• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Large Bimini like on 242 SE but no Fly By Wire

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HI All,

In a process of considering new boat.. 24. Large Bimini is a Must, but I really dont want E series because I want Perfect Pass type system. What are my options? Are there 2017-2018 boats that came with Large Bimini but no Fly by Wire?

My biggest concern with E-series is that it's not able to maintain GPS based speed. and I would really want GPS based speed for wakeboarding.

is it possible to rig something larger on AR240 ?

Thanks!!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My biggest concern with E-series is that it's not able to maintain GPS based speed. and I would really want GPS based speed for wakeboarding.
I’m not totally sure that’s accurate...

My speed control stays pretty consistent once set. And, tubing, cruising, other activities without ballast seem right on target. When I’m full ballast and surfing, however, the speed control doesn’t do horrible at keeping consistent, but I have found that the speed is inaccurate. My phone running a gps speedometer app will say 10.5 mph, but to maintain that I have to set the boat at 13mph or something along those lines.

I guess I’m not sure where the disconnect is, and I believe RideSteady would be awesome on my boat to correct these issues... but it’s not worth ignoring the boat as an option (for me).

The e-throttles are super awesome though, once you have them. :)

To answer your other question, several folks have made some larger shade solutions... but I don’t think I’ve seen any that can be deployed while moving. More of shade when parked solutions.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m not totally sure that’s accurate...

My speed control stays pretty consistent once set. And, tubing, cruising, other activities without ballast seem right on target. When I’m full ballast and surfing, however, the speed control doesn’t do horrible at keeping consistent, but I have found that the speed is inaccurate. My phone running a gps speedometer app will say 10.5 mph, but to maintain that I have to set the boat at 13mph or something along those lines.

so my main concern is that I like to Wakeboard at about 18mph.. that's this weird sport between On and Off plane. RPM based setting will most definitely not work as boat just will jump on plane and add 5-7 MPH... and I am OLD and wakeboarding at 25mph is too friggin scary!

and my Wife only cares about big Bimini..

or SX is perfect for bimini, but I can't find Rack that would fir over the bimini and allow towing while bimini is fully deployed

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can always get the boat with the smaller Bimini and have an extension custom made for it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
so my main concern is that I like to Wakeboard at about 18mph.. that's this weird sport between On and Off plane. RPM based setting will most definitely not work as boat just will jump on plane and add 5-7 MPH... and I am OLD and wakeboarding at 25mph is too friggin scary!

and my Wife only cares about big Bimini..

or SX is perfect for bimini, but I can't find Rack that would fir over the bimini and allow towing while bimini is fully deployed
The E-Series boats are all GPS speed controlled. I know this for a fact as I'm trying to debub a GPS error right now. In addition to that, they have 3 launch control options (Slow/medium/fast) that "automatically" control the acceleration of the boat up to your desired set speed.

There have been some complaints about the speed control running a little under the set speed, but I've only seen that when surfing at say 10.5 and it might show 9, all you need to do then is press the + button to get it to your desired speed (or if your rider says faster...just hit the +).

It is much better than perfect pass.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for Solid feedback! Would you say that E series is about as reliable as the non E series? or more electronics mean more problems? like with your GPS errors..

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure where you got your info from, but my 242 Limited SE has 2 types of throttle control. 1st is RPM based and only maintains a constant engine RPM. You can increase or decrease your RPM, thus your speed by using the same buttons that are used for the NO WAKE mode. This increases/decreases the RPM each time by approx 200 RPM. Great for cruising, but not what you need for wakeboarding, etc. The DRIVE system is GPS based and allows you to set up to 5 profiles that include setting up launch acceleration speed and tow speed. Ours works extremely well. I have not tried anything below 12 MPH, but all speeds I have set work well. As you turn or maneuver you can hear these engines accelerate/decelerate to maintain a constant speed. If you need to adjust the speed, you use the same WAKE MODE buttons to increase or decrease the speed 1/10 MPH at a time. Of course you have the single throttle selection also on the SE.

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you for Solid feedback! Would you say that E series is about as reliable as the non E series? or more electronics mean more problems? like with your GPS errors
I did, initially have problems with the DRIVE control system losing GPS signal and cutting on and off. It took longer than it should have, but the problem was finally resolved with absolutely no push back from Yamaha or the dealer. They honored their warranty with no issues. Mine was the first year for the new system. This was the only electronics problem I have had.

Last edited:

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you!! this is the first solid explanations that I have seen on how that works!