• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL Audio amp gurus

mlp2435

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Planning to run these speakers in my 250.

6 - M6-650X-S-GmTi-i
1 - M6-10IB-S-GmTi-i-4
2 - M6-880ETXv3-Sb-S-GmTi-i tower speakers

what JL amps would you recommend?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Planning to run these speakers in my 250.
6 - M6-650X-S-GmTi-i
1 - M6-10IB-S-GmTi-i-4
2 - M6-880ETXv3-Sb-S-GmTi-i tower speakers
:Welcome:
Depends on your goals, but if you want it loud, you'll want at least 75w into the 6x650's and 150w into the sub, then 150w into the towers.

How about the M800 amp to drive the 6 speakers, and bridge the last channels for the sub = 75wx6 + 200w sub. M400 bridged for the towers at 200w each. Or M600 for the 6 speakers and another M600 bridged to drive the sub and towers at 200w each.

In both setups you would be able to wire it so you can fade the towers out if you don't need them, or fade the towers and swim platform out. Lots of options.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
:Welcome:
Depends on your goals, but if you want it loud, you'll want at least 75w into the 6x650's and 150w into the sub, then 150w into the towers.

How about the M800 amp to drive the 6 speakers, and bridge the last channels for the sub = 75wx6 + 200w sub. M400 bridged for the towers at 200w each. Or M600 for the 6 speakers and another M600 bridged to drive the sub and towers at 200w each.

In both setups you would be able to wire it so you can fade the towers out if you don't need them, or fade the towers and swim platform out. Lots of options.
Wouldn't you need an EQ to be able to fade them? If you use the stock HU fader for front and rear, you'd fade the sub in your 2nd option (two M600's)?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Wouldn't you need an EQ to be able to fade them? If you use the stock HU fader for front and rear, you'd fade the sub in your 2nd option (two M600's)?
A 250 should have three zones, Front/Rear/Sub.

Cabin Speakers to Front. Swim Deck and Towers to Rear, Sub to Sub.

@212s Recommendation is spot on, though I like power and headroom. I would probably go Wetsounds for the amps and drive 125 or 150 to speakers. Also for the price of the M880s I would go Horn-Loaded speakers, either WetSounds or Kicker. They will blow the socks off the 880s.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The amps can be configured for 2/4/6 channel so you can run the RCA's split across the inputs for front/rear - you would be able to fade just the towers and keep the sub pumping or if the head unit has limited control (not that familiar with the options with the new Ennovation units) you can wire the sub to the first amp and one set of 6's to the second amp.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
A 250 should have three zones, Front/Rear/Sub.
Cabin Speakers to Front. Swim Deck and Towers to Rear, Sub to Sub.
If that's available, then it makes it very easy to control them.
I like power and headroom. I would probably go Wetsounds for the amps and drive 125 or 150 to speakers.
The JL amps are very under-rated and will pump more than listed making them well suited to the M6 series speakers. Besides, pumping 75w or 150w is only a 3dB volume increase which is barely noticeable. Having the extra headroom for cranking it to max with clean sound might help. JL makes the MHD amps for that purpose.
Also for the price of the M880s I would go Horn-Loaded speakers, either WetSounds or Kicker. They will blow the socks off the 880s.
I wouldn't mix speaker brands, throws off the timbre. He could go all Wetsounds though. If volume is all that matters, then I'd recommend going Kicker for all the speakers. If great sound quality is the goal, stick with JL. Just my opinion.
:winkingthumbsup"

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
throws off the timbre.
One of the great audio myths lol.

While in theory it's only 3dB increase, the real world is much different. That extra power will allow the speaker to produce significantly stronger mid-bass (and ability play lower) through high volume sessions. (On top of being louder). Of course Horn Tower speakers will drown out everything in front of them. I personally do not find any quality drop off from M880s to the Kicker or WetSound towers. The extra cone area on the HLCDs adds even more bass, which to most people "sounds better".