• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

iDevice File access tutorial - file manager for iPads and iPhones?

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel - here's a quick tutorial on file access on an iDevice. For the most part, user's files on the iPad are application based. So instead of looking for a place to store the files (like on a computer, with its hard drive) the application stores the files for you and keeps track of their location for you as well. So if you have a word processor, the WP keeps track of them for you and they are accessible only from within the WP. You could add your checklist to your iPad by either buying a WP app for it and adding it that way, or you can use the free iBooks to store PDFs if you can get it into that format. That's what I did. I have a Mac, and I just printed your checklist into a PDF file and added that file to iBooks. That way, I have it anywhere my iPad or iPhone is and can reference it as needed.

Getting files to your iPad: The main conduit for that is when (if?) you sync it with iTunes. There is a place there to add and delete files for access by specific apps. I can expand on this further if you use iTunes with your device. If you don't use iTunes to sync your device, the secondary workaround (useful if you are using iBooks and PDF files) is to email the file to yourself. When you receive the file via email, tap and hold on the file attachment, and it will bring up a little menu of options, one of which is to "open in iBooks." Once you do that, iBooks will permanently store it there for future use unless you delete it.

Sending: Once you have a document in an app (like iBooks) you use the send icon (in iOS 7, it looks like a square box with an arrow pointing upward) to email or print a document. That process is designed to be universal, so anywhere within any app that has files that can be printed or emailed, you will see that icon appear and can use it to email or print whatever you are looking at (as long as it is something that can be emailed or printed, of course.) Works for documents, web pages, photos, videos, and so on. The choices available within that send icon vary by app (some things can only be emailed or printed; some things can be posted directly to Facebook, sent via text, and so on) but the procedure will always be roughly the same. The send icon is for sending; where it can be sent is based on context.

Hope that helps a little...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope - I wondered as I was posting it whether that was the right place, but I thought it might be helpful to others so didn't want to PM it instead. Thanks!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Excellent info Lee. I use goodreader instead of ibooks but same principle. Many don't know you can use the send icon for many things. I don't use itunes, I find it cumbersome and it can change settings making use impossible after! I try to never hook my ipads or iphones to the computer. But I need to sometimes. Thanks for posting this! I "liked" it too.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Siri is pretty great...all the funny questions were a party favorite...she has a little more attitude now.

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Siri is especially helpful for two things - setting reminders and playing music. Very cool to be sitting on the back of the boat with the phone on the back seat, and say "play Jimmy Buffett" (or whatever you like) and not have to search through your music to find it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well, my butt is officially chapped now with my computer. I run a PC that I built after dual core came out. It was a fast machine in its day, with XP as the ops sys. I have replaced the power supply...TWICE, and the cooling fan on the processor once, and the housing fan once. One of the fan bearings is going again. They are cheap at Frys, too cheap apparently! But the main issue is I have having major issues and going to have to do one of two things. Either reinstalled the operating system to eliminate issues, or buy a new computer. Since XP isn't supported anymore, I ain't installing it again. I built this machine with dual HD's in a RAID Mirror to eliminate backups. The drives are full. I am having slow browser issues, and my anti-spyware/anti-virus software isn't cutting the mustard. I give up. I am making the jump to Mac. And horrible timing too. I have to drop off the machine tomorrow and will be without a computer and all the files in it until Monday probably. I still have the ipad and iphone but they are lame compared to a desktop. I have no idea how the learning curve will affect me. I have things I need a non Safari browser for at work. I have windows based files. The Macs now run all of them with included software, but I will have to use some kind of virtual drive or partition and a small windows based platform to run the browser I fear. I may be able to run a secondary browser to run the programs I need to use for home based training, but not sure if I need a windows machine for that or just IE, Chrome, or Firefox.

@leeatmg thanks for the lead there for the pad/phone based stuff. It might be of use! I wish one of you guys were next door to help me learn all of the stuff I can do on a PC on the other machine.

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel - if you need help getting set up, let me know. I've done both but I'm a Mac guy now. I run Windows XP on mine for that rare case I need to use a piece of windows software, and it runs in a window within the Mac OS. It's pretty slick and plenty fast if you find that Firefox or Chrome won't do it for you. You need to invest in a copy of Windows and a copy of either VMWare's Fusion (what I use) or Parallels. Both are good. If you already have a copy of XP you can probably use that, otherwise Windows 8 is around $100 and those two pieces of software are around $60 each I think.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks Lee, I will give you a buzz. I didn't do the drop off today. I got cold feet. I am going to do it, but the possibility of needing to get to my files this weekend was holding me back. I also wanted to remove some secure data to an external before I took in the tower. I intend to run some sort of windows based browser for training stuff but other than that, I am going all Mac. I will probably need parallel. I will run all my windows based stuff like word right on the mac in their programs. But I am going to need to learn to copy a movie on a mac, how to use an alternate program to Paint.Net, which I love for making jpeg adjustments or adding text. So if your willing, I will be giving you a shout! And thanks again!