• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HVAC gurus here? (Home warranty anyone?)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I used to rebuild transmissions back in the day, customers would ask why I charged so much, it shouldn’t take that long. I replied, “you’re paying for my experience, product knowledge, training, and the specialty tools I have. Applies to all trades. Best case scenario is to learn to DIY. Google has saved me thousands on working on my house, camper, and boat. Cars I know.
I'm perfectly fine with paying $150-200/hour. But $650/hour....no.

So how do you discharge a capacitor? Do they discharge on their own over time?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm perfectly fine with paying $150-200/hour. But $650/hour....no.

So how do you discharge a capacitor? Do they discharge on their own over time?
Hi Julian,

This is simple Procedure you got this. I have used this technique on crt tube caps and also on my ac compressor.

Power off at the compressor. (Flip the breaker)
Use a long screwdriver 🪛 and keep your hand on the insulated handle.
Touch the positive and negative using the screwdriver shaft to discharge any residual charge.
Disconnect the leads.
Reconnect leads on new cap.
Reinstall cap and Install cover.

if you use forced air nat gas heating, I can recommend some parts that you should source which are common points of failure.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Last edited:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So this looks like an identical replacement:

Didn't find an exact match to the other one yet....

Are one brand or another better? Or just stick with what was there?
Just find the equivalent value. I shoe horned in one that wasn’t an exact fit but same value. I sourced it from local grainger store.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn’t replace the connectors, I am sure that if your fan is not kicking on it’s the capacitor that is bad. Usually they will have a bulge where you can see the where it popped. Make sure to get a clear pic of which wire goes where on the cap. You got this, Julian! Don’t forget to discharge it before you handle the existing cap.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tracked down the contactor number based on the units model number.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wouldn’t replace the connectors, I am sure that if your fan is not kicking on it’s the capacitor that is bad. Usually they will have a bulge where you can see the where it popped. Make sure to get a clear pic of which wire goes where on the cap. You got this, Julian! Don’t forget to discharge it before you handle the existing cap.
HVAC is working fine. This is "preventative" maintenance. I plan to just buy the capacitors and keep them on hand in case they go.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good Idea. I understand they have got to eat too, but I engage expensive labor when value is being provided. This is a case where I would think such labor overqualified, and DIY is a GREAT route to take, You can keep them on hand and replace as needed, saving even more. I have some lasting 20+ years, no need to preemptively replace when it could easily preform fine for many years.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My wife is now telling me that the service guy said the connectors were arcing and leaving black stuff on the unit.....

I see no evidence of this....

Is there a way to tell if your contactors are arcing? Or does this sound like more "scare the woman into paying for crap she doesn't need yet "?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Black stuff is pretty evident. Does it look recently wiped clean?

It's really tough when the fuidiciary responsibility conflicts with their self interest. Are they Pros looking out for you? Or pushing a while lie to get $600 for an hour worth of work?

you could observe the contactor in operation and listen carefully for a hard secure contact and make your own mind up. Any sparky/chatter/fluttering would be indicative of something not right. Solid click is A-OK in my humble diy experience.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife is now telling me that the service guy said the connectors were arcing and leaving black stuff on the unit.....

I see no evidence of this....

Is there a way to tell if your contactors are arcing? Or does this sound like more "scare the woman into paying for crap she doesn't need yet "?
Honestly Julian it seems like they’re looking to fund their next boat payment. You’ll know when the caps need to be replaced… your fan won’t kick on. Skip this service call and take your wife out to have a nice dinner instead.

I use a place out of Indianapolis to get replacement parts they’re reasonable and will help get you the right parts Shortys HVAC Supplies | Short on Price, Long on Quality! | Indianapolis, IN

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was a HVAC Tech. for 40 yrs. and have never heard of replacing capacitors as a preventive measure. Contactors either for that matter but if the contacts are pitted and/or turning blue then they would be replaced. You will probably find that the company pays their techs on a hourly plus commission basis and anything they sell in the field they get a percentage of it.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was a HVAC Tech. for 40 yrs. and have never heard of replacing capacitors as a preventive measure. Contactors either for that matter but if the contacts are pitted and/or turning blue then they would be replaced. You will probably find that the company pays their techs on a hourly plus commission basis and anything they sell in the field they get a percentage of it.
Caps do go bad over time and become weak. The tech may have tested them and found them to below the acceptable threshold. The more details that get exposed here, I tend to think the tech was a scammer and needed sales to keep his rank in the company. With that said, its nice to have spare caps on hand as they are one of the biggest failures in AC systems.

Julian, perhaps you should test your existing caps to see if they pass? If so, keep the new ones on hand. The contactors look generally brand new in that photo. I wouldn't be worried about that unless you hear it buzzing and hanging up.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I emailed the company about the quote, and got a reply that they are using a new quoting system and it made an error and they attached a new quote at half the price - $450 to replace caps and contactors. The reality is that because we have a maintenance contract with this company, we have a 24 hour emergency coverage guarantee - so I really don't need to replace working components anyway. That said.....now that I know what these cost and how easy they are to replace, I'm just ordering backups and will do it myself vs pay $350/hour in labor.

Thanks for all your help! It is so cool to be able to take the "mystery" out of some of these simple repair items.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I emailed the company about the quote, and got a reply that they are using a new quoting system and it made an error and they attached a new quote at half the price - $450 to replace caps and contactors. The reality is that because we have a maintenance contract with this company, we have a 24 hour emergency coverage guarantee - so I really don't need to replace working components anyway. That said.....now that I know what these cost and how easy they are to replace, I'm just ordering backups and will do it myself vs pay $350/hour in labor.

Thanks for all your help! It is so cool to be able to take the "mystery" out of some of these simple repair items.
So you know how as time passes things on your list kinda get forgotten....well, 6 months later all is well on the HVAC front (and I never did buy backup capacitors).

HVAC maintenance guy was back yesterday and is saying that on system has low pressure....so they are coming back today to do a pressure test. There was no mention of needing new contactors and capacitors yesterday....hummmm.... perhaps their incentives were changed????

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So you know how as time passes things on your list kinda get forgotten....well, 6 months later all is well on the HVAC front (and I never did buy backup capacitors).

HVAC maintenance guy was back yesterday and is saying that on system has low pressure....so they are coming back today to do a pressure test. There was no mention of needing new contactors and capacitors yesterday....hummmm.... perhaps their incentives were changed????
Ask them what the split is. 15 to 20 degree split is great (difference between supply air and return air temps) If you were low on refrigerant and needed a leak check, your split should be under 12 and possibly freezing up the coil.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian