• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Insurance?

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
$300ish for a year through American Family.

I don’t think I could pay 50% of what I’m paying a month for the actual boat as the OP is paying for insurance!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Assuming you boat all year, I suspect that is a good rate actually. Who are you with?
Rates are likely most impacted by region. To me that price would be ski high and we could boat 365 days here but we stop in November since water levels drop and its frankly not enjoyable in the cold for this southerner lol. If you boat in an area with lots of tourism I could see the rates shooting through the roof with all the weekend warrior and rental boater's. We've had such a strange boating season in Alabama with I think near 30 boat-related deaths this season.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Rates are likely most impacted by region. To me that price would be ski high and we could boat 365 days here but we stop in November since water levels drop and its frankly not enjoyable in the cold for this southerner lol. If you boat in an area with lots of tourism I could see the rates shooting through the roof with all the weekend warrior and rental boater's. We've had such a strange boating season in Alabama with I think near 30 boat-related deaths this season.
30! Wow! Is that mainly because of the coast?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
30! Wow! Is that mainly because of the coast?
Unfortunately these were all accidents on our lakes. I was wrong on the number it's actually 25 deaths and 65 boating accidents. Some were very sad stories about kids and being pulled on tubes, riding at night and colliding with other boats, etc. I think it was last weekend where a father and daughter were on two seperate jet skis and they collided killing the father instantly and the girl lost her leg, I think she survived. Recently we had two people get struck by lightning on one of the lakes I boat on. Just a freaky season and not going to lie it puts me on edge around other boater's this year. I've had several instances where the other boater, usually on a pontoon or runabout but mostly pontoons, simply doesn't care or know about boating safety and navigation when it comes to approaching another boat. Had them cut me off, ride close behind me, approach head on and not know what to do so I would pull back to idle so the dumbass can make up his mind without killing us all. Don't even get me started on annoying jetskis following us on the lake to ride in my wake and waves. Had one kid buzz like 10' off my starboard side at top speed while we were idling. Really pissed me off and I would have chased that punk until he ran out of gas but my wife and kid were with me. Next time he may get a flare gun aimed his way or a drain plug pulled when he docks somewhere. This is why I do my best to try and stay off the waters during busy holiday weekends but with the new boat and our hectic work schedules, we've had to make some exceptions and get out there to use the boat and put hours on it.

Last edited:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Unfortunately these were all accidents on our lakes. I was wrong on the number it's actually 25 deaths and 65 boating accidents. Some were very sad stories about kids and being pulled on tubes, riding at night and colliding with other boats, etc. I think it was last weekend where a father and daughter were on two seperate jet skis and they collided killing the father instantly and the girl lost her leg, I think she survived. Recently we had two people get struck by lightning on one of the lakes I boat on. Just a freaky season and not going to lie it puts me on edge around other boater's this year. I've had several instances where the other boater, usually on a pontoon or runabout but mostly pontoons, simply doesn't care or know about boating safety and navigation when it comes to approaching another boat. Had them cut me off, ride close behind me, approach head on and not know what to do so I would pull back to idle so the dumbass can make up his mind without killing us all. Don't even get me started on annoying jetskis following us on the lake to ride in my wake and waves. Had one kid buzz like 10' off my starboard side at top speed while we were idling. Really pissed me off and I would have chased that punk until he ran out of gas but my wife and kid were with me. Next time he may get a flare gun aimed his way or a drain plug pulled when he docks somewhere. This is why I do my best to try and stay off the waters during busy holiday weekends but with the new boat and our hectic work schedules, we've had to make some exceptions and get out there to use the boat and put hours on it.

That article is incredibly sad, horrific and eye opening. I’m out fairly regularly at night but I might just stop that all together now.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As an update, State Farm quoted me about $400a year. Insanity.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have an agreed value through Geico/Seaworthy and the first couple of years it was somewhat south of $300 (I can't remember exactly). Last year $335. This year, $469! Needless to say, I am shopping for a new company. No excuse to raise it this much!

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
SKiSafe 1,266 a year.

Seemed REALLY high but geico and progressive both same rate or higher. Wonder if it's due to Florida?? Boating all year long.

it does matter based on what coverage you pick. unfortunately the company i used was over the phone so I couldn't play the what-if game and get real quotes. sure I am over insured but its a brand new boat! next year I will figure something else out.

mike

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We should have a master insurance discussion thread! This topic gets covered a lot.

Reasons why comparing prices of insurance isn't always easy:

1. Location - someone who boats in Wisconsin will pay less than someone who boats in NC. Why? Well, the WI boating season is only 4-5 months, while in NC you can boat nearly all year long (and boating is the highest risk part of insuring a boat - vs it sitting in a barn). Also, someone who lives in NC might take their boat on the ocean (you'll pay less in NC if you tell them you don't need ocean coverage). Ocean boating is more risky (read more boat loses, so higher premiums!)
  2. Age- this is an easy one, the older you are the less you'll pay (until you get too old-or unless you have claims)
  3. Value of the boat-our boat are all insured for different amounts due to differing values of the boats and also due to differing insurance needs.
  4. Policy terms/details- you can lower your premium by changing how you are covered. Deductible of 2000 or 250? Medical payments? Umbrella policies. Replacement value etc etc. You can't compare one to another unless all the details are the same.
  5. Claims-have you used your insurance? If so, they might have raised your rates.
  6. Weather-do you live in a hurricane zone? If so, you will pay more. (similar to #1)
I'm sure some of the insurance sales guys on here can add a few more, but suffice to say, a simple comparison between a Wisconsin older guy who owns a 2006 SX230 vs a young guy in FL who owns a 2019 242X will be wildly different - and that isn't even taking into account their insurance policy terms.

Doesn't mean don't shop around....just know there are major differences.

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
$446/yr with Progressive via USAA.
I"m also with Progressive via USAA - however my rates are much higher - in the $750 range for full replacement insurance. $1k deductible. I'm insured at $78k.

Edit: I"m in Atanta and 49.

Last edited:

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We should have a master insurance discussion thread! This topic gets covered a lot.

1. Location - someone who boats in Wisconsin will pay less than someone who boats in NC. Why? Well, the WI boating season is only 4-5 months, while in NC you can boat nearly all year long (and boating is the highest risk part of insuring a boat - vs it sitting in a barn). Also, someone who lives in NC might take their boat on the ocean (you'll pay less in NC if you tell them you don't need ocean coverage). Ocean boating is more risky (read more boat loses, so higher premiums!)
  2. Age- this is an easy one, the older you are the less you'll pay (until you get too old-or unless you have claims)
  3. Value of the boat-our boat are all insured for different amounts due to differing values of the boats and also due to differing insurance needs.
  4. Policy terms/details- you can lower your premium by changing how you are covered. Deductible of 2000 or 250? Medical payments? Umbrella policies. Replacement value etc etc. You can't compare one to another unless all the details are the same.
  5. Claims-have you used your insurance? If so, they might have raised your rates.
  6. Weather-do you live in a hurricane zone? If so, you will pay more. (similar to #1)
I'm sure some of the insurance sales guys on here can add a few more, but suffice to say, a simple comparison between a Wisconsin older guy who owns a 2006 SX230 vs a young guy in FL who owns a 2019 242X will be wildly different - and that isn't even taking into account their insurance policy terms.

Thank you for posting this. It’s pointless to discuss insurance costs without the entire policy info to compare, and then it still won’t matter unless you live close to one another.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Since I own a 2009 SX 230, I know you weren't referring to ME as a "Wisconsin older guy." (Even though I am a "Wisconsin older guy"....) :cool:

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just ran a quote for our new 195S. With Progressive $378 per year. Think I'll also run a quote with State Farm. Quote includes the trailer.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
2020 212S, 65k in coverage on boat and trailer, $28/m w/ $100 deductible. State Farm. Wisconsin location.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

My personal take away from this.....Regardless of vehicle type they can injure and kill you or your loved ones. Alcohol and driving anything does not mix. I've had my share of close calls on the highways but been very fortunate with boating and flying private planes. You do see your fair share of inconsiderate people on the water but I try to avoid at all costs. No better way to kill a jet ski's fun than to come to idle and let them move on to the next boat. We also tend to boat on the larger lakes where boat traffic is thinner. Just be alert and careful on the water.

Mike P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I just got my quote from Progressive. Brand new 2020 195S. Quote covers full $45,000 value of boat and trailer in the event of total loss. Actually includes lots of extras like wreckage recovery, fuel spills, any water based assistance/tow within 75 miles of shore (no charge through 'sign & glide'), roadside assistance on trailer (mechanical or tires - no charge), travel expenses with trailer failure >100 miles from home, collision, comprehensive, uninsured boater medical coverage, 'named storm' coverage with higher deductible ($2,250), etc etc. This is for $500 deductible. Policy is $457 per year. Comes with a disappearing deductible. Hope this helps someone.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just got my quote from Progressive. Brand new 2020 195S. Quote covers full $45,000 value of boat and trailer in the event of total loss. Actually includes lots of extras like wreckage recovery, fuel spills, any water based assistance/tow within 75 miles of shore (no charge through 'sign & glide'), roadside assistance on trailer (mechanical or tires - no charge), travel expenses with trailer failure >100 miles from home, collision, comprehensive, uninsured boater medical coverage, 'named storm' coverage with higher deductible ($2,250), etc etc. This is for $500 deductible. Policy is $457 per year. Comes with a disappearing deductible. Hope this helps someone.
I have almost the exact same coverage with Progressive on our new 195S. I went for $250 deductibles for $481.