• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Hydro-turf removal

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have put in my new hydro-teak in my boat today...that was super easy and looks great. I'll get some pictures on here soon. My new problem is trying to remove the hydro-turf on the transom. I worked on it for almost an hour and didn't even get one full panel off. Does anyone have any tips for chemicals I can use to make it easier?

@JetBoatPilot maybe you have some good ideas?

I used a putty knife and physical force so far.

You need to use a rigid 5 in one knife....don't try a flexible putty knife.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GAX812/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1399862040&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40
After get an edge lifted up have a helper pull it up and back as you scrape and stab at the adhesive.

Is yours coming up in sections or tearing into small pieces as you work at bit? Heat might help you -- leave it in the sun or grab a heat gun.

Use lots of acetone to remove and soften the old adhesive. Pressure washing has worked well for some to remove the bulk of adhesive but be careful not to blast off chunks of gelcoat.

It's coming up in small sections and then tears. I'll try the heat gun and then move to the power washer!

Sounds like brute force will be needed.
Not sure if the acetone will help gum up the adhesive and help keep the turf together and come up in larger sections.

All of the sections on my boat except for one came off easily. I used a plastic paint scraper to free the corner the pulled gently and the whole piece would come off in one go. The last section was a huge pain. It topple at least an hour to remove a few square inches at a time. Hopefully your other sections will be easier.

I used a combination of goof off and acetone to remove the adhesive that was left behind.

I used an automotive scratch remover to clean up some really stubborn areas.

Pressure washer seems to work when all else fails and some have reported that in cold climates the mats peel off really easy. You may want to try ice instead of heat.

I think you may be onto something there @JetBoatPilot , we remove gum from hair or clothes with ice, not heat. Heat will re-activate the glue, which may make it easier on some to get started, or...it may make it harder to pull away. @Bruce , what is "automotive scratch remover"? I am sure the age of the mats in terms of years on the boat and dryness (sun and heat exposure), make huge variations in terms of whether they come off in sections or small pieces.

A pressure washer seems pretty dangerous to me. I have scars in my driveway from using a pressure washer to try to remove spilled paint that I let dry. I could cut a slab in half with that pressure! I know you can vary either the pressure or change the nozzle to a fan, but be very careful with a pressure washer, it can dig right into the gelcoat so easy.

The Hydro Turf has 3M adhesive applied on the back so why not try 3M adhesive remover? Just a thought ...:rolleyes:

The Hydro Turf has 3M adhesive applied on the back so why not try 3M adhesive remover? Just a thought ...:rolleyes:
D'OH!!!

Homer-Simpson-Doh.jpg

Pressure washer seems to work when all else fails and some have reported that in cold climates the mats peel off really easy. You may want to try ice instead of heat.

My removal was in my basement garage where the boat had been parked all winter. The air temperature was likely in the 70s and the boat and mats were likely even cooler. The only mat I had trouble with was the upper port mat on top of the clean out plug access. I had been sitting on it while removing the upper starboard mat and cleaning that area. It is likely that I had warmed up its glue with my body heat. Most of the adhesive came off with the mats. The mat that was a problem left much more adhesive on the fiberglass.

@txav87, Scratch Out is the scratch remover product I used. It basically is rubbing compound for amateurs. After removing each mat I used Goof Off and then acetone to remove the remaining adhesive. I found that the adhesive would roll off onto my fingers similar to rubber cement after using the chemicals. But there was a stained area around the table mount that would not be covered by the new mats. This is primarily where I used the scratch out.

This is what it looked like after using goof off and acetone.

turfremoved.jpg

Unfortunately I did not take another picture after using Scratch out but you can see that the area cleaned up nicely in this picture.

ProplessMats.png

There was a thread on acid a while ago...a mild acid solution (or toilet bowl cleaner) should work just dandy on those black stained areas :cool:

There was a thread on acid a while ago...a mild acid solution (or toilet bowl cleaner) should work just dandy on those black stained areas :cool:

The scratch off removed the staining in less than 10 minutes.

Power washer didn't work at all...guess I'll try heat next. Wishing I didn't start the process of removing the hydro turf on the transom.

Power washer didn't work at all...guess I'll try heat next. Wishing I didn't start the process of removing the hydro turf on the transom.
It's all about the proper angle of your scraper and give it all ya got muscle wise. If you are laying another floor covering, don't worry about chipping a few spots of gelcoat.

Back