• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Life lesson learned

rcpd34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven't been able to use my boat nearly as much as I had hoped. So when I came across a new website called Boatbound.com, I looked into it. These folks put boat owners in touch with folks who want to rent them. I was very leery, but they have thought this through and their business model seemed sound. It is gaining poularity across t he country. So, I signed up and instantly got several inquiries. I purposefully advertised it at a high rate. The first rental was set for July 4th. $500 for about 6 hours of use. Sounds good so far... They vet the applicants and I did so as well through email and then text and finally on the phone. Morning of July 4th rolls around the the guy is late. Says he had truck problems; plausible. Shows up in a U-Haul F150. I show him the boat we go over everything in great detail. Go over the Check List and inventory, I ask a ton of question and he gives all the rght answers and he leaves. We make arrangements to meet back at my house and since I'm working, I tell him to give me 15 mins notice to meet hiim. Well, he doesn't call andjust drops the boat off and goes. I get a text advising there was a problem with the spare tire and the tongue jack was bent, but he was sorry and would pay for it. I run home and find the spare destroyed; he somehow managed to drag in down the road. I also notice the port key in the ON position. Uh Oh. I start the starboard side no problem, but the port side won't start and the engine is dragging. Uh Oh. I pull the clean outs and find a tow rope bound up in there. I crawl underneath to check the gate and see it's cut off. Also notice some fresh scrapes beneath the drain plug in the fiberglass. Like he ran aground in reverse somehow. Can't figure out how he did that. Boat was perfect when he picked it up. He did more damage in 4 hours than the last 7 years. SMH.

I immediately emailed Boatbound and to their credit someone called me back after 11pm on a holiday. I was very impressed. Claim went in and I should hear back Monday or Tuesday, but she said they would cover everything. We shall see.
IMG_5026.JPG IMG_5031.JPG IMG_5034.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is terrible!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sucks. I hope you get a quick resolution, and everything gets fixed.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do they allow you to captain the boat while they rent? I think that would be about the only way I would do it. I can't stand the thought of someone running my boat without me being there. An extra chance for me to get out on the water would be great and if they pay me for it even better.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I hope there is no damage to the intake tunnel. Then all you are out is the intake grate, spare tire and some scratches to remind you of your learning experience.

I don't like letting my wife drive off with the boat.....let alone a complete stranger....but at that price, having an old boat for this purpose might be an option....

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OUCH!!! That's terrible.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Someone posted up a Yamaha rental fleet last week. I can't imagine a non jet boat person renting one of these. Actually, without an open credit card in a qualified amount of the boat, I couldn't see doing this. I am just too conservative and know they could not possibly treat my boat like I do. Sorry for the damage and hope the insurance takes care of it for you.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is painful to look at! Keep us posted...hopefully it works out.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ouch! I MIGHT consider renting out a small i/o boat if I had one, but not my jetboat. There are just too many things that are different about our boats from typical i/o boats. Like you said though, lesson learned. Hopefully the company will make good and get your boat back to it's previous condition.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow I'd never take that chance! I hope they cover it.

I would even hesitate to buy a used boat that I knew was used as a rental.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ouch! Sorry about the problems and for letting us know. Hope it all works out well for you.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not me no way​

jdiaz78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, at least you have an extra 500 bucks?? Just trying to look at the bright side.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouch.

Yeah, they don't call it being "ridden like a rented mule" for nothing.

Hope all works out well.

I'm actually anxious to hear if they make you whole again. If so, a fella that lives in a warmer climate might consider picking up a 2nd boat to rent out (assuming that - like me - you actually ENJOY working on them).

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK..I will say it..WTF!!! Are people really that stupid? I do not even want to think of how he did that to the tire. pray for karma...sorry...long day...hope it works out for you and get everything taken care of.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rcpd34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So far, Boatbound has been great. They called me at 11pm on July 4th and I spoke to them again today. Lots of emails in between. Each time they have reiterated that I'm covered. They asked for two estimates which I'm working on. They advised the guys deposit is gone and since he violated their terms they will go after him for all they can. Only time will tell if I'm made whole.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man oh man I feel your pain.

I invision this cat sucked up a rope, got towed to the ramp by a fellow boater and put the boat on the concrete ramp in reverse. When he backed the trailer into the water he couldn't figure out how to float the boat onto the trailer so he unhitched the trailer and used the truck to pull the boat into the trailer. It was then that the trailer jack bent. On the way home the trailer bounced off of the ball because it was not latched properly and killed your spare. This guy sounds like a grade A jerk nut!