• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is it possible to replace Bimini Straps?

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK i know it is possible, but do i have to disassemble everything?

I noticed both of my bimini straps are shredding. Has anyone replaced theirs?

My canvas top is sewn on and i dont see an obvious way to replace without removing the entire top and taking apart the frame...

Can i take that screw loose on frame and feed the new strap through the bimini top where sewn onto frame?

See Pics:
bimini strap1.jpg bimini strap2.jpg bimini frame1.jpg

The straps should be looped around the frame and held in place by a screw or pop rivet. You can replace them fairly easily. drill out the rivet/ unscrew the screw, cut the old strap. You'll have to do a little bit of sewing to loop the new strap around the frame again.
Replace screw or pop rivet. :cool:

I replaced mine. I just sewed a loop onto the new strap and unscrewed one of the connection points then feed it up through the binini.

No need to sew straps in most cases... Straps either have a loop sewn in (genuine Yamaha replacement straps), or they don't (webbing by the foot at local craft store).

If it has a loop:
  1. Undo one of the ends of the bimini support bars, using whatever method is appropriate for your bars (I just yank a pin).
  2. Slide the loop over the end of support bar and up to the bimini top. Bend a coathanger into a tight hook, feed that down the part of the bimini sleeve you need to get the strap to, put the loop over the hook, pull back to strap opening in the bimini sleeve, pull loose end through the sleeve until it's free.
  3. Drink something frosty.

If it doesn't have a loop... get a turnbuckle/cam adjuster/strap slide adjuster, etc. There are many different "things" that can make a small adjustable loop. Look at a kid's backpack... See where the straps are adjustable? You want one of those! A local craft store should have you covered.
  1. Feed end of web strap where old strap was, install adjuster.
  2. Drink something frosty.
If really needed, I can post pictures of some of mine... I had to redo all the strapping on my cover when I changed trailers and I just did the same thing to that to get longer lines. Personally, I'd prefer sewn in loops on a bimini top... they're stronger than plastic clips and I've seen biminis go flying in Florida storms.

No need to sew straps in most cases... Straps either have a loop sewn in (genuine Yamaha replacement straps), or they don't (webbing by the foot at local craft store).

If it has a loop:
  1. Undo one of the ends of the bimini support bars, using whatever method is appropriate for your bars (I just yank a pin).
  2. Slide the loop over the end of support bar and up to the bimini top. Bend a coathanger into a tight hook, feed that down the part of the bimini sleeve you need to get the strap to, put the loop over the hook, pull back to strap opening in the bimini sleeve, pull loose end through the sleeve until it's free.
  3. Drink something frosty.

If it doesn't have a loop... get a turnbuckle/cam adjuster/strap slide adjuster, etc. There are many different "things" that can make a small adjustable loop. Look at a kid's backpack... See where the straps are adjustable? You want one of those! A local craft store should have you covered.
  1. Feed end of web strap where old strap was, install adjuster.
  2. Drink something frosty.
If really needed, I can post pictures of some of mine... I had to redo all the strapping on my cover when I changed trailers and I just did the same thing to that to get longer lines. Personally, I'd prefer sewn in loops on a bimini top... they're stronger than plastic clips and I've seen biminis go flying in Florida storms.
You, my friend, are making me THIRSTY!!!

Perfect! Thanks for the feedback.

I read that if you twist (2-3 times) the bimini straps before securing the hook that it will prevent the straps from fraying like this... Does anyone do this? Does it work if so?

Most do twist them to keep them from buzzing in the wind which might cause the fraying.

One full twist usually does the trick. It can depend on tension in the strap and air speed. Change any one variable and the harmonic will change.

The straps I bought at West marine had the buckle and clips included....just cut off the old one, loop the new one through, tighten and clip on. And yes....a twist or two prevents the buzz....

OK i know it is possible, but do i have to disassemble everything?

I noticed both of my bimini straps are shredding. Has anyone replaced theirs?

My canvas top is sewn on and i dont see an obvious way to replace without removing the entire top and taking apart the frame...

Can i take that screw loose on frame and feed the new strap through the bimini top where sewn onto frame?

Just replaced mine this season. Ordered some UV resistant webbing (off amazon) and reused the yamaha hook and triglide. I used some high strength UV resistant polyester thread used for outdoor upholstery. I made mine just like the OEM strap with a sewn loop at the bimini and the hook and triglide at the other end. It is real straight forward and I'm not a seamstress. It took me longer to figure out how to use my mom's sewing machine than to actually replace the straps. Yes you can remove the screws and slip the looped end over the bimini pole (make sure you make the loop big enough) and through the sewn top just like the OEM.

Total cost for materials was ~15 dollars.

Cheers,
Toby

Back