• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keys trip - near disaster, but good anyway

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just got back two night ago from our week in the Keys. It got cut short a couple days due to a funeral we had to attend, which pretty much meant I towed the boat all over the state that week (Jacksonville to Miami to Marathon Key to Sarasota and back to Jacksonville).

First day, we drop her in the marina and go out for a short cruise. I went under the 7 mile bridge headed for Sombrero Reef, but it got a bit choppier than we were comfortable with, so we turned back and headed to East Bahia Honda Key instead. The entire time we noticed a TON of floating sea grass everywhere. I sucked up a lot and eventually the vibes started so I stopped to clean the impellers. I pulled out gobs of the stuff and decided to do some snorkeling to see how much was in the intakes. They were completely clogged. Imagine a rag mop stuffed in both intakes. :S I cleaned that out and headed straight back to Marathon. We made it 90% of the way back before she started slowing again.

I limped her back to the slip and tied her up with enough slack for tides.

Went diving again and pulled out just as much of the stuff. Hoped we wouldn't be dealing with it all week. Noticed the bilge running, but seemed to be a reasonable amount, so I just plugged in the charger and left her. Checked back in a few hours and all seemed okay, although an itch in my mind said the pump was still running a bit more than I would have liked. Still, it was cutting off and it wasn't running constant.

The next morning, I checked her again and the pump was running constantly. I suspected there was a lot more water in the hull, but it was in the fore portion, so me and my brother-in-law sat on the swim platform to get the water to shift back. About 10 minutes later the pump still hadn't kicked off, so I checked the engine compartment. Water up to the bottom of the engines! I start looking for options (leaks) and find none of note. I check again and it's almost to the wall carpets. Time for drastic measures... I'm afraid to start her with that much water in the compartment, so I hustle the trailer onto the ramp and me and the bro-in-law throw on life jackets and swim her across the marina to the ramp. I get her on the trailer and lifted out just enough to clear the drain plug. Water is coming out of the scupper, but there's none on the deck to drain into it. I poke the scupper and the whole assembly goes into the bilge and water starts gushing. The flange on the outside of the scupper had broken off completely!
I let her drain and pulled her out. She got a hose down, an emergency call out for a replacement scupper (thanks for those who offered) and we decide to just leave her on the trailer for the rest of the short week.

That's the tale of woe for the boat... in spite of that, it turned out to be a great trip. More on that later, I've droned on enough. I think I got it out in time and there's no additional issues I can find so far, but I have a lot of cleaning to do.

BTW... I checked the scupper a few weeks ago and again immediately before the trip... seemed rock solid both times. Moral to the story... if you have a sub-surface scupper from Yamaha, replace it. It's old enough that it's probably degraded even if it wasn't cracked when it was installed. We were a couple of hours short of a destroyed boat because of a $50 part. Don't risk it if you haven't done it already. I know, I know... I thought mine was fine too. :grumpy:

I'll post pics of everything (including the weed carpet stuck to the bottom of the boat) later.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you caught it in time. I never noticed mine leaking but it came apart in my hand when I tried to remove it's nut.

Is the replacement plastic or stainless?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just ordered a stainless replacement. There are apparently a couple of Attwood's that work. Ordered the one everyone else has gotten so far, Attwood 66553-3. All the measurements on everyone's site (including Attwoods) are all over the place. I'll measure that one for flange, thread and depth when I get it before it gets installed. There may be others that fit, but all the posts I've seen list that one so far.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
which boats have a sub surface scupper or do they all and why do they? Just currious I don't recall any of my prop boats having a sub surface scupper.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
which boats have a sub surface scupper or do they all and why do they? Just currious I don't recall any of my prop boats having a sub surface scupper.
you're all set @robert843. I don't think the problem goes beyond the 2009 year.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you're all set @robert843. I don't think the problem goes beyond the 2009 year.
Correct. 2010+ boats have their scuppers above the waterline (at least the 240 series do).

I did my scupper change this spring. The original seems fine but that seems to be the story right up until they fail.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good all worked out OK for you, scupper gate strikes again. What a massive design flaw, to have a deck drain into a below waterline scupper, message to any pre 2010 boat owners must be to get it changed to avoid spoiling a boating trip.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sat on a scupper wrench all of last winter and never got the project done. Maybe this winter...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Owch. Yer not supposed to sit on it...

Glad no permanent damage for the OP. Mel might need to send that puppy on...

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You'll feel much better with Stainless Steel! I did a preemptive replacement on mine and it's good peace of mind; ESPECIALLY on big water (which I avoid anyway mostly, but..)

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad it all worked out OK. I was just in the keys myself and we jet skied around all the weeds in the water (didn't haul the boat there). Was there not a way to avoid the weeds? We thought about going back with the boat but were worried about the weeds too.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The weeds were pretty gruesome... I thought I had a really nice shot fo the bottom of the boat from one of our GoPro's on the first stop for cleaning out, but I can't find it. It literally looked like someone had covered the entire bottom of the boat with pine needles... The both intakes were entirely filled with the floating grass. There was no way to avoid it on the bay side. Ocean side probably would have been okay.

Eventually our dockmaster got a pitchfork out to clear the ramp... it was probably about 2 feet thick on the ramp due to tides washing it in constantly. We could have probably managed, but we would have been fighting it all week. I'm pretty glad we just decided to call it and leave the boat on the trailer... wouldn't have gone diving if we hadn't. :)

BTW... after getting the new scupper in person, it looks like there are two Attwood models that are a near perfect replacement... The 66553-1/66553-3 are both a total of 5 1/2" long. The 66557-1 is exactly the same but only 4 1/2" long. So you can save an inch of threading with the shorter model if you can find one. Both will still be longer than the stock. I'll post this up on the scupper thread as well just for reference.