• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Life vests for dogs

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey, I know a lot of you boat with your doggies. I was wondering if you use life vests for your dogs or just let them wing it? I would love to take Max and Mia out on the Dawg, but I'm really nervous about it. I think a doggie life vest would make me feel better about it. What do you guys do? and if you use doggie life vests, where do you get them?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have one for our lab. She will be wearing it when on the boat is under way. We bought ours at overtons.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks! I'll check it out.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Our dog is 115 lbs so I know they work good.We had to buy her one because she didnt know when to stop swimming and would start to sink when she got tired.

Raphael

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Small dog vest have a handle which is very handy. www.boatersoutlet.com

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our dog never gets on the boat without it. You should be able to buy them at any known brand animal supply store.

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to look into it. Thanks all! I'll post pics of my babies in their life vests.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think we got ours years ago at either pet smart or sports authority. I agree with Raphael that the handle comes in handy for the small dogs anyway. image.jpg

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OMG! Adorable doggie Dennis! What kind of dog is that? I love the look on the face :)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've seen some basic nylon versions at west marine but my wife has found a better selection (more colors some in neoprene) at out local pet co. I'm sure there are more expensive models available but the one we bought recently for out 20 lb dog was less than $30 including tax which is cheap compared to the cost of most human pfds. Well worth it too, our dog is like our second child.

The funny thing about dogs and life vests, this is my situation anyway, is that the dog doesn't realize it can float with the vest on so it paddles away as if to stay afloat. When I pull my dog out of the water by the strap on the back of the vest she is still kicking with all four legs, the same was true with my previous dog.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ronnie is right! They don't know they can float. So to get them to stop paddling, they have to think they are on something, namely you! And their dang nails may not scratch the vinyl, but it dang sure scratches you!

We had one of those floating papasan chairs (this worked best) that Chester would lay in, we tried noodle contraptions (they didn't work) to let him rest on, but all in all, a good life jacket is a must for his safety and your sanity. And the handle is the most important feature to help you grab him and get him back on the boat. We never had good luck with the vests from Petsmart and I never saw any at Overtons or West Marine that looked good, but I didn't try them, so not comment there. Of course boxers are funny shaped with a huge chest and skinny waist, so finding a good fit was hard. I can't find the name brand of the life vest...we bought it at a boat show of all places, but the float we found at Leslie's Pool Supplies. I would suggest looking at pool supply or specialty pet stores over the big ones, you may find better vests there.
DSCN1836 (Medium).JPG

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
20131110_120346.jpg IMAG1088.jpg IMAG0637.jpg 20131110_132101.jpg We had the one from PETsMART, and it worked well until the handle broke. still a great vest, just a pain to get our boxer back in the boat without the handle. Bought the ruffwear one, which was a bit pricey, but worth it. Better construction, and no fear of the handle breaking.... Dont leave the dock without it and always on when underway. When beached, we take it off her... I'll add pics shortly...

Last edited:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have two chihuahuas. We always put the vests on when we are stopped so they can play ion the water. We have bought vests from Petsmart and on-line. The hardest part for us is the small size (XS) 4.5 lbs and 6.5 lbs! The dogs love to play on the tube when we are just floating around.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our dog is 115 lbs so I know they work good.We had to buy her one because she didnt know when to stop swimming and would start to sink when she got tired.
Thats exactly what I was going to say! Of course, most dogs are great swimmers and love the water, but they don't know when to stop paddling, so the life vest is needed when then get tired and sink. Also I found it easier to grab them by the vest!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you take your dogs often, this is handy to have too...