• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot's New Surf Tech, Thrust Vector Wake

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Imo that's least important because if they are on the tube they should expect to get wet. We were using a 2person yamaha sit up right tube all last year never had huge issue for water spray.

Idk how long rope was it was made for rubbing though so would guess 60ft
Tubed last friday on 62 degree water! Would not had mind less spray haha

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
We've never had any problem with spray when tubbing behind our 212x since we made up a longer tubbing rope. We tube from the tower (I know, save the rant) and a 75' rope from the tower puts them just outside the spray range even when belly tubbing. Not saying it isn't a nice side affect of the TVW but personally wouldn't buy it just for that purpose.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Imo that's least important because if they are on the tube they should expect to get wet. We were using a 2person yamaha sit up right tube all last year never had huge issue for water spray.

Idk how long rope was it was made for rubbing though so would guess 60ft
It really just depends on your useage, we, like @Mainah, like to really whip people around and slingshot, the spray has made us not want to do the thing we do the most. Once I catch up from the Bimini trip on my budget, these are #1 on my list.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It really just depends on your useage, we, like @Mainah, like to really whip people around and slingshot, the spray has made us not want to do the thing we do the most. Once I catch up from the Bimini trip on my budget, these are #1 on my list.
Oh my goal is to sling people off as fast as possible if they have ever ridden before and arent afraid. Also like to see how high they can fly.

I guess people get on expecting to get wet. Never had anyone complain about jet wash.

@JetBoatPilot any update from over weekend... more testing/tweeks?

John Morstad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We've never had any problem with spray when tubbing behind our 212x since we made up a longer tubbing rope. We tube from the tower (I know, save the rant) and a 75' rope from the tower puts them just outside the spray range even when belly tubbing. Not saying it isn't a nice side affect of the TVW but personally wouldn't buy it just for that purpose.
I thought it isn’t recommended to tube from the wake tower due to the increase resistance from a tube putting extra stress on the tower. Anyone else heard this?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought it isn’t recommended to tube from the wake tower due to the increase resistance from a tube putting extra stress on the tower. Anyone else heard this?
Please don't hijack this thread with that horrible conversation. Let's just agree that you didn't ask that question here since we have been having such an intelligent conversation. Feel free to start another thread so that everyone has the chance to flame you and we don't have to sift through the myriad of opinions here. I do say that with all due respect, it's a fair question, but gets rehashed at length at least twice a season.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@John Morstad you seem to be a newer member. This is one of those controversial topics. @MidnightRider did say "save the rant". Are you supposed to? No. Do some owners do it? Yes. I agree with the above comment, lets not derail this thread in that direction.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder what effect it has on spray though... you know tubing from... nm...

Its 83 here @JetBoatPilot must be shooting more quality video today.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder what effect it has on spray though... you know tubing from... nm...

Its 83 here @JetBoatPilot must be shooting more quality video today.
Picture perfect day here in GA. Too bad the weekend looks sucky. I agree jet spray is an issue with standard tube ropes when really getting on the throttle. I’ve had friends riding tube on stomach and couldn’t take the spray to the face.

John Morstad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Please don't hijack this thread with that horrible conversation. Let's just agree that you didn't ask that question here since we have been having such an intelligent conversation. Feel free to start another thread so that everyone has the chance to flame you and we don't have to sift through the myriad of opinions here. I do say that with all due respect, it's a fair question, but gets rehashed at length at least twice a season.
Give me a break I simply asked one question! I could understand your concern if there were a bunch of replies, but come on. There is a better way to re-direct. Just because I am not new, I just don't post that frequently.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Give me a break I simply asked one question! I could understand your concern if there were a bunch of replies, but come on. There is a better way to re-direct. Just because I am not new, I just don't post that frequently.
Some people just haven't learned how to be polite on the internet. And the only reason that multiple posts were created to your question was because of the way he treated it. To be polite and concise I will tell you that you are correct and you should not pull a tube from the tower. It creates more side Force especially compared to other water sports.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
tenor (2).gif
Back to the Future 3. Classic!

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Might have been a better way to reply but he isn’t wrong. There are more than one thread out there about this topic and it’s controversial at best. For every one person that says it will destroy your boat and kill you there is another that has done it their whole life without issue. So just comes down to if you want to believe the Yamaha lawyers - Yamaha’s own marketing material shows tubes being pulled from the tower for crying out loud. So this topic can and has gone off the rails many times in the past - hence my “save the rant” comment and the reaction you got. Suggest searching for the other threads for more in depth discussion - you’ll get both sides of the story. Now back to the OP topic of the TVW.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How can you possibly derail this thread, lol? started last December(?) with a product announcement. While we wait to see it, naturally there is speculation and sidetracking. All good.
Here is the Yamaha's own commercial with tube towing off the tower of a 2016 AR240.

Those towers are literally overbuilt for towing, I have had zero issues doing what Yamaha has shown us in their promotional materials, and while I generally hate tubes and try to encourage my kids to practice "skilled" sports, I have no reservations what-so-ever to tow a big tube off of my tower. See below:
(Incidentally, this video clip also makes it plain my kids do not seem to suffer much from any overspray...)

Back on topic of improving the wake - wakeboarding wake is weak (almost non-existant without serious amount of ballast - see below) behind our boats, there is a ton of room for improvement:

--

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How can you possibly derail this thread, lol? started last December(?) with a product announcement. While we wait to see it, naturally there is speculation and sidetracking. All good.
Here is the Yamaha's own commercial with tube towing off the tower of a 2016 AR240.
View attachment 91584

Those towers are literally overbuilt for towing, I have had zero issue doing what Yamaha has shown us in their comercial, and while I generally hate tubes and try to encourage my kids to practice "skilled" sports, I have no reservations what-so-ever to tow a big tube off of my tower. See below:
(Incidentally, this video clip also makes it plain my kids do not seem to suffer much from any overspray...)

Back on topic of improving the wake - wakeboarding wake is weak (almost non-existant without serious amount of ballast - see below) behind our boats, there is a ton of room for improvement:
View attachment 91585

--
Awesome drone footage. What speed where you going there? How long was that rope?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome drone footage. What speed where you going there? How long was that rope?
Thank you! Speed here would be about 18-20mph. This rope would be a standard old wakeboarding rope - 65ft plus 5-10ft extension minus the handle part - so somewhere around 70(?).

———-
Let me leave this here as a public service announcement:

Some of the most frequent and most serious tubing related injuries occur due to head to head contact between tubers.

For the boat’s health- practice soft starts and keep the rope taut at all times. Happy riding everyone.

Edit: and one more thing... (someone just reminded me of) very important to inflate the tube (bottom) very hard. We often finish using a hand pump. Makes a huge difference - your tower will thank you!

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damnit Swatski, and you had the best response to that question yet with actual photos from Yamaha!!

Sorry for killing your thread Will, we tried. Time to start a new Thrust Vector Wake thread, as this one is officially hijacked.