• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

leaving my batteries in for the winter

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Its too much of a hassle for me to remove 3 batteries so Im trying to come up with a strategy to keep um good over the winter. I have a 3 bank charger and was thinking of plugging it in once a month for a day. Will that be good enough?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why not leave the charger plugged in all the time? That is what I do. I am assuming that any 3 bank charger is an onboard charger that is rated to maintain batteries.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So you would leave it plugged in from November till May?

DeadlyFrog

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My charger is on the batteries any time Im not using the boat, this also includes Oct. till early May.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So you would leave it plugged in from November till May?
Mine Is plugged in year round. The charger is designed to maintain the batteries.

I have a constant load from the refrigerator so my charger gets a workout. I turn the fridge on at the beginning of the boating season and turn it off at the end. It has been on since mid March this year.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Even on a charger, not sure it's a good idea to "store" the batteries in freezing conditions...
I envy the warm climate e-series with the solar trickle chargers - several months of "storage" is basically just leaving the boat alone!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The convenience of not having to pull the batteries out and not having to bring a charger / maintainer to the boat are the main benefits of buying and installing one for me.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Leave it on year round as long as it's a smart charger. You'll extend battery life this way.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Three points.
  1. Make sure your smart charger is smart. Yamaha does not connect the red loop wire on the dvsr to an engine on wire or a switch which defeats a smart charger being smart. I cut the red loop and connected to a engine on wire so dvsr only engages when when the engines are on and the start battery is in good health. Removing the small black dvsr ground wire storage would be a temporary method for storage but don't forget to hook it back up next year.
  2. If the boat is stored in a location where the temperature is regularly below 40f or above 110f then moving the batteries and smart charger to an temperature controlled location for storage is better for the charger and the batteries. I moved my batteries and dual bank smart charger to my basement workbench for storage here in Maine.
  3. If your batteries are not a sealed type make sure to check/fill each cell's electrolyte level to the fill line prior to storage. I have sealed AGMs so no need for me to do this.
Lastly it is not a bad idea to turn off or disconnect anything that can draw power with the battery switches off. Now back to watching football, drinking beer, eating, and shouting at the TV.

Last edited:

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Well in the past I didnt plug it in often during the winter and didnt have bad results. Im not really up for replacing 2 blue optimas and a sealed starting battery.
She will get wrapped next weekend and I will likely try to plug it in 1 or 2 weekend a month. I say that now but I will plug it in and forget to go back for .......
In the end its only $$:winkingthumbsup"