• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jamaica

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
very similar to what was going on in MX with the tainted alcohol/drugging, the review websites were paid to take down bad or reviews that stated problems so nobody knew how frequently it was happening,

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jamaica is a bad place. My in laws spent 14 months there on a church mission trip and told all their kids to never visit - way too dangerous!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's horrible. We go there a lot. We typical stay at "Couples" where it is only husband and wife, no 3rd parties.

Edit : I read the entire article and wow. This could happen even at couples to my wife. The last trip was different as this was the first time we didn't goto tower isle. We went to negril on seven mile beach and the laws were totally disregarded. Selling pot on the beach right in front of security and the National police. Tower isle is closed off from other resorts and I have second thoughts about security there. Thanks for the article @BigN8

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, that's fucking nuts. I've never been, but we were just talking about going because its close and reasonably inexpensive. Always thought Jamaica was fine as long as you stayed on resort. I'm sure this stuff happens elsewhere too, but that's a little too frequent for my liking.

Also, when I saw this thread I thought someone was getting really brave with their boat, lol.

Robo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We went with our 2 duaghters and was warned on the plane by a nice lady. we didnt have any trouble but my wife and kids never left my sight for long

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow! Thanks for the article @BigN8 . My wife and I took a cruise for our honeymoon almost 20 years ago and one of the stops was Ocho Rios. We were only there a few hours and did an excursion through the cruise line and afterwards had a little time to explore on our own. We got spooked and got back to the ship in a hurry. We agreed to never again to go to Jamaica. We went to Cozimel and Grand Caymen on the same cruise and were much more relaxed and comfortable. The only thing that the cruise line warned us about were people trying to sell us drugs and beggars. If we went on another cruise where one of the stops was Jamaica we'd simply stay on the boat.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PEARCE - It's Grand Cayman sir. The land of my birth :)

@BigN8 @seanmclean
My wife was born and raised in Jamaica just as I was born and raised in the Cayman Islands. We go home a lot and just were in Jamaica in July. She is from the Kingston area (definitely the non-tourist area). While crime is bad down there (in certain areas) we never have an issue maybe because we both speak patois and that's our part of the world. I've heard of incidences like this occurring as it does everywhere you go. I am not going vehemently defend Jamaica because as I said I know of the crime stories overall, however, that article makes it sound like it is happening to a larger population. It says over 7 years 78 women were raped but please keep in mind that Jamaica got over 2.3 million overnight tourists just in 2017 alone. Even one rape is bad but please don't assume that every experience is going to be that way. I have a lot of friends who also go every year and they never have issues or experience any crime. It's like anywhere you go, you are in unfamiliar territory and people prey on those that are out of their element. Growing up in the islands I witnessed a whole lot of people acting in manners that they wouldn't normally at home thereby making themselves vulnerable to things that might not ever happen at home.

Again I'm not saying these things don't happen but don't deny yourself the experience. I have travelled over a lot of this world and I have had to be careful (even as a man) in a lot of the places I have been. To that point I carry a firearm in Orlando every day where I never had that worry in 27 years of living in the Caribbean.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I lived there for two years as a missionary and traveled all over the island during that time. No doubt a lot has changed in the 13 years I've been away... I do feel I was there long enough to gather a good sense of the people and environment. My overall consensus is that it's a beautiful place full of beautiful and kind people who I love and feel a special connection to.

For the most part it's a very faith oriented society. There's practically a church on every corner. In contrast however, there's also a bar just around every corner. Churches for the Christians and bars for the rastas. For the most part people were very friendly and easy to approach and talk to. I never felt personally threatened although I did witness some violent acts... I was offered a lot of weed... LOL! We never accepted. In regards to sex, I'd say it's a pretty promiscuous environment. They're not known for being shy.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of economical and social challenges. I got the sense that the police force the is not respected by its own people. As a result, things run a little fast and loose. In many regards the morality and integrity of the people that are comprise the community determine the overall safety of the environment. I couldn't begin to express how incredible most everyone was. But, due to the lack of respect for law enforcement you find there's a lot of crime of every type with lesser fear of consequence. I could imagine that same weakness in enforcement extends its way up into the higher levels of their justice system.

Having gone back over as a tourist once (not to an all inclusive) I can say the experience was
a bit different. I spent a week in Ocho Rios and the surrounding areas. We didn't experience any trouble or feel threatened during our entire stay. We stuck to the main strip when not out on excursions. In the resorts you're definitely sheltered from the 3rd word aspects of things, but walk a block away and you're in another world. As a missionary you feel more a part of the community, people recognized us and treated us very nice. It's easy to conclude how tourist would be viewed as a more inconsequential target.

I would love to go back without much fear.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mystic1906, I also spent 3 months in Cayman. I loved every minute of it. Also a big contrast in environment between Georgetown and Kingston... I would love to go back. I'd probably give it more priority as I have been back to Jamaica once but not Cayman.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@J-RAD When were you in Cayman? I've been gone from there since my second stint of college life in the US (MBA). I miss it every day mostly cause my dad and all of my family are there. I try to get home as often as I can to recharge, visit my family, and get food that I can't find here. I miss eating my uncle's conch chowder and my cousin's turtle stew.

I do concur that Cayman is vastly different from Jamaica. You have seen the good and the bad of Jamaica. I just think these articles should be more of teaching awareness while travelling than fearmongering about something that has less then .001% chance of happening. That was the whole point of my response to Nate and Sean. I would hate for them to miss out on the natural beauty of Jamaica. There are few places on this earth that have what Jamaica has in terms of the environment. I just went to Blue Lagoon for the first time on my last trip and I've been to Jamaica a bunch of times. It was amazing and a also a first for my wife who spent 18 years of her life there before moving to Cayman.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@J-RAD When were you in Cayman? I've been gone from there since my second stint of college life in the US (MBA). I miss it every day mostly cause my dad and all of my family are there. I try to get home as often as I can to recharge, visit my family, and get food that I can't find here. I miss eating my uncle's conch chowder and my cousin's turtle stew.

I do concur that Cayman is vastly different from Jamaica. You have seen the good and the bad of Jamaica. I just think these articles should be more of teaching awareness while travelling than fearmongering about something that has less then .001% chance of happening. That was the whole point of my response to Nate and Sean. I would hate for them to miss out on the natural beauty of Jamaica. There are few places on this earth that have what Jamaica has in terms of the environment. I just went to Blue Lagoon for the first time on my last trip and I've been to Jamaica a bunch of times. It was amazing and a also a first for my wife who spent 18 years of her life there before moving to Cayman.
I was there Sept-Dec way back in 2002... it's crazy to think it was that long ago...

I never did get to try a dish with turtle in it. I did visit the turtle farm though!

I totally agree, the circumstances described in the article were/are horrific! It's not something you would/should have to anticipate or fear while vacationing in paradise... I don't know that I would necessarily characterize it as being systemic. Tourist should research areas and be aware, but I think the need for fear is minimal.

I made the trip to Blue Lagoon while on my honeymoon in '05, gorgeous! I'd recommend Port Antonio to anybody!
  • Blue Lagoon
  • Frenchman's Cove
  • Trident Castle
  • Boston Jerk Center (best jerk chicken ever!!!)
I only spent 1 day there as a missionary and a few hours touring while honeymooning. I would love to have had more time to explore.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I know cayman is off subject.
But i been there too! My honeymoon 13 years ago(i think) and it was beautiful!
Lost my wedding ring snorkling in 20 foot of water. Got my first test. Saw a glass blowing place and we bought a nice vase that sits on her dresser and it is our reminder.
Awesome snorkling

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@J-RAD and @Mystic1906 I think you guys should re-read that article a little closer. Seems you may be a bit bias due to home town connection. I'm in no means a fear mongerer, but I read words in an article that aren't just by the reporter, but by the US State Department. Someone said they would not say it is "systemic".....I disagree. The US State Department uses the word "pervasive" . Keep in mind the data quoted in the article is on US women reported. What about all the other countries that visit that the State department is not including in their data?? It's ranked by 2 top travel sites as the 3rd most dangerous tourist destination. More alarming is the wolves are hiding in plain sight behind secure resort destinations. Think about that,.....1 morning the guy filling your orange juice glass is sizing up your daughter, then that night he's raping her right down the hall from your room. 'F' that dude. In 2016 18 US women were raped. That's 1.5 per month. You telling me that's normal and acceptable behavior for an island paradise???

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@J-RAD and @Mystic1906 I think you guys should re-read that article a little closer. Seems you may be a bit bias due to home town connection. I'm in no means a fear mongerer, but I read words in an article that aren't just by the reporter, but by the US State Department. Someone said they would not say it is "systemic".....I disagree. The US State Department uses the word "pervasive" . Keep in mind the data quoted in the article is on US women reported. What about all the other countries that visit that the State department is not including in their data?? It's ranked by 2 top travel sites as the 3rd most dangerous tourist destination. More alarming is the wolves are hiding in plain sight behind secure resort destinations. Think about that,.....1 morning the guy filling your orange juice glass is sizing up your daughter, then that night he's raping her right down the hall from your room. 'F' that dude. In 2016 18 US women were raped. That's 1.5 per month. You telling me that's normal and acceptable behavior for an island paradise???
You bring up some valid points and perhaps there is some bias at play. I did reread the article more closely and the figures and accounts are alarming. As stated in my previous post, it had been over a decade since my last visit... I know for one, Ocho Rios has exploded with tourism in that time...

I can tell you for certain I would be very apprehensive allowing my wife or daughter (if I had one) to wander around as a tourist on their own. When I was there the only female missionaries on the islands were native. I was surprised when I found out they'd started sending sisters from the U.S. a few years ago. I'm certain they have had to endure some harassment and solicitation... Hell, I was solicited several times just walking down the street. However, I've not heard of any assault cases.

All I can say is that it really is a shame that there are such dark souls in this world who would do such things. It really is a beautiful place with wonderful and proud people. I hope they can curb the trend and people can still enjoy a safe visit. I won't try to talk anyone in or out of going... they should know of the risks. But it is a place worthy of a visit.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@J-RAD and @Mystic1906 'F' that dude. In 2016 18 US women were raped. That's 1.5 per month. You telling me that's normal and acceptable behavior for an island paradise???
That is was reported. We have been going to couples resorts all ocho rios , except one and that was negril in July.

This gives me second thoughts if we go back next year. This last trip had a couple of firsts. I say pot being sold in the open right next to resort security and fedaral police. On the tour bus ride to and from the mo bay airport to negril. We had to go through a security stop looking for pot.

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We go every year to Montego Bay and always feel safe but I also keep my guard. Going to Mexico next month, fingers crossed staying at Marina El Cid.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What happened to those girls and others is awful. There are dangers all around us. Awareness of the dangers and risk is the first part of risk management. Tourists are exploited everwhere and sometimes uniquely to a certain location. Sure you can buy weed at many tourist destinations right next to a cop. That cop might decide to give an option of donating to the police fund or a trip to the station. He may be getting a kick back from the seller. No I am not bashing on cops as we have some great ones that are memebers here. Locals will take care of locals way before an outsider. The risks at all inclusives like the subject of this thread are disturbing. You want to relax on vacation. That said there are simple ways of greatly reducing your risk when traveling.

Thanks to @BigN8 for posting this as it helps with awareness. It won’t stop me from traveling there but I will have greater awareness of the risks and adjust accordingly.