• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is it okay to use 87,89 or 91 Gas from pump?

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hi. I plan to winterize my boat and unfortunately am not close to a marina to fill up the tank with marine gas. Is it recommended to use regular fuel (with 10% ethanol) to fill up the tank and use stabil ? I would appreciate some input on this ? Thanks

Best
Amar

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have always used auto gas with 10% ethanol and Marine 360 Stabil. Never had a problem and save about $1 a gallon. I do only use major brand gas, mostly Shell or Chevron. once or twice a season I do add Techron to my fuel.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ethanol gas will be fine....just be sure to treat with Sta-bil
Do you recommend using sta-bil at every fill up if using 10%ethanol?

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
AR 195.... got to run 92-93 octane

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Marine Stabil 360 only requires 1 once per 10 gallons. I add the appropriate amount prior to every fillup....is cheap insurance.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Depends on how much you use the boat and as such, how long that gas will sit. I've only ever used sta-bil for storage times and never had an issue.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Marine Stabil 360 only requires 1 once per 10 gallons. I add the appropriate amount prior to every fillup....is cheap insurance.
I agree with this, cheap insurance. Besides, you never know when weather or circumstance may prevent you from using the boat the rest of the season or even longer term. If you always use Stabil, you know your covered.

The fuel sending units in the Yamahas are looking for a certain specific gravity fuel, and fuels with ethanol and those without, have a different weight. Your fuel gauge will be off if you use non ethanol fuels, because our normally aspirated boats are adjusted for ethanol "regular" unleaded fuels.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Depends on how much you use the boat and as such, how long that gas will sit. I've only ever used sta-bil for storage times and never had an issue.
I'm talking about everyday fill ups, not storage. Let's say I use my boat a lot and require a weekly fill up in the summer. Does sta-bil help with fuel that has ethanol? Or is it strictly storage over the cold months? I used to fill up my I/O with regular at the gas station and go boating, no additives. Didn't know if I needed additive on my 212x for every fill up. Thanks for the info.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It's a matter of opinion @Av8tor07. Fuel you use fast has no need for ethanol treatment. But there are not only stabilizers and ethanol treatment in Stabil 360, it has cleaners as well for injectors and like I said, you never know when the last time out is the last time out. But if you do indeed run a tank a week, I would see no reason to run Stabil through the early and mid season. However, if in salt water, I sure would fog once a month at least, use Yamaha Ring Free Plus, and buy stock in Corrosion X. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to boating, we all have different variables. Hope I have answered your question, just ask again if not.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's a matter of opinion @Av8tor07. Fuel you use fast has no need for ethanol treatment. But there are not only stabilizers and ethanol treatment in Stabil 360, it has cleaners as well for injectors and like I said, you never know when the last time out is the last time out. But if you do indeed run a tank a week, I would see no reason to run Stabil through the early and mid season. However, if in salt water, I sure would fog once a month at least, use Yamaha Ring Free Plus, and buy stock in Corrosion X. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to boating, we all have different variables. Hope I have answered your question, just ask again if not.
Thanks for your help.

Deuces WIld

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I add Stabil with every fill up after mid summer heading into the winterize. Some late summers I use the boat often and sometimes life intercedes. As others have stated its cheap insurance for bad gas and ethanol in general.