• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Image Recommendations ?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is there a recommended procedure for adding images directly into posts? Some threads that get to be picture heavy open slow (or fail to load) when viewed on my phone (I think it depends on the speed of whatever network I'm connected to). I just added a handful of pics taken from our good camera at around 4Mb each. I left them as Thumbnails, rather than forcing the entire image into the post.

Is that recommended? Does it matter? When viewing, I personally prefer to have the pic fully embedded rather than a thumbnail... (even though it causes me problems occasionally)

Just curious if there is a preferred method, or if anyone cares? Lol

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 Being out in the sticks, only 25 mins. from BTV, we have a shitty Fairpoint internet @ 1.6mb/s. So I do have some pages that load very slowly. So much so that I have backed out of the page and moved on to another thread. I do not have any issues with loading of thumbnails, If I select to enlarge, which I do often, I expect to wait15-20 secs. for them to load. So being aware of this, 9 times out of 10, I post thumbnails. To be honest it happens most when 4-5 pics. are posted on "One Picture of your Last Outing" ;)

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ideally we would all re-size photos posted to something like 1024x768 as viewing photos in a web browers doesn't need high resolution. That said, it is often not always convenient to resize photos before posting them...and we've not published any guidelines in this regard.

But might not be a bad idea to say...if you post a photo above X MB or Y pixels - to post them as a thumbnail..... @Administrative thoughts on a policy like this?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ideally we would all re-size photos posted to something like 1024x768 as viewing photos in a web browers doesn't need high resolution. That said, it is often not always convenient to resize photos before posting them...and we've not published any guidelines in this regard.

But might not be a bad idea to say...if you post a photo above X MB or Y pixels - to post them as a thumbnail..... @Administrative thoughts on a policy like this?
I have been guilty of trying to upload some large MB panoramic pics. and the site would not let it happen. Once resized they loaded fine and do not slow the loading of the page and I load those as full pics. But guidelines could be helpful.

Edit: just looked at a resized panoramic I posted, and It took a while to load...will use thumbnail now.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Of course, formal guidelines could just give us something to ignore as well. Who's going to bother policing that. :)

I could say that if I'm posting multiple images in a single post that I would use thumbnails over the full image. But, if I'm posting only 1, I'd be more likely to just post the full image.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help the bandwidth challenged in a thread where all 20 posts have a hires image embedded. (as @zipper mentioned)

Also, the cases where howto instructions are being provided, it's much handier to have the image embedded so the appropriate text can accompany the pic.

Anyway, just food for thought.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I hate thumbnails. Can't even see in the thumbnail what it represents. Since our inception, I have been editing posts with thumbnails to full image, so a reader doesn't have to leave the thread to view the picture. As they say, a picture says 1000 words, and in many cases, it answers the question too. I actually wish the pics would upload without giving the thumbnail option. I would rather see size restriction to prevent an upload if it is too big to host.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ever since the photobucket debacle I've switched to Imgur. When grabbing a link to post, it gives you a number of resolutions to choose from, and I've found that 'Huge Thumbnail' is perfect. Here's an example: