• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Leak from Clean out port main hose

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all,

I believe I have a leak at the base of both clean out port main hoses, the big cylinder where you reach down to pull the clean out plug.
See the attached pictures
My port side plug did not have any water above the plug but my starboard side did.
the water was not In my bilge when I spent a whole day cruising at slow speed,even overnight at the slip there was no water in the bilge
Only when I decided to take it out for a short full throttle run did I notice the bilge pump go off
I think the source of the leak is at the base of the big clean out port rubber hose

how can I fix this? Will I need to remove the entire hose for each clean out port then reseal with maybe 5200? Or west system 655 toughened 2 part epoxy??

Attachments

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It’s hard to tell from the pics. The seal doesn’t look great though. You might have a leak or it might just be water seeping from the swim platform. Have you noticed the situation getting worse or it’s pretty stable?

I have a similar issue where the pump goes on even though I don’t see any water in the bilge. I also noticed that even if there’s no water in the bilge, when I pull the boat from the water and remove the drain plug, a fair amount of water sometimes comes out. I eventually figured out it was because water seeps in the cover on the clean out ports. It’s not a great seal.

I wet slip my boat and added a second bilge pump at the base of the clean out port area. I did this as a back up and so I could leave the boat in the water with the battery switches off. But it has a side benefit and draining the water from the transom area.

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m pretty positive it’s coming from the base of the hoses, I pressed the old sealant that was used and water kept coming from that seal even after drying it all up, the whole hose is dry up until the bottom of it under the hose clamps

It seems pretty stable, just don’t want to risk it because I do like going pretty fast.
since I secured the hose clamps on there better than before I don’t think that seal is going to blow out if I’m going fast, correct me if I’m wrong

I also wet slip it for the season and I also added a secondary bilge pump on an automatic float switch just in case.

wondering if I should wait to properly repair it until we get a good rainstorm (so I can pull it out of the water and work on it in the garage without missing out on any boat days) or if I should repair it ASAP

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The speed you go should have no impact on a leak from that location (unless your clean out plugs are also allowing blow by).

Sealing with caulk and retightening the hose clamp is all you should need to do if you think it is leaking there.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like the clamp is not at the base. Looks like they’re just around the tube. Hard to tell. But I would check to make sure.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thinking a bit more about my comment. If the clamp is not around the base, it could actually make the bottom of the tube flare out, creating a gap. While you’re at it, check the top of the tubes also.

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses

I tried getting the hose clamps around the base as best I could,
I’ll bring them lower tomorrow and see if it makes a difference,

Today I added two hose clamps to the port side base and they’re as low as you can possibly go but it kept leaking slowly

I really think the sealant is shot, you can peel it up from the base, like it has completely lost adhesion to the fiberglass

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
The speed you go should have no impact on a leak from that location (unless your clean out plugs are also allowing blow by).

Sealing with caulk and retightening the hose clamp is all you should need to do if you think it is leaking there.
Caulk as in 4200?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will try to find some marine grade caulk products any suggestions would be appreciated

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length