• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this even legal

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious if this is really a legal set up?

tow vehicle.jpg
tow vehicle.jpg

Yes, The boat trailer has a catapult on it and it launches the boat right into the lake.:)
Theres probably length limits. I can't imagine trying to change lanes with that rig. Texas allows a camper and a boat to be towed not exceeding 65'.

Last edited:
I'd like to see him back up! :oops:

Probably the little trailer at the end is what makes it a problem lengthwise.

I wonder if the tires of the pickup are rated for that weight. That boat likely weights more than 3000lbs to need dual axle.

"Pack your bags kids......were going on vacation" Atleast we drive two trucks when we go on vacation....LOL

Probably the little trailer at the end is what makes it a problem lengthwise.

I wonder if the tires of the pickup are rated for that weight. That boat likely weights more than 3000lbs to need dual axle.
Really only the weight of the boat is in the bed. The weight of the fifth wheel is being supported by the caddy so I would say he is fine with the weight on the truck.

Pin weight on my fifth wheel is over 4,000 lbs.

7% of the trailer+3000lbs+weight of pickup. That's a lot of weight....

I stand corrected. These big pickups can carry a lot!

4,162 to 4,346 lbs f350 payload.

I stand corrected. These big pickups can carry a lot!

4,162 to 4,346 lbs f350 payload.
Yep, They can usually tow close to 20,000 lbs.

Last edited:
I guess there is some sort of machinery in the bed to lower the boat down, or he's carrying a fork lift in the small trailer? Seems like investing in another tow vehicle would save a lot of time.

You think you hate it now, just wait until you drive it!Vacation_006Pyxurz-1024x720.jpg

No go in California.

That thing has to be close to 14-15 feet high...that 5th wheel has to be about 12 on its own. I'd also think that's WAY longer than 65 feet in overall length.

I am pretty sure it would only be legal by special dot permit. Like a wide load or tall load. Commercial trucks can pull tandems but not triples without a special use permit.

The front strut on the trailer that is held up by the front end of the truck looks undersized, at least. It might be sufficient to hold the load up (looks as though boat is supported at four points further aft), but it is very unlikely to be sufficient to handle side-side sway loads, let alone any such dynamic condition set that develops vortex shedding (aerodynamic issue) or rhythmic mechanical dynamics (could happen with expansion joints, etc.) I highly doubt any PE would sign off on that design... and I would not put my family or myself in the cab of that truck travelling at speed. Might be OK at parking lot speeds.

Any LEOs or attorneys have any thoughts?

That's a F-450. I'm sure it handles the weight just fine. Double towing is only legal in some states. I am unsure if the dolly is legal. Length would be the issue that gets you pulled over.

I wouldn't want to be behind the wheel and technically that there is triple towing. There are 3 pivot points in play. Towing a fifth wheel is night and day better then towing a bumper pull anything. I have tandem pulled before for a 4 hour tow.

20160727_081744-jpg.42528

With a permit that rig may be legal in a lot of places. Without a permit height and length are likely both limiting factors as to where and if legal. Rough guesses truck = 22 feet long, fifth wheel =35 feet long and 13 feet high, enclosed cargo trailer = 16 ft long, and boat on top of truck = 15ft -16ft high. That boat sure makes an interesting wind deflector for the fifth wheel at that angle.

Found this on Facebook.

1D4AEA3A-2BFE-4331-A8FD-782D5CD569E6.png

So in other words......... Not legal :p:p:p:p:p:p

Back