• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is the Yamaha 275 SD worth $130,000

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
  • Funky looks (subjective, I know, but I personally think it's an ugly boat due to the windshield design and overall profile)
I totally agree and cant get passed that fugly windshield design...I love the lines of the rest of the Yamaha line-up.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me, it was to be able to get twin engines and a great layout in a reasonably priced boat. The options in the 24' market are limited in that respect (and the other boats take a pretty commanding price jump), the 27' market isn't the same discussion since the price leap for yamaha is so huge. If the 275 were priced something like 80/95/110 - I might be steering back to it being the best value in that size.

I don't quite get the 'running in extreme shallows' either. Sure, in theory the boat can run on plane in 6-8" of water or something crazy... but what if you need to stop? Then you're right back to needing 1.5-2' (AKA, an I/O with drive up), and if you're starting in that depth you're sucking half the bottom with you. The shallow draft for me is just an insurance policy, but I still get wary when I see 4.5/5' depth on the dash - things change in a hurry.

My bottom line opinion - and its cool if you/others don't share it) - is that Yamaha is a solid performer and pretty good in the fit/finish department from 19-24'. Equivalent high-end boats all have a 20-30K price gap separating them (with a better fit/finish/materials, but not sure its worth the premium). At 130K (without trailer)? It's not a clear cut winner.
I was thinking of the 275s in question. No doubt the 240s are great value, I have one! The 275 - not so much.
Extreme shallow - I mean really any small river or estuary. In my little river that can turn into a creek during drought I have had accidental hits (into logs? or I dont even know what) - that destroyed my (OB) lower unit... twice in one season - that’s how I came to my first Yamaha JB.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
For me, it was to be able to get twin engines and a great layout in a reasonably priced boat. The options in the 24' market are limited in that respect (and the other boats take a pretty commanding price jump), the 27' market isn't the same discussion since the price leap for yamaha is so huge. If the 275 were priced something like 80/95/110 - I might be steering back to it being the best value in that size.

I don't quite get the 'running in extreme shallows' either. Sure, in theory the boat can run on plane in 6-8" of water or something crazy... but what if you need to stop? Then you're right back to needing 1.5-2' (AKA, an I/O with drive up), and if you're starting in that depth you're sucking half the bottom with you. The shallow draft for me is just an insurance policy, but I still get wary when I see 4.5/5' depth on the dash - things change in a hurry.

My bottom line opinion - and its cool if you/others don't share it) - is that Yamaha is a solid performer and pretty good in the fit/finish department from 19-24'. Equivalent high-end boats all have a 20-30K price gap separating them (with a better fit/finish/materials, but not sure its worth the premium). At 130K (without trailer)? It's not a clear cut winner.
When I had the 192 I could get away with 6". With this boat, I tried and bumped the bottom. I would expect the same with yours too. 8-10 should be min.
When ever taking off in shallow water, an old buddy once said get the boat moving, turn the wheel hard and gas it. This will lean the boat on its side (sort of). Granted that was with a single I/O but to this day I still do it. I think it works on jet as your providing more water and not allowing the stern to drop.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
maybe a handful of 275's sold by now ....but where are they? The 275 just seems like a disconnected red headed step child compared to the rest of the lineup.
Seem to be a few owners popping up in the FB groups. Haven’t really seen any chime in here, yet, though.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Seem to be a few owners popping up in the FB groups. Haven’t really seen any chime in here, yet, though.
Going to be two out our marina on Barkley

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Going to be two out our marina on Barkley
Sweet. I hope to make it down there again one day. Spent 1 night on Kentucky lake with our boat, 2 years ago. Really just enough time for a couple cruises and had to leave.

We were passing through on the way home with the boat and decided to stop for the night. Got an evening cruise in before dark, and next day boated till about 1:00 then left. We did explore Barkley just a bit before turning back.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I had the 192 I could get away with 6". With this boat, I tried and bumped the bottom. I would expect the same with yours too. 8-10 should be min.
When ever taking off in shallow water, an old buddy once said get the boat moving, turn the wheel hard and gas it. This will lean the boat on its side (sort of). Granted that was with a single I/O but to this day I still do it. I think it works on jet as your providing more water and not allowing the stern to drop.
No way!
I have learned it the hard way - NEVER start my jet boat in anything less than 3 ft, ideally. If more shallow than that I would rather push into deeper water.
I did it once, started in shallow, never again. I sucked a rock from the bottom that was the size of a baseball! It destroyed the impeller, of course.

--

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
No way!
I have learned it the hard way - NEVER start my jet boat in anything less than 3 ft, ideally. If more shallow than that I would rather push into deeper water.
I did it once, started in shallow, never again. I sucked a rock from the bottom that was the size of a baseball! It destroyed the impeller, of course.

--
3'! Where I boat and the tide levels, damn, I may as well stay home. Where I take off from it's 2' (depth finder readings). I do that "manuever" and off I go (sometimes I do cut the wheel the other way). IMO the idea works cause you're bringing your boat on plane "slowly" rather than all at once. Heck, keep doing circles till you're there. :cool:

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For $130k, IMO you should also consider looking at the Regal 26OBX. If tomorrow I was to upgrade boats, that's the one I'd get, my family loves it, and we've been jetboating for 20yrs now. Boat show price for a nicely equipped one (134k sticker) with canvas covers,power folding tower,painted engine, electric toilet, trim tabs, etc was 100k (NO Trailer).

I also like the SeaRay 270SDX OB, but it's a bit heavier and at the treshold of my towing (I also do not want a truck)

Regal 26OBX Pros:
-It's only a footer shorter, but still a ton of seating and space, better than the 275 IMO since the Regal has the passenger flip chair.
- 8.5' wide. No worries about towing. Not that much heavier than my current boat. Mercedes should be able to easily tow it.
- 50mph top speed and great fuel economy and quiet OB. 10 gal larger tank and over twice the range at cruising. Anything is going to be better than the 275 that guzzles twice the fuel.
- 16" draft.
- No proprietary electronics (besides the OB stuff).

Cons:
- Yeah, the outboard takes up half the back, but then you do get back some transom on the sides, so overall, you still have just about the same amount of "waterfront footage". You gain a TREMENDOUS amount of internal storage, I could not believe how much more storage there was.

Towing: Most states require permits above 8.5', including FL. I've yet to read one horror story of somebody getting pulled over anywhere EXCEPT in the FL keys where they are notorious for enforcing it and making people leave their boat on the side of the road.
Fuel: The 275 really guzzles gas. OB do a lot better at no wake speeds and slightly better at cruising.
Grass: I can't recall ever clogging up with grass in the stpete/clearwater/anclote area. I have clogged further north by crystal river/steinhatchee. Miami, it's 50/50 chance. The keys, last several years, 100% chance I will clog up multiples times in a day. It doesn't ruin the day, but it SUCKS. Destroys my hands reaching into the cleanout multiple times a day.

The reasons I am going back to OB:
1) Grass. I am tired of it. Grass problem in FL seems to keep getting worse every year. And it's just not about dealing with it when you do clog up, it's constantly having to scan the waters ahead driving full time and zigzaging to avoid, it's just not fun.
2) Seating & Storage. We will have lots of people on our boat. I want more comfortable seating all around too.
3) Noise. Everytime I get on an OB boat, I wish my yamaha was quieter.

If you really want jet, you should also look at Scarab, they are coming out with a 285 model.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Towing: Most states require permits above 8.5', including FL. I've yet to read one horror story of somebody getting pulled over anywhere EXCEPT in the FL keys where they are notorious for enforcing it and making people leave their boat on the side of the road
Forgot NH. They’ll hunt you down if you are a fraction of an inch over, lol.
no sale tax I guess they need to find it somewhere.

Last edited:

AT4TX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The Scarab 285 is a $140k boat if you go with the tower and the 300s. plus the beam is larger at 9’ 2” so same permit issue. The 285 is a stretched and wider version of the Glastron GTD 240, the similarities are uncanny.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I decided to buy the Monterey M 65

Love it and it was only $95,000
Congratulations,
you need to start a new thread with pictures and your experience with it and where you are boating,

AT4TX

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Congrats!! I was looking real hard at the M-65, fantastic boat! The problem for us is the closest Monterey dealer is 3 hours away.

Post some pics of your new hot rod, when you get a chance.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Those do look sharp. Please post pics.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

You should switch your boat make to Monterey.....

So when you look at the Monterey at 95K, you really should be comparing it to the base model 275 (99k) not the SD with its HUGE hard top.

When I look at these two, as everyone has pointed out, the stern of the Yamaha is WAY more functional. Very different boats for sure - and each has its advantages.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I wonder why the Yamaha 275 SD is $130,000

when the Yamaha 242S is only $65,000

That's twice the price for only three (3) more feet
@RACCAP .....you have received some good, varied and thought-provoking advice. I happen to love the design of the 275 and if you can afford it - do it. I respectfully suggest not be put-off by Supercharged Yamahas as they are awesome examples of advanced engineering. Super powerful, super reliable and exactly what you would want in a 27 foot boat. I had an SVHO in my 2018 Waverunner and have one now in my 2020 FX 195 - wouldn't even consider anything else. If I can't afford the 91 gas I shouldn't have bought the boat. To be a boater and worry about gas is, in my opinion, a fool's errand. To be honest, I don't even track the gas usage - couldn't care less. I do look at the MPG read-outs sometimes but just for knowledge of potential distances and for -yes - fun! In 2014 we bought a new 38 foot cruiser with twin Mercruiser 502 Magnums. They drank 24 gallons of 91 per hour at cruise. Could easily spend $800 - 1K per day on 91 fuel on a long leg to a marina or restaurant. Easily spent 35K a year on 91 fuel. BTW when anchored the 5KW generator easily drank 7 gph keeping the A/C, ice maker, blender, two satellite TVs, stereo and two refrigerators going. So what - loved it. Cost about 55K a year all-in gas, slipage, storage, mooring and maintenance. If I couldn't have afforded it I shouldn't have purchased it and who would want to hear me complain about it even if I had wanted to? Likely no one so - FWIW - my opinion - life is short, follow your heart/dreams or even what you bloody well feel like doing. :)

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If I was in the market for a $130k boat, I'd definitely look at the Yamaha. But, I'd also look at others and knowing that they can be had for less than MSRP, I'd be curious to see what my money can buy, what the overall functionality of it is for how we use it, and so forth. No matter what, choose the boat that's best-suited to what you do and how you'll use it. That's where you'll be happiest.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
If I was in the market for a $130k boat, I'd definitely look at the Yamaha. But, I'd also look at others and knowing that they can be had for less than MSRP, I'd be curious to see what my money can buy, what the overall functionality of it is for how we use it, and so forth. No matter what, choose the boat that's best-suited to what you do and how you'll use it. That's where you'll be happiest.
@Matt Phillips great points....and yes, 130K will still buy a lot of boat at which price there are many completely different styles and types of boats available.