• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at used 12 SX190 what do I need to know?

Jeff0093

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi, Looking to upgrade from my 05 Bayliner 160 90hp O/B into a new or used boat. What is a fair market value for this 12 SX190 please PM me if we can't discuss price on the forum. If I do go to look at it soon what should I look for says it has under 20 hours, I saw a reference to a check list? Where do I find this on the forum. My big concern is how a jet boat handles the bumps on a lake. I'm on lake Candlewood in CT if any other members are in the area?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi, Looking to upgrade from my 05 Bayliner 160 90hp O/B into a new or used boat. What is a fair market value for this 12 SX190 please PM me if we can't discuss price on the forum. If I do go to look at it soon what should I look for says it has under 20 hours, I saw a reference to a check list? Where do I find this on the forum. My big concern is how a jet boat handles the bumps on a lake. I'm on lake Candlewood in CT if any other members are in the area?
First of all welcome to the forum Jeff. If you post your location you may find there are members near you, on our member map, where you can go for a ride along and get some great first hand intel on these boats.
On a low hour boat I would first look at the general overall condition in and out. If it is clean with little or no dock rash it would indicate, to me, the seller has probably kept his boat in good condition cosmetically and mechanically. I would check to see if the 10 hour service was performed. Make sure all electrical components and lights are working. No rips or punctures in the vinyl. Look in the engine compartment for signs of oil or water. Put the throttle in forward, go to the rear and reach in to feel the impeller for nicks. Remove and reinstall the clean out plug to make sure it's not stuck. Make sure you check the boat out on the water. Hopefully one of the 190 owners will chime in here and add some more tips.
These boats are light Jeff. Not sure what your Bayliner weighed but comparing the weights may give you an idea as to the ride but again, if there is a member near buy, you could probably get a ride to find out first hand. Let us know how you make out.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Jeff0093 I was just at Candlewood Country Club! @octavio3311 lives in your area (Brookfield).

You can look up the NADA values here: http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2012/Yamaha
In in the FAQ linked below, you will also find some links to checklists for new and used boats (both apply)

The smaller the boat, the more the waves will knock you around. Is there a reason you are looking at a 19' boat vs a 21 or 23'? You may well be better off going for an older 23' boat like a Yamaha SX230 or AR230...but perhaps you are weight limited on towing?

Jeff0093

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
thanks for the quick reply I've been on a lot of bigger boats and we seem to have more fun on the smaller boats, i think anything will be better on the waves then my bayliner. i'd love to go on a ride if anyone is in the area.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think Yamaha has $2,000 off small boats and $4,000 off MSRP for the 24 footers for the month of July. If you can also get lower interest for a newer boat, that may be the way to go. Worth checking out.

Jeff0093

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn't see that on the yamaha site but it is worth checking out, did you have a link. Rates seem the same for me used or new. Is the fuel cost a lot higher on the 192 compared to the 190?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boattest.com has reviews of the 190 and 192. The 192 burns almost twice as much fuel.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't see that on the yamaha site but it is worth checking out, did you have a link. Rates seem the same for me used or new. Is the fuel cost a lot higher on the 192 compared to the 190?
Maybe this is just a Surdyke thing, but I was under the impression it was Yamaha.

2014 Yamaha SX192
JULY SPECIAL!
Osage Beach , MO - Stock Number:
*Just announced rebates on all new Yamaha Sport Boats*

$4000 in Rebates on new 24 foot Yamahas and $2000 rebates on new 21 and 19 foot Yamaha Sport Boats! Limited Time Offer, Call or email NOW for details!

Powerful. Roomy. Affordable. This might juts be the perfect 19-foot boat.

With its Total Package of amenities and supercharged power, Yamaha’s SX192 has become the new industry standard in 19-foot boats. Compact enough to fit in your garage – yet big enough to seat your entire family – this satisfying runabout feels more like a 21-foot boat with its spacious cockpit and expansive swim platform. With its supercharged 1.8 liter Super High Output Yamaha Marine engine, the SX192 delivers big performance you won’t find on competing 19-foot boats. A trailer with swing-away tongue comes standard at no extra cost to make Carbon towing as effortless as owning Yamaha’s SX192.

*Price does not include freight, prep or tax. Prices are subject to change. Be sure to mention that you saw it on our website to get the special internet pricing!

Thank you for shopping with Surdyke Yamaha. We have been in business for over 40 years and have serviced and sold more power sports customers than any dealer in the Midwest. Here at Surdyke Yamaha "You ride on our reputation" is not only our company slogan but the foundation we hold strong to. Whether on the water, the road or the dirt . . . if it has wheels or floats we sell it and ride it!!!

Our Surdyke Family is the #1 Yamaha dealer in the mid-west not because we make customers but because we make friends!! Naturally we do not collect sales tax. Our standard administrative fee of $125.00 will be added to the price. We gladly accept trade-ins or will purchase your unit outright. Financing is available with approved credit. Prices are subject to change.

[boat][sb14]

View Full Description...
Call for more information at: 573-348-6575

Jeff0093

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah I thought I saw that about the 192. I'd give up some top speed for better fuel.

Jeff0093

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah didn't see that around here, but I can always ask. The promo I saw was 2.99 finance

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I moved up from a Bayliner 175 to an AR192 this year. I never would have taken my Bayliner out on Lake Michigan but didn't hesitate to take the Yamaha out there. It has that much more freeboard and handles big stuff so much better. I'm sure 21's 23's and 24's are a whole lot better but for me, I didn't want to upgrade my tow vehicle and wanted to keep storing the boat in my garage. Also fuel consumption is off the charts compared to the 3.0 merc in the Bayliner, but I knew that going in.

Jeff0093

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
how do you compare the 3.0L to the 192 for fuel the 3.0L isn't a very powerful boat from what I hear.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
For a small 17' bowrider it was decent, got me up around 45 mph. Not a real comparison, 2 different animals. I just noticed you were also coming from a smaller Bayliner.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I do know I could go a whole summer and fill the 15 gallon tank in the Bayliner maybe three or four times. So far in the 192 I fill up the 30 gallon tank every four outings or so.

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Jeff... welcome to the forum. I boat on lake Erie, known to be one of the wildest of the Great Lakes... it is shallow so the chop starts quickly and never really provides the big rollers of a deeper lake. I have found the 19ft handles the chop pretty comfortably with a reasonable speed. I have been out in 2-3 ft. chop... the boat does fine... I don't like getting banged around. So... into the chop I was doing 8 mph for comfort... down wind I could ride the chop at 18 mph.
Just bought our sx190 this year... and everyone is loving it. The comfortable seating and storage is amazing. Big hit is the swim deck.

I have moored it on the water in front of our lakefront home since mid june... NO issues... even with some wicked storms when 3 boat were beached due to anchor issues ??

Can't say enough about how great we feel about our decision to by the Yamaha... In my bay, the 19 ft is perfect for mooring 20 ft. from our sandy shore... fits in my garage with room to get around the folded tongue... I expect to do the minimal maintenance going forward.

All in all ... great package.

This forum will guide you thru ANYTHING you want to know about the boats... members helping members ... it is awesome.

My only issue is the wind and chop ... sometimes this big o'le lake makes for NON boating days too... and I want to play with my water toy...

good luck with the decision... with the yamaha... you won't regret the move...

oh.. and ... the handling ... a skill easily acquired with some time at the helm.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There's a couple of 190's on Candlewood.

Candlewood can get choppy - especially in Echo Bay and Brookfield Bay. Wind & traffic can really stir up the lake quite a bit. The 190/192 will do fine though - much better than your 16' Bayliner. Looking at the Bayliner spec sheet - the Yamaha is 3' longer, a foot and 1/2 wider, 800+ lbs heavier and has much higher freeboard. It would be a big improvement.

As for fuel - nothing will sip gas like that 3.0. I would personally look for a 190 and not the 192. The 192 burns way too much fuel for an extra 3-4 mph.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Good luck with your boat decision.
We purchased our 192 last season and have not regretted the decision.
Great family boat, lots of storage and plenty of power for water sports.
Choosing between the 190 and the 192, tough call. Fun boat either way. Minor upgrades between the 90 and 92, the 92 is fuel hungry BUT for us the extra oomph is worth it.
Some may disagree but that's why ice cream comes in different flavors.
Again fun boat either way you go, good luck and let us know what you end up purchasing.