• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I may be getting a Smart Car. Do I need to turn in my Man Card?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unrelated to boating whatsoever.

I got a new job which is great, more money but one big additional problem, the commute. I went from being in the road in counter commute conditions for 60 to 75 minutes per day to being in the commute direction for 120 to 150 minutes per day. Basically i doubled my commute time even though I only added 8 miles to it in each direction. It is killing me slowly.

Now three weeks in I'm looking at taking over a lease for a Smart Car through Mercedes Benz. It's electric, about as big as a golf cart and doesn't perform much better than one (0 to 60 in 12 seconds, top speed of 78 mph) but it qualifies for travel in the diamond/commuter/express lane with only one person, the driver/me and only cost $150 per month (I'm spending $200 a month/ $50 per week on gas now).

I expect to shave 40 to 60 minutes off of my commute per day. So there are a lot of good reasons for me to get one but damn it is hideous, small and slow, I used to say I wouldn't be seen dead in one but now I'm wondering if I can / should live with it not for the financial savings but for the time savings.

What do you guys think? Would you do it? Or would you be looking at different alternatives like a motor cycle, natural gas vehicle or other electric or hybrid vehicle? I've looked at other options but most approach $250 per month. The Teslas is just out of the question for me as are a lot of other pure electric vehicles, just too much money unless I sell my vette and/or truck, which I don't want to do.

Well I'm off to start the day and will be test driving a smart car later this afternoon. Maybe I will be surprised and delighted but enough to live with the look and performance, I don't know.

Edit: Here is a link to a Smart Car video.

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would have concerns about real world occupant protection in a freeway speed crash. Smart cars just don't have much structure. There really aren't any "crumple zones" front or back. Else, I wouldn't argue with your logic. An hour a day is pure gold.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie , Not exactly sure what is considered a smart car but I guy that I work with has a Chevy Volt. Loves it!! And I'm pretty sure it is quicker and faster than that Benz. He just plugs it in at work when he's in the parking lot. Either way, I think it is something you should at least look at. Just as long as you can install a trailer hitch for that boat!!! :winkingthumbsup"

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aside from safety concerns from me, I say drive what you want. I never really understood the man card or chick car thing. It gets you from point a to point b.

I was looking at an Audi TT and someone said it was a manbeetle. Hell, I'd drive the regular bug if the situation fit.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't know about towing your 240LS with a smart car though... :winkingthumbsup"

Last edited:

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I drive a Prius as my daily car. I can give a rats ass what others think. I like the Chevy volt mentioned above. Will look into that when in the future I need to move away from the Prius. I average around 50 mpg with it. Kind of makes up for the mpg the boat gets.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the electric smart car have sufficient range? Is it all electric or is it a hybrid?

Despite the relatively short distance I think the drive time might be challenging to a base Tesla.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A friend of mine once said "a long commute will crush your soul" My commute is 3 miles and 7 minutes. I say swallow the man pride and lease the golf cart. You can still say you've never owned oneone.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Save an hour a day? I say go for it. That's time with your family you can never get back.

I had a Prius as a rental once and I didn't hate it as much as I wanted to. I say try that Smart Car out. You may be surprised.

I do agree with the safety concerns. Get into a wreck at 60 and how much is left of you?

This from a guy who's been driving pickup trucks / SUVs as his daily driver for 20+ years.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I drove it and everything works perfectly. I got it to 60 before the end of the on ramp and 82 in the fast lane. It did not feel small or unsafe at all, from the inside anyway. 26 months / 31,000 miles left on the lease.

The current lessee's wife drives it but she got a job that requires her to haul kids around so she needs a car with more seats. As a result the leesee is paying the transfer fees ($700)
And offered to pick up my credit check fee (another $50 to $100), so this is a $0 deal for me until the first lease payment (I may prepay a year at a time just so I don't have to see a monthly bill, two actually one for the car the other for the batteries).

All other costs apply like registration, insurance and maintenance which means I have to take it to the dealer once a year. As a bonus I will be lent a Mercedes Benz free for up to 7 days a year for the next two years.

It was a deal I could not pass up, so I didn't. As for the man card, well I figure I will be going to fast in the commuter lane to look the drivers of the other cars in the eyes. It's still going to take some adjustment to get used to driving this
image.jpg

after driving this

image.jpg
but if I get an extra 4 or 5 hours a week to do so, I will be fine. Besides I will still have the Vette and other vehicles for the weekends and after work.

An Unrelated bonus for the day was when I went outside to see that my jerk of a neighbor has put his home up for sale. Here is hoping the my new neighbor is better than my old one.

Last edited:

charliebravo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Not sure why the ambulance is there.

They scare me. Then again, I wouldn't ride a motorcycle for the same reason. Seen one to many yellow bags on the side of the road surrounded by little parts. All depends on your tolerance for risk.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh as for safety concerns, after watching numerous reviews and crash tests I'm not anymore worried than I would be in any other small car like a civic, vw bug, etc.

Here are links to a few.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did a lot of Y2K work for the A Class factory. The A Class at the time was a scaled up Smart Car. The safety testing was impressive and the entire car was engineered to be a roll cage. Later we would rent them whenever we had more friends or family around than would fit in our 300ZX. I had no concerns running around the UK at 90 MPH in them.

But if it is all electric I am concerned about the range.

And if the batteries are ever damaged in an accident get away from it!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The manufacturer claims a range of 90 miles on a full charge which takes 6 hours on 220 ac but this one currently has a 110 ac charger so it takes 14 hours to charge the batteries from empty to full. Both chargers are just self coiling/retracting power cords with an integrated dongle/Brick.

There are plenty of free power stations At work and i always get there early so I think I will be ok, just more things on the to do list (get gas/a charge at least once a day).

If I can get out of the car after an accident I will. I rember some of the early accidents and the first responder training which had to be developed for the early hybrids and electrics. Don't want to come in contact with the high voltage wiring.

Its been an Interesting experience so far, I hope it continues in good ways.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
At least you don't have to worry about battery capacity degrading in the cold. I would worry about running out of power somewhere. Bonus though, if you have a friend with a full size pickup, you can just toss it in the back of the truck to haul it home.

I was going to post the crash videos, they are impressive in a crash for their size. And no small car would have done better sandwiched between two trucks like the pic above.

Good luck with it....bonus to your wife, no chicks will try and pick you up on your commute.

Oh and does it share batteries with your quadcopters?....LOL

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like a great solution to a crappy commute...and if you get a free charge at work, then you'll be doubling your mileage/halving your cost!!! Seems like a no brainer to me!

Now you just need to join Audible and listen to some books on your commute. When I had a commute in Chicago, I'd listen to books and the time would just disappear.....I'd arrive and not recall the traffic at all!!!!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Chevy makes a hybrid tahoe.
Motorcycle sounds cool.
Man card was lost when u asked

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man card revoked... however time is a commodity you can only control in one way - the amount you waste. Gaining that much time everyday would make me think twice... that is a lot of time with your family that can never be replaced, ever. Plus you can find solace in remembering your other vehicle is an awesome boat, so you got that going for you!