• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Long Distance Towing Tips

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am preparing for an 850 mile tow, moving from ATL to DFW. I have been researching what to do to prepare and here is a list of what I have found so far. Please feel free to offer advice or tips to this thread, and I will try my best to append them to this post. However, I'll be preparing for or on my road trip so it may be a few days before I can add them. I will also put them into a more logical order.

1. Have a spare tire (tow vehicle and trailer)
2. Ensure that all tires are properly inflated.
3. Check fluid levels in tow vehicle (transmission, coolant, windshield washer, etc.)
4. Check winch and winch strap to make sure they are tight and secure.
5. Make sure trailer jack is secured and handle is secured so that it can't touch the ground.
6. Confirm hitch receiver is securely fastened to tow vehicle. Inspect bolts for proper operating condition.
7. Check aft tie down straps are tight and in good condition. Also check tie down mounts are securely attached to boat.
8. BoatUS Trailer Assist Insurance http://www.boatus.com/towing/trailerabout.asp
9. Pack a jack, wood blocking, and lug wrench that fits the trailer.
10. Trailer Maintenance, how to replace winch strap, Shorelander grease point, Trailer Brakes replacement parts list
11. Changing a trailer tire https://jetboaters.net/threads/changing-a-tire-on-your-dual-axle-mfi-trailer.1241/

Last edited:
image.jpeg Ensure your chains are secured to the truck:-)

Ok, I do have a question on towing with a cover in place. I have a custom Sunbrella snap-on cover, which is thick so I think it would be ok to tow with it on. But I'm not sure since I've read all of the horror stories of towing with mooring covers.

If I do decide to tow with the cover on, I will remove the anti-pooling poles.

1. Check brake fluid level in trailer.
  2. Check lights on trailer
  3. Check that ball lock on trailer is adjusted so it isn't loose (and grease ball well)
  4. Check that bearing buddies are full (showing at least 1/2 of blue)
  5. Ensure Jetboaters.net stickers are all clearly visible on tow vehicle and trailer! :-)
  6. Get Jetboaters.net tire cover
  7. bring wheel chocks

Don't forget to prop up your lower unit to insure it doesn't drag

...oh that doesn't apply here

If I do decide to tow with the cover on, I will remove the anti-pooling poles.

I always use the factory cover - I always leave the anti-pooling pole in - I never have any issues. I see your cover is different than mine , not 100 percent sure about how your cover will do???

I tow my boat at least twice a year to Destin which is about 400 miles one way for me. The cover is essential to me as one of the must haves on my list.

What I would add to your list:
Boat cover - keep things out (like road kill, rain, and bird poo)
Stop every 2 hours and do a walk around checking straps, tires, and cover
Be careful on clearance when stopping at stores, drive thru fast food joints, etc
Keep your head lights on no matter the time of day

Save travels - always watch out for the other guy because you never know for sure what he would do. So I leave you with defensive driving key tips because all good kids like mike as Mr Smith would,have it.

Key 1 Aim High In Steering
Evaluate the parking environment and its unique characteristics.
Scan the parking area and plan for your departure when you choose your parking space. Look for opportunities to avoid backing. Use pull through or curb side spaces

Key 2 Get The Big Picture
Know what objects are around your vehicle and their proximity to your vehicle. Don’t assume you know what is around your vehicle: Get Out And Look (G.O.A.L.)
Know what may be under and above your vehicle as well as what is around

Key 3 Keep Your Eyes Moving
Move your head and eyes to scan the entire area around your vehicle. Don’t fixate.
Back slowly to allow time for eye activity and reduce possible damage if you hit something. Incorporate the available technology in your scanning pattern but don’t use it exclusively.

Key 4 Leave Yourself An Out
Whenever possible, find a parking space that is surrounded by space.
Back no further than you must.
Choose a site with the fewest hazards whether it is other vehicles or objects.

Key 5 Make Sure They See You
Seek eye-to-eye contact.
Communicate. Use your warning devices to alert others.
Don’t move the vehicle until you are absolutely sure it is safe to do so.

After I had a trailer hub issue on one of my long hauls, I now carry a complete hub assembly; hub, bearings, castle nut, cotter pin, dust cover, grease, and the tools necessary to repair/replace the hub. I put every thing in a 5 gallon bucket and cheap in the bed of my truck. My issue was that a cotter pin broke allowing the castle nut to come loose and fall off the spindle resulting in the hub to about come off, luckily a car passing me slowed down and let me know.

On your first leg of your trip, I would stop at a convenient place that is about an hour or so out to check over the trailer. Pay close attention to the trailer tires, trailer hubs and boat tie down straps. The boat will settle on the trailer causing some of the straps to possible loosen up. The tires will have built up normal travel heat which might reveal a potential tire issue. Place you hand on each wheel hub to see if they are excessively hot, the hubs with brakes will be a little warmer than the hubs without. After this first precautionary stop, every time you stop perform these checks.

Yep good point @andy07sx230ho . Forgot to mention that. @cane.mba i once accepted a voluntary boat inspection at the boat dock. The officer pulled out a gun and pointed it at my trailer tires (obtw, it was a heat thermal gun). He checked the heat of the hub against the heat of the tires - much like Andy suggest. I thought it was a great idea and I purchased one on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...id=1454500601&sr=8-2&keywords=heat+sensor+gun

I have also condsider this items - I really need to buy it - it monitors tire pressure and heat on the go. I feel that is important because here in Louisiana and most of my trips begin by getting on a 20 mile long bridge. It is good to have a understanding if you gonna have a problem before it occurs - it could save your life because chaning a tire on a bridge over water is never a good thing !

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Moni...4501481&sr=8-11&keywords=tire+pressure+sensor

Last edited:
Great pic, hopefully people will realize this is not how to do it! Hahaha

I'm sure that cotter pin has enough structural integrity to hold that 5000 lb trailer in the event of the hitch jumping the ball!

Trailering covered also keeps everything in the boat!

Keep your speed in check. Run 65 or less if at all possible. If the road conditions are bad, like a poor patch job or wet, slow down. I know there's sections of 20 between Jackson and Shreveport that are absolutely horrible. Going through Monroe and Shreveport is some of the worst! I would certainly use a cover of some sort. Preferably the original shipping cover, if you still have it, or the Yamaha mooring cover. If you don't have one, check with your dealer and see if they have one that they can give you. It'll keep things in the boat that belong and and things you don't want out. A bonus to using a cover is when stop for food or potty you wouldn't have any prying eyes.

If you are worried about the cover chaffing, you can use clear pallet wrap around the boat under the cover. I pulled several 250 mile one way trips with my AR230, both factory cover and mooring cover and never had an issue without doing that, but some of the high dollar boat guys recommend it. Pooling pools out!

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned this, but watch your tranny temp gauge if you have one in your truck. Towing is hard on any vehicle and while its cooler this time of year, aggressive or hilly driving can still drive those temps up which causes more wear.

Last year, I used the white cover that came on the boat from the factory for my 1200 mile tow to Ft. Lauderdale. One of the seams just in front of the windshield opened up on the cover during the return trip. I had to pull over and take the cover off. I had the support poles in place per the recommendation of my dealer who's justification was that it was delivered from the factory that way.
The factory cover doesn't seem like it was meant to last as far as the lightweight material that it is made with and the glued seams.
I'm not sure if I'll try gluing up the factory cover for this year's tow or whether I'll use my Yamaha mooring cover instead. I'm leaning toward throwing out the factory cover and going with the mooring cover.

Yep good point @andy07sx230ho . Forgot to mention that. @cane.mba i once accepted a voluntary boat inspection at the boat lunch once. The office pulled out his gun and pointed it at my tires (obtw, it was a heat thermal gun). He checked the heat of the hub and tires just like Andy suggest. I thought it was a great idea and I purchased one on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...id=1454500601&sr=8-2&keywords=heat+sensor+gun

I have also condsider this items - I really need to buy it - it monitors tire pressure and heat on the go. I feel that is important because here in Louisiana and most of my trips begin by getting on a 20 mile long bridge. It is good to have a understanding if you gonna have a problem before it occurs - it could save you life because chaning a tire on a bridge over water is never a good thing !

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Moni...4501481&sr=8-11&keywords=tire+pressure+sensor
Oh great, something else I need to buy:D

For those of you with towers, do you tow long distance with your tower up or down?

For those of you with towers, do you tow long distance with your tower up or down?

I think most OEM towers are designed to tow with them up.

Always Tow - Up on my tower.

If you have tower speakers double check to make sure they are snugg and tight - I have seen mine become loose. Nothing major - but all day tow could be a problem if left unchecked and unnoticed

You can tow down with the OEM tower if you use the included supports and tighten it down (stowing the bottom tower bit elsewhere, of course). For convenience, I always tow with mine up...

If you tow with tower up I recommend wiping down tower with furniture polish like pledge before towing. It makes wiping the bugs off very easy.

If you tow with tower up I recommend wiping down tower with furniture polish like pledge before towing. It makes wiping the bugs off very easy.

I've tried that, I've tried waxing my tower :shamefullyembarrased:, I've tried blue painters tape before traveling.

In the end, I find a damp rag and a little elbow grease is the quickest fix for dead bug removal.

Back