• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel Guard starting to come off, looking for ideas

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After 10 years of reliable KeelGuard protection, I noticed mine starting to come off. What do y'all think is a good adhesive that I can stick in here to hold this back up? If it were the start or the end falling off, this might be easier. But the ends are holding tight, only a section in the middle is coming loose. I'm hoping to get something in there to re-glue the part that's coming loose and not pull and re-do the whole thing.

Ideas? (The black markings are not hull damage, its what's left of the original adhesive tape that let loose)

IMG_0024.JPG

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd call Keelgaurd and ask them! I don't recall the warranty, but you never know what a company will offer....I've had companies offer to replace items out of warranty before, and I've had companies (last week) tell me that in order to claim a repair under warranty I had to have the ORIGINAL receipt from the store, not a reprint - in this case I'd bought it from Amazon and they wouldnt take a print out from my "orders" page!!!!

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
3 M weather strip adhesive works good for a bunch of stuff.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Dan, I figured you'd be the guy to know about adhesives. Is that a tape or a liquid/gel?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would definitely send them pics and see if they would honor the warranty (if there is an unlimited warranty). I would also think that it may be worthwhile to pull it all off and reinstall at this point.
I am pretty sure that KeelShield would send you a new one no questions asked - just based on your picture, and my dealings with them in the past. Don't know about KeelGuard but wouldn't hurt to try.

--

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It's a liquid. Most part stores have it.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine started doing the same thing about 3 years ago. I used black silicone I bought from Walmart. It's the tube (like toothpaste tube) and I think it was the GE brand. It was in the automotive section. I cleaned up the old stuff as best I could and put the silicone in there. Haven't had an issue since. It's still holding on like new.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed my keel guard has started coming off under my boat. The last 1' or so is hanging off the boat. I called KeelGuard and they recommended i use West Systems Six10 epoxy or I can file a claim. Im going to try the Six10 epoxy first as I do not feel like ripping off the entire keel guard...

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the west systems fails at some point, its could suck to remove it. I would file a claim. Anyway.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the west systems fails at some point, its could suck to remove it. I would file a claim. Anyway.
After reading up on the West systems epoxy, I agree with your sentiments.

Just my luck this happens to me. I always seem to take 1 step forward and 2 shoes back.

Oh well.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the keelguard come detached at the rear on my ski.( mostly from a halfassed install on my part)
After removing and reinstalling a new on with better preparation it was 100%
I also took 3m 5200 and sealed the perimeter so no water could get forced under it

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I did a decent prep job and I even had my pop in law help me with the install.

After you removed the old one, was it hard to remove the old epoxy? Or I should ask if there was remnets left over on your ski that had to be removed?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes the better your prep and install the harder to remove the 3m tape adhesive .
I used a heat gun to soften it with a plastic scraper. Then i cut the remnants with mineral spirits and a scotch bright

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think 5200 would work but recommend that you replace the current keel guard with a new one. They have a lifetime warranty and replaced one of mine recently for no cost to me after reviewing the pics I sent them of the damaged keel guard.

You may save time by fixing what you have but as @Neutron stated if the patch material fails it may take a lot of effort to remove it and the residual parts or adhesive from the current keel guard. If you go the replacement route and do it well you should only have to do it once the repair route could be setting you up for two or more rounds of prep.

sledpepper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Call keel guard. This happened to mine and they sent me a new one. They do require the original receipt (thank goodness for Amazon order history). The old one comes off pretty easily with a heat gun. Keel guard never admitted to me they had defect issues or this is just what happens. All I know is I didn’t have to buy a replacement.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The lady I spoke with didn't require a receipt of any kind from me. Just a few pics.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Call Keelguard, was going to replace mine so I called for removal hints. Without me even asking they offered to warranty it and after a couple of pics sent a new one no questions asked. This is after the old one had been on since 03. Even double checked with me as to length because they noticed mine was coming loose at tail edge and said that will sometime happens if guard is too short