• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Long time lurker, not a jet boater....yet

Duane652000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hi all,

I've been lurking here ever since last August when my current boat (see sig) blew out yet another coupler. I'm in the middle of repairs over the off-season. My current boat has been pretty high maintenance, which is shocking because every year I spend several weekends getting her ready for a new season, and doing plenty of preventative maintenance.

I'm so tired of I/O's! I can honestly say that I'll never own another. From here on out, it's either Jet drives, or Outboards.

This year I decided to pull my own engine and do the repairs myself, because I don't trust that my mechanic has done me right. He's already pulled my engine for a host of repairs twice in the last 8 years, and now I had to pull it to replace a drive coupler that was put in just two seasons ago. It's been very frustrating. I know I have an older boat, but she's been well cared for so I'm always surprised when I have failures like I keep having.

Anyway, this season the boats obviously getting a new drive coupler, new fresh water impeller, new alternator, new long-block, fresh carb over-haul, new bellows, shift cable, and a host of other misc parts. I only hope it can hold together for another couple of years, while I save for either a Vortex 243, or Yamaha 244e. I want a surf boat, in hopes I can learn a new sport. I definitely want to teach my son and grandson to wake surf.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, this is definitely the place to hear about jets!

What lake do you normally use?

Sorry to hear about your issues, being a first time boat owner I definitely would have sold a long time ago if I had those types of problems. Thankfully all I've had to do was smear some silicone on an intake grate, fix a rotted hatch and change spark plugs, it makes it very easy to own,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Duane652000 Welcome! I came from an old PITA I/O as well, and will never go back. That said, your boat is only a few years away from antique plates (25 years I think)....so probably not fair to rag on it too much! But the first three maintenance items on your list dont exist on our jet boats....so can never fail! :)

Happy hunting!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard, soon to be JetBoater.......

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard, @Duane652000 !

You have your eyes on a couple of beautiful jetboats. If you buy either one, you'll never go back to a stern drive.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Damn! I feel lucky. My 88 sea ray hasn't had that many problems. Good luck with the wrenching. I too am saving up for a jet. 2017 might bring a new 21 footer!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome @Duane652000 I too will never go back to an I/O. I am on 2nd jet boat and can't imagine dealing with an IO again...

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

I've been lurking here ever since last August when my current boat (see sig) blew out yet another coupler. I'm in the middle of repairs over the off-season. My current boat has been pretty high maintenance, which is shocking because every year I spend several weekends getting her ready for a new season, and doing plenty of preventative maintenance.

I'm so tired of I/O's! I can honestly say that I'll never own another. From here on out, it's either Jet drives, or Outboards.

This year I decided to pull my own engine and do the repairs myself, because I don't trust that my mechanic has done me right. He's already pulled my engine for a host of repairs twice in the last 8 years, and now I had to pull it to replace a drive coupler that was put in just two seasons ago. It's been very frustrating. I know I have an older boat, but she's been well cared for so I'm always surprised when I have failures like I keep having.

Anyway, this season the boats obviously getting a new drive coupler, new fresh water impeller, new alternator, new long-block, fresh carb over-haul, new bellows, shift cable, and a host of other misc parts. I only hope it can hold together for another couple of years, while I save for either a Vortex 243, or Yamaha 244e. I want a surf boat, in hopes I can learn a new sport. I definitely want to teach my son and grandson to wake surf.
@Duane652000 I hear ya man. Just last year I had to replace the oil, oil filters and spark plugs in my 2005 Yamaha...well guess what, apparently I have to do all of that again this year! It never ends, the maintenance on these boats!!! :jawdrop:

BTW...welcome and congrats on your first step to boat maintenance addiction recovery..Well it isn't a full actual recovery it is more of a transfer of obsession to boat mods!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Duane652000 glad that you found us. Good luck with your boat hunting. Hope it all works out for you.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:Welcome: @Duane652000! You'll love the jet boats. I lurked for some time too before deciding. Maintenance requirements - or lack there of - was a factor in our decision (along with no lower unit to deal with). Because of time and travel problems, I had to pay to have it serviced last year (if only I'd known that we wouldn't see a real "winter" until this week end...) and it set me back $500 to do the 100 hour service and "winterize" - but that's going to be the last time. Other than that, it's been bulletproof. But then there's the cost of mods that everyone here will talk you into...! ;)

Duane652000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Lakes I hit in frequency are Joe Pool, Eagle Mountain, Granbury, Possom Kingdom, Lewisville, and Whitney. I have friends or family with homes on Whitney, Granbury, and Possom Kingdom.

I'm already bit by moditis. I agree, that I've had more than my share of issues. Which is why I've decided to do these repairs myself this time. I'll be back on the water in the spring, but I'll be longing for a new boat until I get one. I've been torn between the 21 or 24' ers. Things I like about the 24' is throttle by wire and a head. I'm usually on the lake all day and half the night so I feel the need for a head, for my female passengers, especially in the cooler months when taking a dip isn't in the cards.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome! Good to have another Texan in the mix. Can't wait for your new boat... :)