• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Mead

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone been watching any if the videos of this lately?

I stumbled on a guy that has been boating around the lake as it dries up and its like, morbidly enthralling. What got me first was seeing the boat ramp. They've extended it by hundreds of years, and have signs along it showing the water level at various years (recent too - water is dropping so fast now they're gonna have to do it by month probably).

They keep finding barrels with bodies and sunken boats and stuff. Some of it is just, haunting, seeing these sunken boats that were in 10s of feet of water when they sunk now being well on dry land.

It's pretty nuts, and worth a watch if you've got some time. I was watching a guy called sin city fishing or something like that.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, I've seen some of these youtube videos. It is very sad.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen a couple of videos, any good links?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Business as usual out here in the west. Just crossing our fingers and hoping for rain.

I heard my city might implement “suggested” landscape watering limits soon.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Business as usual out here in the west. Just crossing our fingers and hoping for rain.

I heard my city might implement “suggested” landscape watering limits soon.
I've heard CA wants to take water from the Mississippi. Not sure how true it is but that would probably start some sort of civil war. The midwest doesn't play lol.

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've heard CA wants to take water from the Mississippi. Not sure how true it is but that would probably start some sort of civil war. The midwest doesn't play lol.
Piping water from the Great Lakes to the south/west has been a topic for years now. It becomes an international issue though which is why I think it's stayed fairly limited.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly, looking at water in CA is crazy. Northern CA has water restrictions because their water is being funneled south to farm almonds. The rest of the west is being drained of water to prop up CA. It's mind boggling to me that a state that routinely brags about its economy can't afford to make desalination at a large scale work.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Honestly, looking at water in CA is crazy. Northern CA has water restrictions because their water is being funneled south to farm almonds. The rest of the west is being drained of water to prop up CA. It's mind boggling to me that a state that routinely brags about its economy can't afford to make desalination at a large scale work.
I’m not a California advocate by any means, but “prop up CA” means to provide water so they can grow a lot of food for the rest of us that don’t.
Desalinated water for crops? Do you want to pay $10 for an avocado?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m not a California advocate by any means, but “prop up CA” means to provide water so they can grow a lot of food for the rest of us that don’t.
Desalinated water for crops? Do you want to pay $10 for an avocado?
I could care less what avocados coat, I don't like them, lol.

But that's sort of my point. This is a state that LOVES to brag about its strong economy, but yet it doesn't have the money to support its needs for water. Where's all those super smart Stanford grads to figure out how to use the limitless body of water next to them for cheap? Where's all those entrepreneurs geniuses?

The idea of pumping water from the Mississippi all the way to CA is neither intelligent, inexpensive, nor "equitable". Bottom line, water is going to be one of, if not the most importsnt material or commodity of the 21st century. Areas with water will be rich and prosper, and areas without it will become poor and needy. Allowing an areas water to be pumped out and exploited is massively short sighted.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have had several lakes in NCal dry up to the point that boats had to be pulled in July or the lake just didn’t open to boating or swimming the following season. There have been some bodies and lots of cars found but often times the drought and receding waters revealed towns that were intentionally flooded when the lake was created. Lake folsom near Sacramento and lake Berryessa near Napa have old towns under /in them. When folsom dried up people with metal detectors came in and were promptly told to stop, folsom is managed by the feds and the fede don’t allow people to scavenge from its lands/lands it manages. That’s what was reported anyway. The ticket if you got one equated to a fine of several hundred or thousands of dollars.

as far as ca water problems a simple online search Should show that it’s not a simple problem subject to a simple solution. Throwing a bunch of scientists at it won’t be enough, the land owners and end users like farmers need to mutually agree to any possible solutions and any solution must be lawful.

Avocados are just one crop which is grown primarily in CA for the the entire country. Check out the attached screenshot. I’m not saying ca isn’t screwed up where water management is concerned, it is, NCal has been fighting to keep water from being sent to Scal for years but if ca can’t grow crops or as many as they used to prepandrmic or are demanded the prices for those crops will increase all over the country so it’s not just a CA problem. A few years ago 20/20 I think did a story on the impacts of a drought and a big time farmer said something I didn’t realize at the time but now will never forget, “America runs on corn”.

Attachments

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, it's definitely not a simple solution, but the reality of it is, despite the land being fertile and having a favorable climate, without water supplies there it's not a good place to rely on for that much farming. Good news is the US has massive amounts of fertile land that is close to water we can farm on. Sucks for CA farmers, nut better for the country as a whole.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Part of the CA water issue seems to be farming crops on land that take a lot of water. Almonds are one example. I've read it takes about 5 gallons of water to produce one almond. CA produces 80% of the world's almonds, 70% of what they produce are exported.

Jim

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just makes me think of the Eagles song, Last Resort. Such a beautiful geography and plenty of sunshine with very little humidity. But they called it Paradise....

"Some rich men came and raped the land
Nobody caught 'em
Put up a bunch of ugly boxes
And Jesus people bought 'em
They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise
Kiss it goodbye"

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
It is complex. We had a system that was supposed to help but we have to release water that we “save” because of the environmental impact it has so we can’t really store excess water anymore.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. I've been watching 3 different people posting videos on this on YouTube. It's getting so close to dead pool and the hoover dam having to quit making electricity it's hypnotizing. Especially yesterday when they had an explosion. I figured it was from air entering the generator as the turbines not being able to take any cavitation. But later reported its was a transformer if you can believe the news. Seems a lot of info on lake conditions/dam information is not forth coming from officials.

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other