• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Is it already time to trade in/up? Advice please!

What to do?

• Total voters

MrWizard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my '08 SX230 back at the end of April, and at the time [well still am] was very happy with the purchase.
Recently though, I've considered doing some upgrades and after much thought [still debating] I'm leaning towards the possibility of trading in the SX for an AR240.

Here's a list of things I'd like to do with my '08 if I decide to continue on with my quest...
1. Wake Tower from Aerial (http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/v/vspfiles/wakeboard-towers/aerial-wakeboarding-freeride-pa.asp)
2. Have a cover made since I don't have garage access all the time
3. Remove carpet/snaps and replace with SeaDek, including swim platform
4. Upgrade stereo components [thanks again @Craig for getting me started on this]
5. Upgrade to dual battery system with battery select/shutoff]

#'s 1 & 2 are getting me seriously ill at the thought of doing the work/outsourcing for install/fabrication of cover. Plus I may lose functionality of bimini top or have to mod that in order for it to work...
Also the cost associated with this mod...
#'s 3, 4 & 5 are relatively simple in nature and I feel I would have no trouble doing these mods

Here's the quandary. Why not just sink money into a boat that has #'s 1, 2 & 5- is larger and from what I've been reading more versatile? I made the "mistake" of stopping in at my semi local Yamaha dealer [fell in love, of course with the AR] and he said that he'd take my boat as trade-in [bought it from him] and work out a deal on a new 2015 AR240 [black, with blue striping].

Or I could sell my boat and buy used. I'm not opposed to that idea. Here's and example of one that's close to me that caught my eye (http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013-YAMAHA-Ar240-High-Output-651116)

Yamaha financing is back to 2.99 I just saw...which is a heck of a lot better than what my bank is giving me. They consider it a personal loan, and it's semi ridiculous. Actually it's full on redic.

Any thoughts to help me out with this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
To me this comes down to how much $ you're willing to invest here. If the thought of spending $ on #1 & #2 are making you ill, I would think that the cost of the upgrade (guessing another $25k) would require serious medical attention. Just kidding of course, but you're comparing apples to oranges here. Used with nice upgrades vs new with bigger payment (or money invested). Keep in mind that all of the other upgrades like the sea deck, stereo, etc probably aren't on the newer boat either. But possibly not needed either due to new stuff being in good working order. Anyway, good luck with your decision. Personally I'd stick with the 08. A custom tower does require a custom cover, but then you can get one that folds and functions exactly the way you want it.

I suspect you're going to get nothing but "upgrade" votes. Everyone here LOVES to spend everyone elses' money! :D:D:D

I've been meaning to put a tower on my boat and haven't because I am concerned about the whole bimini mod issue.

Not sure I'll buy a new boat...rather have someone else eat the depreciation...and add the mods!

Appreciate the replies! Have spent even more time debating which way I wanted to go...
Well I've decided to go ahead with the upgrades...I like the thought of making the boat 'my own' as far as styling and overall it'd be much less expensive.
Hoping to have a project here in a few weeks to do :)

:thumbsup:haha just messin with ya...................but next year dont post the thread that states "Shoulda just traded in for a New Boat" hahah again playin with ya[flag][flag][flag]

I'm guessing the cost of upgrading to a newer AR240 is on the order of $25k, give or take. That buys a lot of mods!

There are some things that you won't be able to match on the AR240 though, like the bigger and quieter engines, bigger and newer hull, electronics, etc.

Also I would like to add that your $25k delta is more than I even paid for my boat. ;)

I can't tell by your signature where you are located, but check this website out. They are in the Oklahoma City area, but it will give you an idea of pricing on an aftermarket tower AND installation. All of the prices you see on this website are WITH installation.

http://waketowerpro.com/index.cfm?p=products

:thumbsup:haha just messin with ya...................but next year dont post the thread that states "Shoulda just traded in for a New Boat" hahah again playin with ya[flag][flag][flag]

Well there goes that pre-planned post :)

I can't tell by your signature where you are located, but check this website out. They are in the Oklahoma City area, but it will give you an idea of pricing on an aftermarket tower AND installation. All of the prices you see on this website are WITH installation.

http://waketowerpro.com/index.cfm?p=products

It would figure 1.) that they're based in OK and 2.) that the tower I want is the 2nd most expensive.
Thanks for the link though! Definitely gives me more pricing points...

The Freeride is towards the top.

... There are some things that you won't be able to match on the AR240 though, like the bigger and quieter engines, bigger and newer hull, electronics, etc.
;)

Which are some of the main points I had when considering my options...
I have someone lined up locally to buy mine next summer if I do want to go a little bit crazy... We'll see.

Back