also have to split the "cockpit" WS420 output into two amps that power 10 cabin/swim deck speakers (no amp bypass). So....

Are there RCA cables/connectors available that eliminate/reduce noise?

TIA!

--

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mainah

Ratings:
    +2,461 / 19
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    I recommend shielded RCAs from yep you guessed it knuknoceptz. The remaining sound could also be from the components themselves like a switching power supply in a Class D amp.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. swatski

Ratings:
    +7,657 / 112
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Well... Success!!!

I finally got to it. So, after cleaning up the wires/common ground situation installing those Krystal KnuKonceptz RCAs made all the remaining hum/noise/crackling sounds DISAPPEAR!!!
    upload_2018-8-9_22-37-45.png
    upload_2018-8-9_22-29-6.png
    The WS420 connections and under-the-helm interference must have been responsible for the noise.

What a relief... no noise, no hum!! Just great sound (or nothing).

My system would certainly not pass for a top tier, but with 10 Polk DBs (powered by two xc1410 clarions), tower ICON8s (powered with WS HT-2) and a powered Basslink subwoofer - all routed through the WS420 - I would consider it solid.

Sound quality is great, with no hum/noise no matter what other equipment is running (blowers, engine, ballast pumps etc.)
    The system is loud, for in-boat listening becomes unbearably loud past about 50% volume (no distortion).

Me thinks this system is in my boat to stay!

Thanks @Mainah et al. for great advice here!

--

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1