• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet intake vacuum while flushing.

Jacob hahn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anybody know if the jet intakes under the boat sucks in air while flushing the engines after use.
I would imagine so.
The reason I ask is that I really like the FabDock for dry docking my 242.
It's the "condom" type docking system that you sail into and then it empties the water inside the borders to keep the boat dry.
My question is. When you flush the engines after use, would this cover the intake under the boat and damage/block necessary air for the intake.
Does anybody use this docking system?
Thanks.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, I would think that might be a problem with the intakes. Here's a video that might help you see what happens when things get close to the intakes:

Thanks @JetBoatPilot for the video. :)

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sorry, missed the part where you talked about this during a flush...

I don't think you would get as much suction during a flush (vs running it in the water), but the impellers are spinning, so there would be some there. I would guess that this dock sleeve thing would be tight against the hull (and the intakes), so it would still be an issue, like putting plastic wrap over the end of a vacuum hose.

Jacob hahn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. The sleeve underneath the boat would be tight against the hull and be a problem for the intake. I like the docking system, (it never rains where I live) but would be a no-go if you can't flush.
Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think this would only be a problem if your dock was in the water. I have an Airdock and can run my boat sitting on it. Air doesn't get "fanned" by the impellers like water does, so it doesn't produce suction. But if this Fab Dock still allows water to be inside the intakes, then you will get not only SOME suction, but cavitation too...

Jacob hahn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How do you like the Airdock? Is it reliable/durable and would it fit an L-shaped berth?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It shouldn't be a problem as the water intakes are in the jet housing so they themselves would not be blocked. The impeller housing isn't an air tight seal around the impellers so even if the bottom intakes are blocked it's not going to create a huge air vacuum. I just wouldn't rev up then engines they will flush fine at idle.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok forget my last post, I just looked up the fabdock and I think those are a definite no go for jet boats. Kinda lick a big inflatable rubber lift raft. That would be a problem. Go with a jet dock, they are made for these boats.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How do you like the Airdock? Is it reliable/durable and would it fit an L-shaped berth?
It would depend on the shape and layout of the dock. I like my Air dock alot for the price. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought a Sunstream V-Lift, but at nearly 3 times the price I couldn't justify it. See the link in my profile for more information.

Jacob hahn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for your replies