• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I might have messed up. Did I for sure or just maybe?

Southwestcoma

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just winterized my 2005 sx230 for the first time and I used the funnel with garden hose and adapter and realized after I dumped about half a gallon in that I forgot to start the engine first. Did I just mess my boat up or will it be fine since it wasn’t a lot and wasn’t pressurized? I know you should start the engine because it can backfill the engine. Is that guaranteed everytime or it COULD do it. Also how do I find out if I did backfill the engine? I’m not mechanically inclined so keep that in mind. Thank you in advance.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just winterized my 2005 sx230 for the first time and I used the funnel with garden hose and adapter and realized after I dumped about half a gallon in that I forgot to start the engine first. Did I just mess my boat up or will it be fine since it wasn’t a lot and wasn’t pressurized? I know you should start the engine because it can backfill the engine. Is that guaranteed everytime or it COULD do it. Also how do I find out if I did backfill the engine? I’m not mechanically inclined so keep that in mind. Thank you in advance.
Pull the spark plugs and crank the engines over a few revolutions with the safety lanyard pulled. Watch the spark plug holes while you do that and see if anything comes out.

If nothing came out, Replace the plugs and start the engines and let them run 10 seconds at idle yo make sure all is good.

Southwestcoma

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pull the spark plugs and crank the engines over a few revolutions with the safety lanyard pulled. Watch the spark plug holes while you do that and see if anything comes out.

If nothing came out, Replace the plugs and start the engines and let them run 10 seconds at idle yo make sure all is good.
[/QUOTE

And if antifreeze comes out of them then I need to get it rebuilt or what?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If the engine starts and runs ok it is fine and it probably is not a issue it must fill the entire water box completely and then work it's way up in the open exhaust valves. and with no water pressure you should be fine.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If antifreeze comes out of the cylinders then you will need to repeatedly change the oil until all water is removed from the oil then run the engines up to temp to make sure they are dry inside.

it is unlikely that you pushed antifreeze into the engine without water pressure.

You do not need to put antifreeze into Yamaha engines. Just gently throttle up a few times without the hose connected to blow the water out of the exhaust.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Negative. If anti freeze comes out, just make sure that most all of it comes out by cranking the engine until you don’t see anymore come out, put the plugs in and start it. Once you've got it running, put the hose water to it and let it idle for 5 minutes or so, then turn it off.

The drill goes like this, have the hose all hooked up but the water turned off.
Start the engine and let it stabilize
Turn the water on, verify its coming out of the pilot or pisser, if the engine dies immediately turn off the water
let it run for 5 mins or so
turn water off
rev engines to half throttle quickly in bursts from idle, rap it, brrrap, brrrrap, for ten seconds, this blows excess water out of the water locks. Then turn off. This procedure is in your owners manual.

For many including myself the boat is now winterized. Some folks spray some fogging oil into the cylinders as well. I may fog my cylinders this year, my boat stays in a heated shop all winter though.

Does all that make sense ?

Southwestcoma

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Negative. If anti freeze comes out, just make sure that most all of it comes out by cranking the engine until you don’t see anymore come out, put the plugs in and start it. Once you've got it running, put the hose water to it and let it idle for 5 minutes or so, then turn it off.

The drill goes like this, have the hose all hooked up but the water turned off.
Start the engine and let it stabilize
Turn the water on, verify its coming out of the pilot or pisser, if the engine dies immediately turn off the water
let it run for 5 mins or so
turn water off
rev engines to half throttle quickly in bursts from idle, rap it, brrrap, brrrrap, for ten seconds, this blows excess water out of the water locks. Then turn off. This procedure is in your owners manual.

For many including myself the boat is now winterized. Some folks spray some fogging oil into the cylinders as well. I may fog my cylinders this year, my boat stays in a heated shop all winter though.

Does all that make sense ?
Ya. Appreciate it. Thank you.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I don't own a jet boat, but it sounds like the cooling water can make its way inside the engine if the engine isn't running? Am I understanding that correctly?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't own a jet boat, but it sounds like the cooling water can make its way inside the engine if the engine isn't running? Am I understanding that correctly?
The cooling water and the exhaust are connected. If the engine is running this is not an issue because the exhaust gasses are flowing out of the exhaust port with more pressure than the cooling water is coming in.

If the boat is towed at more than 5 MPH, driven with one engine off at more than 5 MPH or the flush hose is turned on before starting the engine or turned off after stopping the ending there is risk of water flowing into the exhaust port.

This can be corrected by removing the spark plugs, pulling the lanyard and turning the engine over to pump any water out of the cylinders then changing oil until the oil is water free.

It only becomes a big issue if the engine is started with water in the cylinders causing hydro lock and possible engine damage or water is left in the engine allowing for corrosion.

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
The cooling water and the exhaust are connected. If the engine is running this is not an issue because the exhaust gasses are flowing out of the exhaust port with more pressure than the cooling water is coming in.

If the boat is towed at more than 5 MPH, driven with one engine off at more than 5 MPH or the flush hose is turned on before starting the engine or turned off after stopping the ending there is risk of water flowing into the exhaust port.

This can be corrected by removing the spark plugs, pulling the lanyard and turning the engine over to pump any water out of the cylinders then changing oil until the oil is water free.

It only becomes a big issue if the engine is started with water in the cylinders causing hydro lock and possible engine damage or water is left in the engine allowing for corrosion.
So how would you tow one, with both engines off?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So how would you tow one, with both engines off?
At less than 5mph with the throttles in forward or clamp the cooling intake hoses.

The cooling intakes are on the side of the jet pumps. When towing water is pushed into the intakes as it passes through the pumps. At slow speed it does not have enough energy to push through to the engines.