• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is the Yamaha 275 SD worth $130,000

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
For $130k, IMO you should also consider looking at the Regal 26OBX. If tomorrow I was to upgrade boats, that's the one I'd get, my family loves it, and we've been jetboating for 20yrs now. Boat show price for a nicely equipped one (134k sticker) with canvas covers,power folding tower,painted engine, electric toilet, trim tabs, etc was 100k (NO Trailer).

I also like the SeaRay 270SDX OB, but it's a bit heavier and at the treshold of my towing (I also do not want a truck)

Regal 26OBX Pros:
-It's only a footer shorter, but still a ton of seating and space, better than the 275 IMO since the Regal has the passenger flip chair.
- 8.5' wide. No worries about towing. Not that much heavier than my current boat. Mercedes should be able to easily tow it.
- 50mph top speed and great fuel economy and quiet OB. 10 gal larger tank and over twice the range at cruising. Anything is going to be better than the 275 that guzzles twice the fuel.
- 16" draft.
- No proprietary electronics (besides the OB stuff).

Cons:
- Yeah, the outboard takes up half the back, but then you do get back some transom on the sides, so overall, you still have just about the same amount of "waterfront footage". You gain a TREMENDOUS amount of internal storage, I could not believe how much more storage there was.

Towing: Most states require permits above 8.5', including FL. I've yet to read one horror story of somebody getting pulled over anywhere EXCEPT in the FL keys where they are notorious for enforcing it and making people leave their boat on the side of the road.
Fuel: The 275 really guzzles gas. OB do a lot better at no wake speeds and slightly better at cruising.
Grass: I can't recall ever clogging up with grass in the stpete/clearwater/anclote area. I have clogged further north by crystal river/steinhatchee. Miami, it's 50/50 chance. The keys, last several years, 100% chance I will clog up multiples times in a day. It doesn't ruin the day, but it SUCKS. Destroys my hands reaching into the cleanout multiple times a day.

The reasons I am going back to OB:
1) Grass. I am tired of it. Grass problem in FL seems to keep getting worse every year. And it's just not about dealing with it when you do clog up, it's constantly having to scan the waters ahead driving full time and zigzaging to avoid, it's just not fun.
2) Seating & Storage. We will have lots of people on our boat. I want more comfortable seating all around too.
3) Noise. Everytime I get on an OB boat, I wish my yamaha was quieter.

If you really want jet, you should also look at Scarab, they are coming out with a 285 model.
@ptwb .....BEAUTIFUL!.....the boat's OK too!.....BTW the engine is a - wait for it - YAMAHA! Oh Yeah!

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
For that price point, my money is on a cruiser that I can use overnight.
@Robconn agreed, 130K will definitely get some decent cruisers. You could probably get a 2011-2014 Rinker EC 310 express cruiser (as in 50 mph) for that with twin 350 Mercruiser Magnums with a Bravo lll counter rotating prop set up, with a generator, separate head/shower, fridge, stove, microwave, TV that would sleep six - so there are options at that price point.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Robconn agreed, 130K will definitely get some decent cruisers. You could probably get a 2011-2014 Rinker EC 310 express cruiser (as in 50 mph) for that with twin 350 Mercruiser Magnums with a Bravo lll counter rotating prop set up, with a generator, separate head/shower, fridge, stove, microwave, TV that would sleep six - so there are options at that price point.
I have had this conversation with my wife. The used cruiser market is going to be Yamaha’s major competitor at that price range. If money was unlimited I would get both!

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
1594482205645.png
I wonder how tricky it would be to fab up and add this to a 210 FSH? :)

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
275 is a great boat , Needs a rudder thats how bad it is to steer at low speeds!!! Biggest mistake of my life buying this boat

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
275 is a great boat , Needs a rudder thats how bad it is to steer at low speeds!!! Biggest mistake of my life buying this boat
Have you had other jet boats in the past? I didn’t feel like the steering was any worse than my AR240. Can you not add some cobra jet fins?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Have you had other jet boats in the past? I didn’t feel like the steering was any worse than my AR240. Can you not add some cobra jet fins?
@Crazyjetboater .....doesn't the 2020 275 have RIDE (paddle) docking/steering that is like Axius or Dock Assist? BTW - do you know how to use twin engines to dock using the two throttles independently? This boat should be a breeze to dock and maneuver. Have you watched the Boat Test video with Captain Steve explaining how to dock and maneuver this boat? I just did. Therefore, In my opinion, anyone who doesn't find the Yamaha 275 a breeze to dock should not be allowed to captain a boat.

Last edited:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
A lot cheaper than $130k! Lol
@Robconn .....I have done a lot of fabrication mods in the past. IMO this is doable IF you have the room to put a 1/8" thick aluminum or SS backing plate in the cavity to spread the load. If that's possible I'd bed the plate in Sikaflex or 3M to fill any voids for strength and to stop water intrusion. Would love to see the result if you do it!

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Crazyjetboater .....doesn't the 2020 275 have RIDE (paddle) docking/steering that is like Axius or Dock Assist? BTW - do you know how to use twin engines to dock using the two throttles? This boat should be a breeze to dock and maneuver You should look at the Boat Test video - I just did - anyone who can't easily dock the Yamaha 275 should not be allowed in a boat!

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With installation of cobra jet fins or jetboatpilot thrust vectors, steering at low speeds will be significantly improved. I agree, the factory rudder on this boat and other large boats like the 24’ is way too small to be effective but still better than not having anything. Maybe you can consider this upgrade to improve low speed steering. Lots Of us have had great results with it.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
With installation of cobra jet fins or jetboatpilot thrust vectors, steering at low speeds will be significantly improved. I agree, the factory rudder on this boat and other large boats like the 24’ is way too small to be effective but still better than not having anything. Maybe you can consider this upgrade to improve low speed steering. Lots Of us have had great results with it.
@ZGhost .....watch the Boat Test video of this boat featuring Captain Steve. The new Yamaha 275 could be docked by a sixth grader just like the video of a six year old boy docking a 38 foot Sea Ray with Axius. If people don't know how to use the technology it is not the manufacturer's fault.

Last edited:

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I remember when the wife and I had gone out on the test drive with the broker on our 242. I was watching him and wondering why he was having to steer so much while we were heading out of the marina. Then it was my turn to take the wheel and I understood very quickly why he was literally having to do it...... when we got the boat home and finally took it out for a bit, then returned to the marina I said the exact same thing... HUGE MISTAKE! THIS BOAT IS UNCONTROLLABLE AT SLOW/LOW SPEEDS!!!!!! But then came Cobra Jet Fangs and WAHHH LAHHHHHH problem solved. That 27 footer is a win and I think honestly, some practice and development of FANGS or Thrust Vectors is going to resolve 99% of the heartache. Regardless of the keel thats on it already.... I think there is room for some serious improvement.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If I had the money I would love to buy one for surfing (imagine the waves with it loaded down) except there's NO TOW POINT?! WTH! Otherwise, beautiful boats.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where are you and I wonder if an "veteran" jet boat pilot could give you in person tips on how to drive her....