• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

internet providers (outside mainstream)

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Suggestions please.

We currently use TWC for services, that said we do not use phone or tv , only internet. TWC has lacked the ability to get my account in working order since Febuary, and has rewarded me with a cost increase.....nope nope nope nope.

I started looking into ATT U-verse. pretty straight forward and a "ok" deal for the first 12 months. BUT, they have an install fee of $199 and a setup fee of something else...........If they drop that I could be convinced.

Dish or direct tv is a turn off based on equipment and contracts....

Keeping in mind I am ONLY interested in INTERNET service.......What other possibilities are out there I can educate myself on at a reasonable cost and attractive speed, like 15mps download or better.

Clear internet, netzero, verizon, finity, Excede, clearwire...........I have no information to form an opinion outside "marketing flyers".

thanks in advance.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh man, I wish I had good news for you. I'm barely able to get bandwidth from Verizon, so don't go there. I have fiber from ATT at the office, but it's not cheap and I'm in a billing dispute with them that has been going on since March.

Infinity was actually OK for the last 6 years I paid for my daughter's service at school, so I don't know if you get them - I think it's Comcast? not sure.

I "had" TWC a long time ago and swore I'd never go back.

I hope you get it all straightened out. let us know what direction you take. maybe you'll get lucky and Google will come into town with fiber. :rolleyes:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It all depends on your area and who is there. Over the years I've had Verizon DSL, Comcast Cable Internet, and now Verizon FIOS. Verizon FIOS is by far the best and cheapest I've had. I have 35/15 bundled with one line and TV and pay about $105 for all 3 before fees. At the end of the end day you are the mercy of the fiber or copper in the ground and who owns it. I would go Fiber before anything else. You will get the best deal with a bundle, so a higher price with ala carte internet is the norm.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went through the same thing with TWC about 6 months ago. I don't know about your part of town but with mine, there were few options. Stayed with TWC, and negotiated a new rate.

I did find that if you went to the local service center over in Cary, they may help you get a better deal rather than the folks over the phone (who are useless)

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got Uverse now for the second time. Mainly, because my TWC 50mb service never registered over 10mb. First time I had it, it was terrible, but I was an early adopter. This time, it's been rock solid and does what I need (although they only offer 18mb service). I've got basic TV service with it, paid no install/setup fees, and spend $99/month. I wish we had FIOS here, I've heard great things. Isn't Google Fiber gonna be out your way soon?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length