• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Listen up SVHO engine owners...

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
What are the benefits to the filter on top? I noticed the fizzle catch can also uses a filter.

I am also curious as to the benefit of the filter on top, when I installed my catch can I never put the filter on top, I just kept it a closed system

sikm3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I am also curious as to the benefit of the filter on top, when I installed my catch can I never put the filter on top, I just kept it a closed system
It vents crankcase fumes to the atmosphere. Not environmentally kosher but I wouldn't chance the vapors circulating in the boat's engine bay. The breather is for older vehicles and engines without PCV systems. Most Yamaha engines have a PCV system.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Anybody with the no name brand 50mm, I have a question. Have you ever heard the BOV in use while underway? I have not, just want to make sure it is working properly I guess. Just a thought I had while I couldn't sleep, have never heard any release of pressure. Not sure if that is normal or not

DeeKranze

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anybody with the no name brand 50mm, I have a question. Have you ever heard the BOV in use while underway? I have not, just want to make sure it is working properly I guess. Just a thought I had while I couldn't sleep, have never heard any release of pressure. Not sure if that is normal or not
Haha, I had the same thoughts when I first installed mine (no name 50mm) it was very quiet. I popped the engine bay hood up one time just to make sure it was working and it was and sounded like a blow off valve should. Not sure if it is just a normal thing with the no name brand to be that quiet, lack of boost, or the engine bay sound proofing/engine noise...but it works. And this past weekends run involved me trying to out run a thunderstorm and going against some pretty big swells, I was chopping the throttle often and could hear the blow off valve whistling while it worked

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Yeah bro. If you already have a K&N or aftermarket conical air filter, the easiest place to mount it is in place of the stock air box on the front right side of the engine as illustrated in the attached photo. It is very easy to drill the holes through into the battery compartment area. From there I just ran a heavy duty zip tie through the mounting holes on the oil extractor and through to the other side, works like a champ. If you still have your stock air filter/box, you can position it behind the fuel hose at the back right, you’ll just need to run a longer hose back to your air intake. You’ll use the stock PCV hose running up from the crank case up to the oil extractor “In” port and then you’ll run another hose to your stock intake arm which as you can see I’m still using in my photos. Shoot me a message if you need more photos/instructions etc and I’d be glad to help you out.
Do you have a part# and vendor for the catch can?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Curious about the little breather filter on top of the catch can. Wouldn't a closed system provide more efficient crankcase pressure evacuation? I've seen many forced induction engines in the auto world utilizing catch cans that aren't vented. Not wanting to start a debate, just wanting to know the rationale. It seems that pulling a constant vacuum on the crankcase while filtering/catching the gasses would be the best of both worlds. What am I missing?

Here is some good reading:

I'll be running my setup with the provided bolt in lieu of the breather.
Maintaining vacuum in the crankcase yields some performance gains in that it stops piston ring flutter and helps keep the rings seated on the bottom of the lands. Not to mention keeping the crankcase clear of vapors of various kinds.

Having the little breather on there is going to allow oil vapor to get into the engine bay and eventually make it oily and stink. If I’m reading this correctly the main reason for the catch can is to try and make the suspended oil drop out as much as possible so that it doesn’t end up on the SC compressor blades and foul up the CAC ( charge air cooler). For the CAC this is very important to maintain optimum heat transfer.

On modern diesels a lot of engineering has gone into catch cans to lower compressor fouling in the turbo charger. Unless I’m incorrect, the SVHO SC is a centrifugal type compressor that’s very similar to a turbocharger but uses the crank to provide power instead of an exhaust turbine.

As far as the EPA is concerned, if the engine falls under EPA certification, and the emissions system is modified without going through the certification process, or using parts that have not been EPA certified, it’s a violation, there are usually stickers on the engine that state this. The main reason the PCV system was put in place was to stop photo reactive chemicals from getting into in the atmosphere, same reason there is a charcoal canister on the vent line of the fuel tank, and why gas pumps have vapor recovery systems on them.

In the case of a sealed catch can put in line in the PCV system, the EPA Pitching a fit would be ridiculous as the catch can in theory would make the engine run cleaner as it would not be burning that oily vapor, but hey it’s a govt entity and there is not a lot of logic there sometimes. Kinda like when the govt mandates that cars get higher mpg while at the same time mandating the use of a fuel with 10% ethanol that has 1/2 the energy content of gasoline, and ethanol takes more energy to produce than its yield. You can’t make that stuff up!

Last edited:

MOwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am new to the jet boat world as we just bought our 2020 195S last summer. I like the idea behind the BOV but curious if this voids the warranty? I saw drilling into the manifold mentioned in a few posts and that seems irreversible.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am new to the jet boat world as we just bought our 2020 195S last summer. I like the idea behind the BOV but curious if this voids the warranty? I saw drilling into the manifold mentioned in a few posts and that seems irreversible.
You can tap into the MAP sensor vaccum line with a T adaptor piece instead of drilling into the manifold. It comes with everything for that. Not sure about the warranty part

Last edited:

MOwater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good deal. Does anyone on here know a part number for the K&N air filter that fits these 195 SVHO boats?

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Does anyone know if the 2021 195S has a factory installed catch can? I was reading through the factory service manual and from what I understand #5 in the diagram appears to be a "catch can".

Attachments

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Does anyone know if the 2021 195S has a factory installed catch can? I was reading through the factory service manual and from what I understand #5 in the diagram appears to be a "catch can".
Reading a 2021 manual or 2020?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
No catch cans. The oil separator tank is from the overhead valve and crankcase ventilation to collect oil vapour and return them to the oil pan and then vents any blowby gasses back to the intake system to be burned in the combustion chamber.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@kgower it is the 2020-2021 manual.

@212s could you explain that a little further? I was under the impression the catch can was placed between the crank ventilation and intake to filter out any oil in the blow by. Is this not what the oil separator is doing?

Attachments

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
@kgower it is the 2020-2021 manual.

@212s could you explain that a little further? I was under the impression the catch can was placed between the crank ventilation and intake to filter out any oil in the blow by. Is this not what the oil separator is doing?
Thanks. I know there is not much difference, but I only see the 2020 195's manual online, do you have a link or do you have a hard copy?

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Appreciate it. I had a link but soft copy only for 2020 and earlier.
Just to make sure we’re on the same page, it’s a physical paperback copy. When I said hard copy earlier I was meaning it wasn’t a digital copy.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Just to make sure we’re on the same page, it’s a physical paperback copy. When I said hard copy earlier I was meaning it wasn’t a digital copy.
Understood.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It's the same type of system that a car PCV uses: