• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Of The Woods Ontario Canada....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When we used to live in the Chicago area, we'd go up to LOW (Lake of the Woods) north of International Falls for 2 weeks each summer. The lake is huge....15,000 islands and 65,000 miles of shoreline (no I didn't count or measure those....that is their literature). But without GPS you could easily get lost!

This is a photo taken in front of the house we'd rent every summer.

normal_IMG_5709.jpg

The same spot taken at sunset.....

sunset.jpg

I liked the place so much I threw together a quick website for the owner (who has 3 houses there he rents)....so if you live up that way and LOVE fishing.....this is a great spot!

http://www.muskiebaycamp.com/index.htm

This is the only place I've ever gone fishing where I caught a fish on the first cast (a nice size Northern Pike)

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is nothing short of spectacular up there. Northern Minnesota and southern Canada around there is pretty amazing. IF you can get past the mosquitos the size of hummingbirds...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have yet to go boating anywhere in the US where mosquitoes aren't a problem? Perhaps Powell? Here is a quick map of where we hang around tubing and such near Sioux Narrows....we go fishing 5-10 miles west in some of the more remote areas

Sioux Narrows.png

We'd make the runs in red after dark quite often...and there is no way I'd attempt that last channel between the island near the "Rental Cabin" marker on the map without GPS at night! Tried it once in pitch black with no moon and never again.

Here is a map of the whole of Lake of the Woods to give the above map some perseptive (the little red square is the map above):
Lake of the Woods.png

At the top of the map you can see Kenora. In the winter they make (and Plow) an Ice Road from Sioux Narrows to Kenora as its faster to go over the lake to Kenora than take the roads! (So most of that lakes are connected). I'm just glad I don't live up there in the winter!!!!!

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cannot imagine why you would need a GPS..LOL!!!

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Couldn't agree more, just amazing up there!

It's been years since I have made that trip, but can't wait to plan another trip up. The last few times I rented a house boat for the week and just beached up on a random island for the night (or 2). Great lake, great fishing, and just awesome scenery...

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The amount of water up there is staggering. I've been going to the same spot on Manitou, north of Rainey Lake, for 20 years and still sometimes take a wrong turn on the lake trying to get from the landing to the cabin, a 25 mile boat run.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I usually go Ice Fishing for a weekend out of Zippel Bay Resort during the winter. Would be nice to get up there during the summer as it is beautiful country.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For those of you interested in staying at Muskiebaycamp....drop my name...he might discount your rate by 1-2 dollars! LOL In all seriousness, his cabins are really nice, and since he has a HUGE dock, you can take your boat and slip it no problem!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Growing up we would stay at Rushing River Provincial Park on Dogtooth Lake just North of Sioux Narrows.

What is amazing, is if you look at Google map, it's hard to imagine how Highway 71 crosses through MN and once you get past International Falls, it skips from land to land to work it's way North to the Kings Highway going into Kenora. I have no idea how it stays on dry ground.

We spent many weeks up there fishing walleyes and even coming back with my father's personal best of 12lb 6oz Walleye. The winter is just a beautiful. Riding sleds across LOW is a trek but with today's machines easily done. Of course avoiding ice ridges and open water.

After using GPS for the last decade or so, it's amazing how we ever found our way around those lakes just spotting islands and narrows between the rock piles. I went back after 20+ years only to find, rock islands do not move, and the routes come back to you real quick. We even towed two waverunners up one year to run the islands. It was pretty darn cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@biffdotorg We would take the kids to Rushing River to Kayak or Canoe every year!

Wonderful part of the world....nothing like going out fishing and hardly ever seeing another boat! Plus...no cell coverage is nice....really disconnected (or it used to be).

Walleye and Northern Fishing all day long! Caught a Northern on my first cast one year....that is my kind of fishing....CATCHING!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Something we figured out over the years were, if the Walleyes were not biting, the smallmouth probably were. Drifting over rock piles pitching crawlers and watching those fat footballs come rushing out from between the rocks!!

Best story I have had though, we could not seem to catch anything one day, Mayflies had hatched. So we dropped onto an island to find that the blueberries were ripe and the size of your thumbnail. So we started picking enough for muffins etc. Until the black bears started to take notice and came swimming from island to island picking berries as well. Needless to say, we left with only a half bucket of berries and some photos of a bear swimming rather quickly after us.

Good times!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How cold is the water? Similar to Lake Michigan? Superior?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unlike the Great Lakes or deep alpine lakes like Lake Tahoe that stay 45 degrees year around, Lake of the woods is very shallow and it's surface temp reflects the air temp easily. It freezes over annually and thaws in late May in some areas. The main part of the lake is like one big 35' deep bowl with very minimal structure. The Northern (Canadian) side is beautiful and loaded with pine covered islands. Complete opposites of each other North to South.

The dark rocks allow the ice to warm up and melt quickly around the islands. We did find our usual June walleye trip was very close to the walleye spawn as the ice had just gone out. That 12lb 6oz walleye was probably well over 15lbs not one week earlier, As 17lb females full of eggs had been caught in the province that year at that time. That made it interesting as a kid who wanted to go swimming with surface temps around 40 degrees.

During the heart of the summer, normal water temps were just like any other lake. 75 degree surface temps or so.

Last edited:

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Go there every year. However, the only time I go is when its frozen. Would be kind of fun to take the boat up but then again, I would much rather make the trip to Bimini! :D

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We towed our boat up to Zippel bay on the SW corner of the big lake one year. We just had too many bodies for the fishing boats we had, so I towed it up. We had no less than 10ft rolling waves as the wind was coming from the NE the full length of the big lake. We never made it past the lighthouse that first day as it was just too big of waves. Total glass the next two days. It's amazing to see as it rarely happens on the big lake. The Northern (Canadian) side has shelter all over with the piles of islands.

I will have to dig up the video I shot years ago off the hood of the waverunner. Buzzing rocky narrows between islands at 60+mph is awesome to see.