• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I think I'm ready to get some great footage on the water

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finally, that is, with this.

A phantom 3 advance with ground sensing sonar and an hd camera on a three axis gimbal/camera stabilizer mated to an nvidea shield tablet as well zeiss first person view goggles (aka SBGs / sexy bitch glasses). It has a 1.2 mile range according to dji but I plan to fly a lot closer to myself and subjects than that. Just praying that the river gods don't take this one as a sacrifice.

image.jpg image.jpg

I've flown over water before but only twice while filming someone being towed by the boat. I'm hoping to get better footage now that I got the fpv going. Too bad it's the end of the summer.

Here is a short video of my son knee boarding that I shot without the goggles. It should be interesting to see the differences in my next set of videos.

By the way what's pictured cost me a little over $2,000. I need to get another battery but at $170 a pop and how much I've already got into this it can be tough to just run to the store, $170 I think I paid less for both of my current boat batteries.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was waiting for this...I knew you'd do it.....Great Stuff Ronnie! :winkingthumbsup"

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is really cool! How high will it go?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is really cool! How high will it go?
The Law limits them to 400ft AGL.

It irks me when people call for new laws to keep these from flying high and near planes. The laws already exist, making more laws won't make people follow them anymore than the current ones.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do the new laws have stiffer penalties that include confiscation of the offending drone? If so, that would quickly put an end to the problem as many wouldn't be able/want to buy another and risk losing it to confiscation again.....

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@rkluck , my current phantom has a range of 1.2 miles from the remote but I'm not in the group of users that would ever come close to flying that far out. At 400 feet up or out this thing is the size of an eraser on a pencil and the only way to verify orientation without fpv is by moving the drone to confirm that it reacts as intended.

@Big Shasta , I couldn't agree more. Two of factors that add to the problem are the easy access that anyone with a few bucks can buy a "drone" and they are all grouped into a single category whether it's $30 indoor micro quad copter, a hobbyist with dji quadcopter that costs anywhere between $500 and $15,000 or a multi million dollar military reaper.

@ Julian, I'm not aware of any laws that allow for confiscation of the drone.three recent news stories I'm thinking of are the one where two drones delayed fire fighting efforts in ncal (they only caught one operator and just had him stop flying), last week in scal a guy flying a $3,000 dji inspire was detained for interfering with a police helicopter (they had him stop flying, questioned him and then released him and gave his heli back) and finally last night a drone crashed into the stands at the u.s. Open in NY (as of last night the owner has not come forward to claim it but I'm not sure what if anything the authorities could do if he or she did come forward, it depends on the local/state law I place if any).

Here are two links to two news articles that broadly outline what the basic federal and some state/local drone laws are as well as the rationale behind them.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150901/PC05/150909998/1498/can-you-shoot-down-your-neighbor-x2019-s-drone

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/02/poways-drone-ban-is-unique-in-country/

The federal laws have been in place for sometime but there are proposals to change them.

Its The state / local laws that I'm concerned with since they are seemingly constantly changing now and are not well known. For instance, no drone flights are allowed when the Pope visits Philidelphia or no drone flights in Poway, CA when there is a wild fire in the area/within city limits, but there may be an exception if the drone is not equipped with an onboard camera and the law is only good for 45 days however it is renewable for two years.

My point being, the statement "ignorance of the law is no excuse for its breach" couldn't be more true when it comes to current drone legislation. It's up to the drone operator to ensure that he or she complies with all applicable laws. Now it seems that the most prudent course of action is to do a little research before you power up and take off. I'm not deterred from flying because of laws yet because I feel that I am following them at least the ones I know of. It's the unknown rules that I'm afraid of. The operators that I'm most concerned with are those that don't care about the laws at all. These are the guys that make every drone operator look bad.

When it comes right down to it, you can't teach or enforce common sense. I don't fly near air ports and if I see any low flying planes or helis while I'm flying I land my quad copter. Most bystanders are curious and I answer as many questions as I can safely. If anyone complains about my flying in public I'd hear them out and if appropriate in my opinion I'll stop flying but if someone other than a Leo comes at making demands I'm my excerise my right to fly within the confines of the laws I'm aware of.

Interesting drone law examples:
1. Disneyland and Disney world are no fly zones and have been since 9/11.
2. Poway's drone law is to ensure the emergency response aircraft won't be hampered from flying.
3. Some state/local governments make exceptions for law enforcement drone and some do not or they specifically target law enforce the drones.

4. Here is a big one that I just read about in one of the referenced articles: if you try and bring down another persons drone with a gun, rock, etc. you are technically taking action against an"aircraft" under FAA regulations and are subject to a monetary fine and up to 20 years in prison just as if you took a shot at a private Cessna or commercial 747 in flight.
So that guy who cast fishing line into a drone flying near a pier could have gotten in a lot of trouble for doing so but who would enforce the law on this? The FAA with its limited resources? The local Leo?

Once again, I digress. I have been able to fly much lately. I had an opportunity to do so when I went boat camping a few weeks ago but as the host I was just too busy most of the time.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lots of good information. I have seen many of them around now. I also saw where they are trying to get these serialized and when you purchase you have to register. I am still thinking I should get one now that if pretty capable before they limit capabilities and make this controllable (as much as possible) like guns.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@rkluck even if you buy one now before registration is required the manufacturers may be able to nail you afterwards by requiring registration in order to get firmware updates. dji is already enforcing current no fly zones by preventing the phantoms from taking off from or flying into no fly zones. It's all handled automatically and electronically by the firmware. If you are in a no fly zone the heli won't take off or it will land just outside of a no fly zone if it is headed into one. No fly zone Updates come bundled in the firm ware so if you want the latest features you get the latest restrictions as well.

@ Julian , I've read that drones are prohibited in all national parks. Actually I think it is arial photography/videography. Last summer a German tourist crashed his phantom into the water at Yosemite (I think). He sought help from the park service to recover it. He was only after the memory in the end but the park service recovered it with divers and refused to return it to him until he paid a $2500 fine. They used the images on the card to prove that he was engaged in arial photography. He eventually paid the fine and got his property back.

I haven't sent one in to be treated . The service is offers by dslr pros and it is called liquidpel. On you tube they show a phantom 1 going under salt and fresh water only to come out and fly again immediately. I need to call them to see if they offer this service on phantom 2s/3s since it is the camera and gimbal that make up the majority of the cost and are the most fragile components.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Shoot'em all down I say! Yeeehaw!

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great I never should have read this thread. Now I feel I "need" a new toy!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Volffas , I didn't know about this until you mentioned it, thanks that is awesome. I wanted the follow me feature for a long time. The other features sound similar to what the airdog and lily will have. The camera resolution ugrade is a pure bonus and reinforces my decision to buy the phantom 3 professional instead of the professional version.

Thanks for sharing the information, finally some good news.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ronnie, have you done all your updates recently? I think I did mine last month and it still seems up to date.

I was shooting at a steam threshers reunion (with permission of course) and someone came up and asked if I had done my updates. He was saying that a future update may actually disable our drones if we do not update. As it was adding more no fly zones.

I pretty much blew that off, as it is up to us to update the drone on our own, and there is little they could do to disable us if we don't. He may have had it backwards. I have no issues with the no fly zones being programmed in as it will probably keep me from doing something stupid. I do believe the national parks have rules against the Arial photography, but are not listed as no fly zones.

For what it is worth, here is a quick edit I did from the Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion. Way too cool seeing the steamers from above!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No I have not done mine but plan to soon. There are at least two, one for the drone and another for the remote possibly a third for the camera and / or a dji pilot update. They added a lot of functionality for the phantom 3 advance possibly to distinguish them for the standard in regard to camera resolution. I hope to install the new firmware soon and get some food footage this month.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm considering the Advanced myself. Any suggestions on a good dealer?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pricing is pretty flat across the board. Purchasing direct from DJI is not out of the question. They do have some nice bundles with a spare battery and hard case as well.

http://store.dji.com/phantom

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Consider helicopter world / century helicopter in San Jose. Shipping is often free and quick. They offer various bundles at any given time.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think I got some great footage while on the water today. Well the footage should be good anyway. I'm really pleased about the way I got it which includes via the new point of view and follow me features as well as with the doc googgles. Everything worked as advertised . I will post video links soon.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looking forward to seeing the follow me capabilities.