• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is Shore Power Required

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Gents - I'm in the design phase for a stereo upgrade on my 2016 212x and having never designed a marine stereo system before, and after reading multiple threads here on this great forum, I have a couple questions for those who have done it before.

Will the power generated by my engines be enough to maintain power to two batteries servicing my system, which is:

x6 100w RMS boat speakers
x2 300w RMS tower speakers
x1 300w sub

The boat's primary function will be water sports and will be underway when the stereo is being exercised.

I won't have power available to me at the dock to charge the batteries so I'm hoping I'm OK with the power generated by my alternator(s). If not, what are my best options?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What is your battery setup going to be like? You should have enough juice from the stators to keep the stereo running throughout the day, but without extra run time, it is likely that your batteries won't get charged by them. Is your boat going to be on a lift at the dock, or will you be pulling it out after each outing?

I have two group 31 house batteries and a dedicated start battery with the ProSport 20 Plus 3-bank charger on my boat, and it takes a few hours after each outing to top off the batteries. We spend a few hours at anchor listening to music each time though.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is going to depend on how many amps you have, the level at which you play your music (how hard the amps are working), and when you are listening to the stereo (only while engine is running, or while anchored too).

If you run the stereo while the boat isn't running, the stators will have a challenge replenishing that charge.
If you crank the music really loud and have multiple amps while running, the power draw will likely be more than the stators can replenish while running.

Is the boat going to be wet slipped or on a lift?
  • If wet slipped, I'd be hesitant to leave it without shore power of some sort...
  • If it is on a lift, then a solar charger might be sufficient, depending on the time between runs and if it is sunny.

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The boat is going to be wet slipped and without a power source.

My plan is to use the stock battery for starting and will be installing a Northstar 31M AGM as my "house" unit.

So it sounds like I'm either going to have to install an alternator (thanks for letting me know what my engines have in this regard) or a fold away type solar unit for when I'm moored/docked.

Has anyone installed an alternator or is this even possible? ..and is this and or the solar option my only options?

Thinking I should have investigated power before designing and buying my equipment.

Product in hand is:

Qty.6 https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-650

Amp to drive all 6: https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/HTX6 (100W RMS per speaker)

Tower Speakers: https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/REV8

Sub Woofer: https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-10FA

Amp to drive tower and Sub: https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/HTX6 (3 channel mode) - 300 Watts x 3 RMS

EQ: https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-420BT

EDIT: I guess I can always take out the house battery when I dock the boat, and bring it to my trailer for charging? Massive PITA...

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Boat operations (ignition, etc.) can consume about one/half the charging system output when underway. The current draw of the audio system at a high volume will exceed the remaining and available supply. So as the hours of boating pass, there may be a slow erosion of your battery reserves. In order for your batteries to retain a high percentage of their original reserves, and to avoid constant battery replacement, you need to charge the batteries up to full as soon as possible after use. The only way to accomplish this is with shore power in one form or another. Solar panels would be a compromise but better than no solution at all. If using a solar panel, you'll need to make the most of limited sunlight opportunities, so I would run something substantial, far above a maintenance charge, and definitely use a charging module.

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Looks like I'm going to go with a dual house battery config and will charge them each night up at the cottage - in the market for a good wagon to transport them on LOL

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Looks like I'm going to go with a dual house battery config and will charge them each night up at the cottage - in the market for a good wagon to transport them on LOL

You can't top a little red Radio Flyer.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length