• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installation of larger fuel tank on a 2020 242LimitedSE

JB Nonamé

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone looked into installing a larger fuel tank into a Yamaha 242 Limited S? Comes standard with a 50 gal fuel tank, but I wonder if it could safely accomodate a larger tank. Especially since the 2021's have 70 gal tanks and up.

The 2021 Yamaha 255's are pretty close to the same size as the 2020 242's, wondering if I could buy a replacement OEM tank for a 255 and install it. Just looking to get a bit more range.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone looked into installing a larger fuel tank into a Yamaha 242 Limited S? Comes standard with a 50 gal fuel tank, but I wonder if it could safely accomodate a larger tank. Especially since the 2021's have 70 gal tanks and up.

The 2021 Yamaha 255's are pretty close to the same size as the 2020 242's, wondering if I could buy a replacement OEM tank for a 255 and install it. Just looking to get a bit more range.
I wouldn’t think the 2020 has an open cavity, under the cockpit, to accommodate larger dimensions for your fuel tank... but, as no one has a 255 (and might not have one for quite a while), I would ask my dealer to check the specs.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JB Nonamé

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wouldn’t think the 2020 has an open cavity, under the cockpit, to accommodate larger dimensions for your fuel tank... but, as no one has a 255 (and might not have one for quite a while), I would ask my dealer to check the specs.
That was my first stop. He told me they would check, but thought I would post here also. I'm new to this forum but it seems many people here could build a yamaha from scratch! Thought it was worth a shot.

I haven't pulled the deck plate up so you may be right about not having the space. Thanks!

JB Nonamé

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No way to swap tanks for a larger one without cutting into the ski locker....
NOOOO!!!! If thats true, my wife is going to hate you. That means my only option is to buy a new boat!!

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

You could “T” off the main tank with a secondary tank and have a dash-mounted switch like they do with secondary tanks on trucks.......