• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL Audio upgrades finally Done

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So it's about 55 degrees here in Central Florida too cold even take the boat out here. Had some much overdue stereo upgrades that needed to get done today was a perfect day. I swapped out by 6.5 JL Audio in the swim platform for the JL Audio 7.7 and move the 6.5 into the cockpit of the boat. Also went ahead and installed my other 10 inch JL Audio subwoofer in box. Now all I'm waiting on is my 6 channel amp to get here and I should have that installed my next weekend. I have some close supervision from my wife and @wallacerb. Overall not too bad of an install a little nerve-wracking taking a Dremel to your boat. I did not have the heart to try to mount those 6.5 swear I've seen some other people Mount them right above the cup holders on the sides. Also had some time to put the name on the boat. So that brings the grand total up to 6 JL Audio 6.5, two JL Audio 7.7, 2 JL Audio 10 inch subs and to 600 watt 6 channel amps. 20170128_110801.jpg 20170128_113215.jpg 20170128_114140.jpg 20170128_125219.jpg 20170128_132837.jpg 20170128_141120.jpg 20170128_145532.jpg 20170128_145537.jpg 20170128_145542.jpg

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice! How much better does that sub sound in box verses mounted free air?

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice! How much better does that sub sound in box verses mounted free air?
Much better. It has alot more punch to it. I think most of the Yamaha dealers put them in the side. The box came off amazon. It has a bed liner covering it.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So quick update on the system upgrade. I cut in another speaker grill for the second JL 10. Got all the wires ran. While the boat was in the drive waythe UPS guy showed up with my other 6 Channel JL Audio amp. Thurs me and @wallacerb have our audio guy come to wire everything and get it tuned up. And yes thats me with my 6'4 ass squeeze in behind the driver seat. 20170204_123109.jpg 20170204_130431.jpg 20170204_140032.jpg 20170204_141415.jpg 20170204_153251.jpg 20170204_153304.jpg

Sarconen10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
How did cutting the hole in the port side storage for your sub go. In the picture it looks like the fiberglass is thicker towards the bottom and forward side of the hole. Is there a steel reinforcing plate in that wall or is it all fiberglass. That's where I want to put my sub too. I personally think it's the best place because I never put anything in the battery compartment and I don't like the idea of having the sub on the starboard side because people are in and out of that side for the cooler all day.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did cutting the hole in the port side storage for your sub go. In the picture it looks like the fiberglass is thicker towards the bottom and forward side of the hole. Is there a steel reinforcing plate in that wall or is it all fiberglass. That's where I want to put my sub too. I personally think it's the best place because I never put anything in the battery compartment and I don't like the idea of having the sub on the starboard side because people are in and out of that side for the cooler all day.
You are correct about it getting thicker at the bottom. Not sure why but it was 9 or 10 layers thick. Burnt up 4 blades getting it cut. Ill have a 10" on that side as well as the other where the cooler gos. My guy is coming tomorrow to hook up the 2nd Jl amp so i cant wait to see how it will sound.

Sarconen10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
But it was all fiberglass correct. No steel sandwiched in between there. Just want to be sure before I start cutting. So are you just using the hole for a vent and you have both your subs in a box on each side? Did you try them mounted as a infinite baffle and didn't like the way they sounded so you put them in a box?

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
But it was all fiberglass correct. No steel sandwiched in between there. Just want to be sure before I start cutting. So are you just using the hole for a vent and you have both your subs in a box on each side? Did you try them mounted as a infinite baffle and didn't like the way they sounded so you put them in a box?
There was no metal in there. Just thick as hell. Yes i just using the grill as vent and a little looks. The box makes its hit harder and sound much deeper. It also keeps it out of the way of the water when i spray the boat out.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So just a quick update on the system upgrades. Had my guy come out today to wire up my second JL Audio amp and tune it. Boy oh boy the JL Audio 7.7 ,another 600 watt amp, another JL Audio 10 inch subwoofer and moving another set of 6.5 into the boat wow. Crystal clear with an amazing amout of bass.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Drift Away That looks awesome!
Did you get custom transom cushions or modified the factory to make those shorter? Mine are way longer, I could barely fit a 6.5 in this spot:
upload_2017-2-9_17-4-10.png

--

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Drift Away That looks awesome!
Did you get custom transom cushions or modified the factory to make those shorter? Mine are way longer, I could barely fit a 6.5 in this spot:
View attachment 50970

--
I took them to a shop here in tarpon spring FL and had them cut about 6" off of it. I was going to have them dish it out like the E Series but said what the hell it looks just as good and cost only $80 for the set. I will say the 7.7 are the best speakers on the market today. Hands down no competition. You can have all polks and wet sounds they will not hold a candle to these and they're still reasonably priced around $300 a pair. For anyone near or around central Florida who needs a stereo upgrade I posted a picture of the who did mine. His name is Mike his company is Central Gulf Coast Marine Service . Can't say enough good things about this guy awesome job fast, he comes to you and very affordable .20170209_134346.jpg 20170209_144926.jpg

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Drift Away
Weather has been pretty good in central so I also did some upgrades also
I added 2 6.5 mid cabin speakers.....
Put a sub volume control near driver cup holder
Added a fuse box with a cut off inline fuse at helm for new simrad plotter

Stereo setup, I have almost the same set up
2 jl audio amps, 1 10", 8 6.5, 2 jl tower speakers

I need to add a box for the sub

Attachments

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Drift Away
Weather has been pretty good in central so I also did some upgrades also
I added 2 6.5 mid cabin speakers.....
Put a sub volume control near driver cup holder
Added a fuse box with a cut off inline fuse at helm for new simrad plotter

Stereo setup, I have almost the same set up
2 jl audio amps, 1 10", 8 6.5, 2 jl tower speakers

I need to add a box for the sub
Very clean set up. For the money JL is the only way to go in my option. The sub box made my 10's sound so much better.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took them to a shop here in tarpon spring FL and had them cut about 6" off of it. I was going to have them dish it out like the E Series but said what the hell it looks just as good and cost only $80 for the set. I will say the 7.7 are the best speakers on the market today. Hands down no competition. You can have all polks and wet sounds they will not hold a candle to these and they're still reasonably priced around $300 a pair. For anyone near or around central Florida who needs a stereo upgrade I posted a picture of the who did mine. His name is Mike his company is Central Gulf Coast Marine Service . Can't say enough good things about this guy awesome job fast, he comes to you and very affordable .View attachment 50971 View attachment 50973
Those trimmed cushions/back supports look as good as factory if not better, very clean look!

--

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Drift Away What subs are you running? Did you have an IB sub before putting it in a box? If so, does one 10" mounted in a box sound better than it mounted free air?

Here is my current set up:
8 jl mx650's
m800 amp
m200 amp
1 JL m10ib5 sub

Waiting to be installed when I find time:

2 wetsounds Rev 10's tower speakers
800 watt wetsounds amp
wetsounds ws420 EQ

I love my system as is, but want more punch in the bass department. I am thinking of moving my sub to a box, and putting a grill over the hole like you did. Do you think it would make a noticeable difference? I may have to get a new sub as the IB sub would require a pretty big box.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Drift Away What subs are you running? Did you have an IB sub before putting it in a box? If so, does one 10" mounted in a box sound better than it mounted free air?

Here is my current set up:
8 jl mx650's
m800 amp
m200 amp
1 JL m10ib5 sub

Waiting to be installed when I find time:

2 wetsounds Rev 10's tower speakers
800 watt wetsounds amp
wetsounds ws420 EQ

I love my system as is, but want more punch in the bass department. I am thinking of moving my sub to a box, and putting a grill over the hole like you did. Do you think it would make a noticeable difference? I may have to get a new sub as the IB sub would require a pretty big box.
I am running the exact same JL Audio 10 inch subwoofers. The sealed box makes all the world of difference. The shop I bought the boat at just cut a hole in the side of the seat base and mounted it right there using the seat compartment where the cooler goes as the Box. I definitely was not happy with the amount of bass I was getting it sounded okay but definitely needed more. Changing over to a sealed box gave the sub much more punch and a hell of a lot more Bass. The box was fairly cheap on Amazon I think it's a q-bomb. It might have been 50 or $60 it has a nice Rhino Lining on it to keep it from getting wet. The problem with the infinite baffle subwoofers or marine-grade subwoofers at that most of the baskets on the back of the speaker are fiberglass or some other kind of plastic so you lose a lot of response in your base because the basket flexes by putting it in the Box it lets it hit about as hard as it's going to unless you switch to a car audio grade subwoofer. But then you run the risk of rust corrosion and all the other problems that come with having Electronics on a boat.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am running the exact same JL Audio 10 inch subwoofers. The sealed box makes all the world of difference. The shop I bought the boat at just cut a hole in the side of the seat base and mounted it right there using the seat compartment where the cooler goes as the Box. I definitely was not happy with the amount of bass I was getting it sounded okay but definitely needed more. Changing over to a sealed box gave the sub much more punch and a hell of a lot more Bass. The box was fairly cheap on Amazon I think it's a q-bomb. It might have been 50 or $60 it has a nice Rhino Lining on it to keep it from getting wet. The problem with the infinite baffle subwoofers or marine-grade subwoofers at that most of the baskets on the back of the speaker are fiberglass or some other kind of plastic so you lose a lot of response in your base because the basket flexes by putting it in the Box it lets it hit about as hard as it's going to unless you switch to a car audio grade subwoofer. But then you run the risk of rust corrosion and all the other problems that come with having Electronics on a boat.
Ok thanks. I may order a box and just give it a try. For some reason I thought the IB sub wouldn't work in an enclosure, and I would have to get a different sub. For $50 it's worth a try.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Came up with a solution for our free air subs
I built a small box and attached it to back side of the speaker
What a difference! Deeper base for sure!
IMG_1027.JPG IMG_1029.JPG

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Interesting. Do you mind sharing dimensions? Also, is side that attaches to back of speaker completely open? Or did you cut a hole in that side to go around speaker? It's weird because I've noticed when that compartment is full of lifevest or whatever the speaker doesn't sound as good. It sounds better when compartment is empty.