• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at maybe buying a Garmin-ECHOMAP-Plus-74cv-with-Transducer...opinions?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am considering buying a new GPS fish finder because my current Garmin is older, 5" screen with no touch screen and limited depth capability (600' only).

This one is a 2 year old model, only $499 including the transducer, will go to 1100' in salt water (probably a little less in reality)-but better than 600' - and Yes, we do some deep drop fishing off bimini and would love to be able to reach 1500' but those fish finders cost a shit ton...(unless someone wants to point me at one). It has WIFI, so you can look at what it sees on your phone (which might be cool for sitting on the back of the boat).

Garmin ECHOMAP Plus 74cv with Transducer

Any opinions? Anyone got one?

I am looking to determine if you can touch screen enter GPS coordinates (I assume you can...but you know what happens when ASSume)!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LMK what you find out on this. I'm looking for an additional unit for my boat and was also considering this one.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I didn't check the link cuz i am headed out the door but be sure it has ais capability and that it will link to chartplotter. Would be a shame to spend the money and not have that feature for finding boat friends etc.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the garmin's 74sv dv with the transducer.. but it was one year before the touch screen and wifi came out on them...

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the 74cv havent gotten to play with it much, but I love the screen. Everything is touch screen

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will jump on boat tomorrow if get home at decent time. I need to install my scan disc after using homeport for my charting needs anyways.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I am considering buying a new GPS fish finder because my current Garmin is older, 5" screen with no touch screen and limited depth capability (600' only).

This one is a 2 year old model, only $499 including the transducer, will go to 1100' in salt water (probably a little less in reality)-but better than 600' - and Yes, we do some deep drop fishing off bimini and would love to be able to reach 1500' but those fish finders cost a shit ton...(unless someone wants to point me at one). It has WIFI, so you can look at what it sees on your phone (which might be cool for sitting on the back of the boat).

Garmin ECHOMAP Plus 74cv with Transducer

Any opinions? Anyone got one?

I am looking to determine if you can touch screen enter GPS coordinates (I assume you can...but you know what happens when ASSume)!
I have the Garmin Echomap Plus 73Cv (touchscreen) and purchased the G3 Coast Waterways as the 73 model comes standard with LakeVu. I also opted for the thru-hull transducer (Airman P79). Got it on sale for $399 and the G3 card for $100. Touchscreen is the way to go. Right now I'm considering installing the nmea 2000 network.

Let me know if you have any questions.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have my garmin's 74dv/sv and my garmin 200 vhf radio, the fusion am/fm radio and the swim deck radio controls all run through the nmea 2000 backbone...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If only Yamaha's systems were all NMEA 2000 compliant....would be nice to put all the engine info into it too!

@bronze_10 So you can control your stereo and VHF through the Garmin? Gonna have to see this!!!

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am upgrading to fusion head unit next winter. Will be able to control the stations ect through plotter. I am not sure what features will go into radio when I upgrade that to a nmea2k unit.

I know it will plug other boats if have their info onto plotter from radio.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Idk what info connect screen gives you but if you get the plotter can install gfs10 fuel sensors and it will break down how much each engine is burning per hour.

I just installed second one because when testing in April having only 1 installed didnt give me correct fuel remaining on plotter. It was exactly double fuel used down to .1 of gallon when we filled up at end of day.

Testing to make sure I installed properly thos weekend. Excited to know how much I am burning and having reliable info instead of guessometer

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If only Yamaha's systems were all NMEA 2000 compliant....would be nice to put all the engine info into it too!

@bronze_10 So you can control your stereo and VHF through the Garmin? Gonna have to see this!!!
Yup.... garmin owns fusion so everything is compatable... as a matter if fact, the nmea 2000 back bone needs to be powered. When pluged int the fusion radio the radio will provide the power the back bone requires... I do wish I could get more engine info on it.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, doing some searching and have a question in regards to trim tabs.

How are Bennett? The reason I ask is garmin has an interface that would allow you to control them via chartplotter.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

How are Bennett? The reason I ask is garmin has an interface that would allow you to control them via chartplotter.
Probably one of the standards to follow and beat. Go for it!

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's probably a winter project, but if I can control from screen why not right, only $100 extra for module. If I can wire right in without buying controller for them night actually be cheaper.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian Everything is touch screen on this plotter. There is power on side and then preset buttons if you want to change to select screens.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bennett trim tabs are as good as any other, IMHO. I had a set of hydraulic Bennetts on a 30" performance boat I had and they worked well.

I hear Bennett now has a line of electric trim tabs as well, if you don't want hydraulic.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Bennett hydraulic tabs work great. No issues. Had them on my 192 and have them on my Chaparral. This boat I ordered the EIC controller (indicates the position of each tab). Really happy with it. Highly recommend.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
brotherman, when you get that installed I want to take a look at it.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tabbibus when I get the plotter installed? Or tabs/fusion head unit linked into plotter..