• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just wanted to say Hi even if I do not have a boat yet

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey everyone my name is Andy and I live in Port St. Lucie, FL area. My wife and I got our first JetSki this year a 2016 Yamaha FXHO. After having the JetSki and wanting to get more out on the water and ocean I started looking at jet boats for the cost, fun and sizes. We mainly just tube and free dive spearfish so ocean going is a must. Just trying to get a feel for the thoughts on ocean use, and overall opinions. I have searched and lurked for a while just wanted to say Hi finally, and if anyone wants to take some tag alongs on a weekend my wife and I would love that. I'm looking at either 21-24' size as well

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
24' is a must if you plan on going in Gulf above 2' waves and maintain some comfort. Welcome aboard!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! My name is Andy and I wish I lived in Florida.

Glad you found us!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For the past five years or so a group of Yamahas has traveled from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini. My family has participated in the last two trips totaling 17 days in the water in your areA. Prior to that we spent a similar amount of time in the Gulf around Biloxi and Gulfport.

I find that our 23' Yamaha SX230 handles the rough water very well. I believe that the 230 and 212 series hulls up to 2009 handle rough water better than the 2010 to 2014 240 series.

There is a practical limitation to what any boat of our small size can handle but in 2015 we crossed to Bimini with a forecast of 1.4' waves at 4 second intervals and found 4' to 6' waves amongst the smaller waves. All of our boats took a beating but I only took water over the bow once during that crossing and only enough to get my toes wet. Several other members including @andy07sx230ho, @justason and @upperdeck experienced even bigger water on their 2013 crossing.

I have added trim tabs and believe that they help with waves up to perhaps 3'. I did not trim beyond 40% this year on the Bimini crossing as I wanted to keep the bow above the waves.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! If you plan to do offshore I would stick with the 23 or 24 ft boats. On last years Bimini trip I mentioned to @Bruce the same thing he just said as a by stander on a jet ski on the crossing it seemed the 23 ft boats had a little less nose dive going on then the 24ft boats. Both of the boats that had issues this year were the 21ft models and took water over the bow. The 19ft models made it but struggled to keep pace with the rest of the group due to the beating they were taking. I have taken my 2010 24ft boat offshore a twice now with no issues both times where in 3ft seas and never did I feel uncomfortable only time I was a little nervous was I had 8 people on board and there where people sitting in the bow so I didn't stay out long but if everyone would have been behind the windshield I would have been fine with it. The funny part of that was when I turned around and was coming back in after only a few minutes offshore the people in the bow where asking why I was turning around as apparently they were having a blast up there but it made me a little uncomfortable as i knew I was responsible for them.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks Bruce, I understand the limitations and don't plan on being out in blue water in 4' plus waves but winter conditions here can be rough, I can only really go on weekends and calmer days as well. I'm just looking for a boat to do some coastal free diving and spearfishing plus be fun at the sandbar and make the Bimini trip in as well. I am trying to learn more and maybe looked at used, I just get worry with saltwater used boats as a lot of people don't care for them well and I don't want to get into a problem boat. I am learning more and more about these boats everyday here. I wish they had a higher fuel capacity though, what do y'all get for either milage and run time in a normal day from cruising around and stuff either hours or mileage? Are the older boats on par with newer specs?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having made the Bimini trip twice I burned 38 gallons on the way there this year with my family of four, two weeks of food, 40 pounds of ham and lots of supplies on board. I burned low 30s in better water in 2014. Both years I burned around 25 gallons on the return trip.

I also wish the fuel tank was larger.

The 23' and 24' Yamahas are approximately rated for 3.5mpg around 30 mph. Boattest.com has precise consumption data for each model. But those tests are on a lake with perhaps two people on board.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce thank you so much for all the info and warm welcome I have read a lot of your posts and learned a lot so far, I think either a 23' or 24' will be great and let me get off shore some and back safely and fun for what I'm looking to do.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @2nazt glad you found us and decided to join. Hopefully somebody will be able to take you guys out to get more familiar with the Yamaha boat lineup. Also, you might happen to have a member close by that could help with a pre purchase inspection. Good luck with your boat hunting.

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey everyone my name is Andy and I live in Port St. Lucie, FL area. My wife and I got our first JetSki this year a 2016 Yamaha FXHO. After having the JetSki and wanting to get more out on the water and ocean I started looking at jet boats for the cost, fun and sizes. We mainly just tube and free dive spearfish so ocean going is a must. Just trying to get a feel for the thoughts on ocean use, and overall opinions. I have searched and lurked for a while just wanted to say Hi finally, and if anyone wants to take some tag alongs on a weekend my wife and I would love that. I'm looking at either 21-24' size as well
Welcome aboard, No worries I joined here to before I purchased my boat. I agree that a 24' is the way to go, now you just need to figure your uses, but from what you stated I would choose the 2015 242 Limited S, or maybe I'm just being biased...ha ha ha!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have a new to us 08 ar230. New is nice but we love our boat and the price was great! I'll look at a new 15+ ar240 when we upgrade later or maybe a chap 243