• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at a 2010 242 Limited and need advice

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello,

I'm new to jetboats but I have owned several jet skis. With that said I'm not happy with my Monterey and I have been looking at jetboats.

Here's my question - I have found a used 2010 242 Limited here in St Louis with 150 hours. Is there a point that these engines need to be rebuilt? Is there anything that I should be looking at on a used boat that should be checked for?

Thanks,
CJ

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On a 2010 you will want to check the oil cooler bolt to make sure its still there or been upgraded or replaced. I have a steal on a 2011 SX240 in the classified section here with only about 75 hours on it and a ton of upgrades for 27K.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2011-sx240-27-000.10223/

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@firecap797 I would seriously consider @robert843 boat!
His thread loads slooooooow, because he is some kind of a narcissist ;) and posted a gazillion high res pics, but don't be discouraged, look it up. IT IS A STEAL. Especially given you are looking at a boat without a tower anyway.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They key is to test drive any boat you buy used without a warranty, and preferably know how it should perform (max rpms, top speed, planing speed etc). We have many forum members that are willing to assist!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see 150 hours on a 6 year old boat as low. That is only 25 per year.

I am not sure what the record is for hours without a rebuild is on the 1.8 liter engines but it is over 4,000 on the previous MR-1 engines. Yamaha uses the same engines in high end Waverunners. Those engines see lots and lots of hours and are known for reliability in rental skis.

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you all. I am going to look at it tomorrow. Hopefully they will allow a test drive. Its at the local dealer in St Charles, so hopefully they will work with me if it looks to be something I want to purchase.

@robert843 That is a really nice boat. If I was closer I might have to take you up on that. If I could sell mine outright I would always be up for a road trip.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To see if the oil coolers are new look at to third bolt down on the face of the cooler, the head will look diver from to rest and there will be an arrow engraved on the face pointed toward the third bolt head.

I got my 2010 242 in 2012 with 100 hours, switched from Yamaha oil to full synthetic and one cooler face cracked the other warped causing each to leak before 200 hours. Coincidence, maybe but it was covered by extended warranty now i have the newer coolers and switched back to Yamaha oil.
There was another member here whose coolers strayed leaking soon after he got a used 2010. Don't recall how thnworked out but the cooler itself is $700ish.

Don't want to deter you just inform you. The 240 sx and 242 limited are basically the same boat but Yamaha puts a few extras on the 242 l, like berber carpet, swim deck shower ,cushions , speakers etc. as I recall the 240 referenced above has been well take care of and comes with a few upgrades that may make you reconsider getting a 242.mif it is a 2011'or better I may already have the new coolers and I would take it over a 2010 with older coolers.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My engines lasted with no problems. This year I had the oil cooler bolt problems. I noticed it early and the dealer had two coolers that they just swap them out with and then rebuild the ones they get. The total cost including of course oil and filters for both engines was right at $600. Which isn't bad. I just say this since you are buying from a dealer I think you get them to insure it has been done or go ahead and have them do it as part of the deal. other than that the boats are great. I had over 300 hours on them.

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks all for your replies. I spent about 3 hours at the dealership today and the wife was partial (so was I really) to a 2016 242 Limited S.

They really took the time to go thru everything with us. Hopefully this will work out and by next weekend I'll have a new toy.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the decision to go new. Did you know that Yamaha usually announces their latest model year products by the end of August ? It would suck to buy a boat on Saturday only to have Yamaha announce the release of a newer model with an extra desirable feature or so on Sunday or to pay to much for last years model.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@firecap797 , wait if you can until the end of this month. You will get a better deal on any 2016 and with going new, you may just like what 2017 brings... speculation but it is worth the wait.

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@firecap797 , wait if you can until the end of this month. You will get a better deal on any 2016 and with going new, you may just like what 2017 brings... speculation but it is worth the wait.
They are discounted 4K on the boat with a 1 plus 3 year extended warranty. Plus freight and prep (1750) is also thrown in. But that all changes on Wednesday. Doubt I'll use Yamaha financing, I would prefer my credit union where my existing loans are already at.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard. . . How did you make out. . . . ?

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ended up picking up the 2016 242LS. Yamaha ended up getting a better rate than my local CU.

Took it our for the first time on Sunday and I'm blown away. Steering is going to take some practice at low speed (and I already ordered the Magnum AK fins and fangs) but other than that I have no complaints.

Oh wait I do I one complaint. My wallet is going to hate me for a while. :)

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up picking up the 2016 242LS. Yamaha ended up getting a better rate than my local CU.

Took it our for the first time on Sunday and I'm blown away. Steering is going to take some practice at low speed (and I already ordered the Magnum AK fins and fangs) but other than that I have no complaints.

Oh wait I do I one complaint. My wallet is going to hate me for a while. :)
Yeah, this forum and these boats tend to do that to you. . . . . B.O.A.T.S. stands for Break Out Another Thousand Sucker

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't worry too much about the steering. It always feels weird at first. Take the boat out either by yourself or just with another person and spend some time practicing. I used the no wake buoy at first, then I put a couple fenders out in the water and practiced pulling up to and around them. After an hour or two, you'll be a pro.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There are lots of topics on low speed steering on this forum to read.