• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hydro Turf Melting?

drjames1107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My boat is about 10 months old now. When I go it the hydro turf was dark and discolored in several spots. The dealer replace the pieces in question about2 months ago. Great all ready for the new season.

Well we have been out three times now and I see the same issue beginning on the rears swim deck. I believe it is caused by the reflections form the Aluminum table mount. This is only about 13 hours in the sun, so I can imagine how it will look mid way through the summer.

Anyone have similar problems? How did you resolve? The dealer is ordering me a new mat but I think it will happen all over again.

boat2.jpg boat1.jpg

Might need to put a dull coat of something on that bracket. Seems like Yamaha didn't think about the problem your having when they chose a polished mount like that.

Yea I was thinking of either having it sanded to look like brushed aluminum or having it powder coated. I cant believe that I am the only one having this issue. Or maybe im the only one thats noticing?? Thanks!!

@Skysurfer2010 , I think the brushed aluminum would be just enough. Bu the polished is so bright its like a magnifying glass on that turf. It just sucks that I have to go spend money to prevent it form happening again. I think Yamaha should come out with a recall or something.

I noticed almost the exact same thing about a month or 2 after we got our boat. Havent done anything with it yet

All the 2014 models are brushed now.

DUCT TAPE!!!! just playin, although they make some pretty cool patterns and colors of it nowadays

Heck yea, I still have 2 months of warranty, i'm calling the dealer today and getting it replaced with brushed aluminum one.

I have the exact same problem, pattern almost looks identical.

I've got a round spot like that on my hydroturf, where I sat a soda can while I was working on the boat in the driveway. The can got hot enough to melt an imprint into the hydroturf, the OP's problem is the shiny bracket, but other items will do the same thing if your not careful.

Yea I was thinking of either having it sanded to look like brushed aluminum or having it powder coated. I cant believe that I am the only one having this issue. Or maybe im the only one thats noticing?? Thanks!!

While there have been others to come forward since this post, I would imagine the limiting factor might be one or both of the following;

1. The orientation of the boat would have to be such that the stern is facing the sun long enough during the solar cycle such that the reflection would be directed at the pad for the time necessary to produce enough heat to cause damage.

2. The folks whose boats are oriented in that fashion may not have noticed the wear.

Use whats left on that warranty to get the pad replace along with the mount.

This is why I like this forum we just bought a 2013 242, so I will now keep an eye out for this. I will hopefully be able to let the dealer know about this at the 10 hour maintenance check.

Anyone have any updates on this? I checked my mount, and contrary to previous posts the 2014 is still the shiny chrome.
All the 2014 models are brushed now.

100% happened to our 242 and the faux Teak we replaced it with.
Poor design

Soon as I get back to the boat I am taking it off. . . . .I may plastidip it for a short term solution.

Back