• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at a ls2000 to buy with damage?

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Hello all new member here. As the title says there is damage/ repairs near the plug wondering if it's something to worry about and how it might have happened? Thank you.

Attachments

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like it backed into something. Is that a hole or just gel coat rubbed away? Looks like it’s peeling off the fiberglass on the left side, unless that’s a hole. Is the fiberglass soft? If deff needs to be repaired before going on the water.

The million dollar question is how much is the boat and how much are you willing to pay/spend time repairing that. Looks pretty rough.

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
All I have is the pictures to go off of the boat is a five and a half hour drive from me. The owner took the pictures himself said he skim-coated it with somthing a couple years ago but couldn't remember why. The owner was very open and honest with me and was willing to do a on the water test and a compression test. The boat looks really clean otherwise in all the pictures, he said he put an sbt engine in a few years ago and the other engine was replaced before he got it ten years ago. He is asking $8500

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I'm wondering what it would take to repair it? Or what I should ask or should I let the boat go?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
He is asking $8500
Don't walk but run away.

That is a lot for an LS2000 in good condition. Those pictures suggest neglect.

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I would not say neglect, the rest of the boat looks nearly perfect, there's not a lot of yamaha boats to be found in Nebraska so ya the asking price is high I have seen anouther ls2000 listed for 14k in my area now that is crazy.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How much experience do you have with 2 stroke engines? Those engines are said to need rebuilding every 400 hours or so. The LS2000 was before Yamaha was a major boat producer and I suspect that many have disappeared from the market as engines failed.

I bought a 2004 or 2005 LX210, which is an LS2000 with a swim deck, in 2012 for $10,500. I sold her for $12,000 in 2013 after making some repairs and upgrades. At that time LS2000s were selling for $7,000 or less.

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I'm experienced with 2 strokes, pwc, and outboards I'm not looking for a project however. I would prefer to have a 4 stroke I have not found one under 15k however anywhere near me.

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
THANK YOU Inthrustwetrust and Bruce for the quick and helpful information I'm going to keep looking for a different Yamaha.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm experienced with 2 strokes, pwc, and outboards I'm not looking for a project however. I would prefer to have a 4 stroke I have not found one under 15k however anywhere near me.

Where are you looking mate? Perhaps others here might be able to recognize something if we know where you are.

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Where are you looking mate? Perhaps others here might be able to recognize something if we know where you are.
Mid-Nebraska or anything within a eight hour drive one way for the right boat or deal. Wanting a Yamaha 4 stroke, my wish list includes duel captin chairs, wake tower, enough power to pull a slalom skier/ tubes, and under/ around 15k. I have experience with engines, fiberglass, and upholstery so a little work needed not a big deal, I'm not looking for a project however. Thank you for any help.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’ve seen ls2000’s listed this year (and sold or at least taken off the market) for 10 to 12.5k. For 8500 and the fiberglass repairs needed I’d say that is an OK deal if everything else checks out.

The lx210/ar210 swim platform is nice bolt on upgrade when you can find the parts (used) but not a deal breaker for an otherwise great boat (all three have the same hull and seating.

the market has changed quite a bit since 2013 @Brice

under 15 for a four stroke Yamaha will be hard to find.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Its amazing what boats are going for....here is an LX210 that looks in terrible shape....for 8900!

So if this boat only has that one spot of keel damage....perhaps its a good deal? But I'm suspicious of the "I don't recall how I fixed it or how it was damaged" line from the owner....sounds fishy to me. If water got into that transom.....you could have a much bigger project on your hands.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And remember with two strokes if you have an engine problem the repair will be quicker and a fraction of the cost of a four stroke.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
keep looking... that is not the droid your looking for... 🤣

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And remember with two strokes if you have an engine problem the repair will be quicker and a fraction of the cost of a four stroke.
yes however OEM parts are drying up for the two strokes... and you will be servicing them more often... 200-400 hours TBO...

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
yes however OEM parts are drying up for the two strokes... and you will be servicing them more often... 200-400 hours TBO...
True, but the aftermarket support is still strong. And since these engines (and variants) were put in a ton of pwc there is a lot of used oem parts available. For under 10k I think they are a good value for the right diy minded person. Especially in comparison to some of the similar vintage stern drives out there.

plus the early Yamaha boats have some of the best quality vinyl that seems to hold up very well.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well I generally agree and being a long time yamaha fan... just pointing out other considerations... that said I love the LST-1200C hull.. its fast light and strong... and handles MR-1's Just fine :winkingthumbsup"

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Thought I would update my thread I ended up looking at the boat in person and got some more details. His mechanic friend skim coated the transom and he could not remember why. I suspect there was some spiderweb cracks that he covered and what you can see flaking off in the pictures is what he coated it with. Otherwise the boat was in great condition and had 109-115 for compression. All it needed was some cup holders, some latches adjusted or replaced, a shift cable and trailer lights replaced. We agreed on 7k for the boat and loaded up the cover and started to get it ready to tow home when he handed me the title and told me to make sure it matched the boat and I did and the HIN number on his title didn't match the boat. The dmv made a typo on his title, I went to the dmv with the guy and they pretty much admitted it was there fault and it would take 6-8 weeks to correct his title before he could sell it to me. So I ended up leaving without the boat and kept looking. This past week i found a 2005 AR210 two stroke I bought, I will start a new thread for it because I will have questions.
I

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Congrats on the ar210…it’s the pinnacle of two stroke jet boat tech. And with a little maintenance every now and then will likely outlast most newer boats.

(and sound better too)