• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jl Audio Tower Speakers, M880 vs M770's

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

I was finally able to take my AR240 out for the very first time since picking it up from the dealer in April. Went to Lake Havasu for Memorial day and it was bananas, no pics of the fun but wanted to share the few I snapped before I dropped it off at my summer storage.

I went with 8 JL MX650s on a M800/8, and 2 12w3's on a M100/1. I only have 6 of the 6.5s in as I'm waiting on to get my transom cushions modified to stick the last two pair in. Running two marine deep cycle batteries for the amps.

My question is about my plans for stage 2...Tower speakers...my last boat (2011 242 Limited S) had a nice system and some Skylon 8' HCLD towers that were nice, and I'm really missing that part more than I expected.

I knew I wanted towers but think I'm leaning towards the JL towers over some of the other HLCD mainly due to the sound quality, I don't like the brightness out of most of the horns I've heard so I'm looking at the JL towers and wanted to know if there was a big diff between 1 pair of M880s and 2 pair of M770s. I would likely power them with a separate amp if needed but want to get a fair amount of volume which ever I go. Having 2 pair would allow me to play 2 fwd and 2 rear.

Besides that I'm pretty happy with the sound, especially once I get the rear speakers installed.

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

I was finally able to take my AR240 out for the very first time since picking it up from the dealer in April. Went to Lake Havasu for Memorial day and it was bananas, no pics of the fun but wanted to share the few I snapped before I dropped it off at my summer storage.

I went with 8 JL MX650s on a M800/8, and 2 12w3's on a M100/1. I only have 6 of the 6.5s in as I'm waiting on to get my transom cushions modified to stick the last two pair in. Running two marine deep cycle batteries for the amps.

My question is about my plans for stage 2...Tower speakers...my last boat (2011 242 Limited S) had a nice system and some Skylon 8' HCLD towers that were nice, and I'm really missing that part more than I expected.

I knew I wanted towers but think I'm leaning towards the JL towers over some of the other HLCD mainly due to the sound quality, I don't like the brightness out of most of the horns I've heard so I'm looking at the JL towers and wanted to know if there was a big diff between 1 pair of M880s and 2 pair of M770s. I would likely power them with a separate amp if needed but want to get a fair amount of volume which ever I go. Having 2 pair would allow me to play 2 fwd and 2 rear.

Besides that I'm pretty happy with the sound, especially once I get the rear speakers installed.
I'm following!

I believe the JL 880 are actually not HLCD, which may be the key here, and I am very interested - I think that those could well be THE BEST tower speakers choice for near-distance, like surfing and hanging around the stern.

I don't know many people who have had them all, but one guy has - @lashburn1 ! Hope he will chime in.
He has advocated for JL 880s in several posts including this one.

Here is what he said, which I find very convincing (giving his envy-able track record, lol):

"6.5 nice and sound great,... if ...you are using with 10 or 12 Sub
for Towers.. 2 - JL 880s are better that 4- JL 770.... I have had both options....twice...880s
.... if you are a Hardcore WakeBoarder WETSOUNDS REV10 with throw far... boat do not sound as nice around the swim deck-surf distance."

--

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
The JL Audio M770, specifically in the 'T' version, may be the most accurate tower speaker because it is uses a true acoustic suspension midbass driver and is intended for a small pod displacement. But it cannot compare to the output of an M880. When used on the tower, the 770 deserves 150 to 200 watts per speaker (are rated at about 175 watts max.). For the M880s, I would run a little more.
Output of two pair M770s with 150 each versus one pair M880s with 250 each? A tough call. But there are other considerations.
I like and dislike certain tower speaker arrangements.
Four speakers should be on the same bar, whether all front or all rear.
If using four speakers in a horizontal array, they sound best with the outside speakers fanned out a few degrees.
Two larger speakers with maximum horizontal spread sound more coherent than a four speaker tower system if you cannot follow the above four-speaker guidelines.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was leaning to the M880s so this makes it an easier decision....

When I started out I had thought about using my current M800/8 to power the 6.5s and towers, but when I was on the water last weekend that amp was noticeably hotter than the sub amp so I doubt I'll go that route.

When I decided to add the towers I also wanted to add another pair of 6.5s in between the walkway like in this pic) plus the 880s, so I need a third amp to power it all.

Would a 600/6 power everything well, bridged 4 channels to give the 880s 200 x 2 and the last 2 channels can drive the 6.5s @ 75 x 2

That would give me 5 pair of 6.5s, M880s for towers, and 2 12w3s running off 3 amps...I should be happy with that setup.

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

You will love have those 6.5s back on the swim deck. I did mine last year with the JL 6.5.s and loved them but ended up swapping them for 7.7s. As far as the tower speakers go to 8.8s are amazing. You're a few guys down here in Central Florida running them they have to be probably the best in the market in my opinion The 7.7s sound great but if you got the money and the amp to push them i say the 8.8s are the way to go.
20170128_125219.jpg 20170428_111533.jpg

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Certainly with double 12"s there's a need to get as much coaxial midbass as possible inside the cockpit and bass quality is determined to a great degree by the sub-bass to mid-bass balance. I'm not much of a fan for placing speakers in the walkway. I have done it many times when there was no other option for mounting forward speakers in the cockpit. Malibu followed the aftermarket with pass-thru speakers more recently, but many boat owners have started to delete this location. Just not much return on investment given the compromises of the position.

Last edited:

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So its essentially not worth adding two more in the walkway, is there another location that would be a good option or is 8 6.5s sufficient to add the mid bass. That would determine the amp I get to power the towers.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
So its essentially not worth adding two more in the walkway, is there another location that would be a good option or is 8 6.5s sufficient to add the mid bass. That would determine the amp I get to power the towers.
Without being in the boat, I can't fully answer that question. But here are a few basics for consideration. Coaxials outside the cockpit (bathtub) make no contribution to the cockpit occupants and are strictly zone speakers....this would include bow and transom areas. The pass-thru is on the fringe of the cockpit, and while they may contribute a little, it's hardly worth the investment in speakers and amplifier. So the challenge is to get enough midbass surface area within the cockpit and preferably far forward in the cockpit. I'm sure that's a tall order. If it were possible, for the best solution, I would double-up tightly-grouped coaxial speakers in the forward cockpit, or run larger coaxial speakers in the forward cockpit (770 or 880) and give those larger or greater numbers of forward cockpit speakers much greater power. I know, most likely wishful thinking.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was actually thinking of doubling up the 6.5s in the front of the cabin, the sucky part is their closer to the feet than the ears, would that add enough extra midbass to warrant the cost of the speakers and say 100 extra for the required amp?

I suspect adding the 880 towers would provide the cabin with the output Im searching for, but only want to buy a 3rd amp once so its either 400/4 and no additional 6.5s, or the 600/6 leaving room for another pair, plus the 880 towers getting 200x2 @ 4ohms.

Also any idea why the M800/8 amp is running hot, my 1000/1 is warm running the , but the 800/8 is noticeably hotter, but only running 6 of the eight channels, still havent been able to get transom cushion modified to put in the 6.5s in the rear.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length